- Mechanical Characterization of thin films, metals, ceramics using nanoindentation, microhardness, tensile, compression testing, Taber testing, friction and wear testing, nanoscratch testing.
- Structural and surface characterization of materials using SEM, EDX, XRD, AFM, optical microscopy, raman spectroscopy, image analysis methods.
- Physical and thermal characterization of metals and polymers using TGA-DSC, MS, XRF, and rheometry.
- Metallographic Specimen preparation of samples including mounting, polishing, dimpling, ion milling, etching and image analysis using ImagePro and ImageJ.
Undisclosed Company, Adjunct Research Scientist, 2010 - Present
- Growth and characterization of metal-oxide nanolaminates on Mg alloys for corrosion study.
- Metal-oxide (Mg/(MgO, Al2O3, SiO2, TiO2, ZrO2) multilayered nanolaminates were grown using RF, pulsed DC magnetron sputtering technique.
- Evaluated corrosion response of coatings on Mg alloys using potentiodynamics and electrochemical impedance spectroscopic (EIS) techniques.
- Effect of crystal orientation on the elastic-plastic and fracture properties of magnesium alloys.
- Mechanical properties of nanolaminates such as hardness, elastic modulus, friction, wear and fracture toughness are analyzed using nanoindentation, nanoscratch and tribometry test methods.
- Correlated incipient plasticity response of single crystal and polycrystalline metals and alloys such as slip and twinning deformations to reorientations using nanoindentation, XRD and EBSD methods.
- Investigated structure-property relationship using imaging tools like ImagePro, ImageJ and performed statistical analysis using Origin, Matlab and MiniTab.
- Created Design of Experiments (DOE) and Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for processes.
- Studied structure-property relationships of metallic-ceramic alloys and coatings using SEM-EDX, XRD, XRF, TGA-DSC, MS, Vickers, nanoindentation and mechanical testing methods.
Jet-Hot High Performance Coatings, Burlington, NC, Materials Scientist, 2010 - Present
- Developed a unique transparent, oxidation-resistant ceramic nanocoating using solid precursor by MOCVD, (Metal-Organic Chemical Vapour Deposition) method to prevent chrome discoloration in automotive exhaust pipes at high temperatures.
- Synthesized novel cermet, fluoropolymer coatings with improved, wear resistance, adhesion and corrosion resistance, properties using magnetron sputtering, CVD and sol-gel methods.
- Evaluated polymers including coating resins, pigments and additives using SEM-EDX,TGA-DSC, GC-MS, FTIR, UV-ViS, indentation, ball-on-disc tribometer, Taber testing, profilometry, rheometry and contact angle test methods.
- Designed customized thermal conductivity test procedures conforming to ASTM standards.
- Performed DOE on formulations, design and process FMEAs and process optimizations resulting in improvements in coatings performance and process efficiencies.
CVD Equipment Corporation, Ronkonkoma, NY, Project Engineer, 2009 - 2010
- Designed MOCVD and PECVD (Plasma-Enhanced Chemical Vapor Deposition) systems including gas systems, exhaust scrubbers, bubblers and electrical systems for growth of CNT, (Carbon Nanotube) arrays, thin films, silicon nanowires and semiconductor materials.
- Managed projects from conceptual stage and involved in driving them to completion including getting feedback from sales, customers and management
- Designed and optimized resistance, infrared and RF induction heating systems for CVD, ( Chemical Vapor Deposition) process
- Involved in cross-functional teams and coordinated communication and project progress at all stages.
Strata Solutions Inc. , Greensboro, NC, Senior Analyst, 2008 - 2009
- Managed supply chain demand planning data models and data for management reporting.
- Reviewed materials master and transaction data, configured and monitored data loads.
- Provided training and support to data analysts in data modeling and reporting.
RamTek Systems, St. Louis, MO, Senior Business Systems Analyst, 2007 - 2008
- Reviewed multidimensional data modeling for AMI Semiconductors supply chain data.
- Monitored loads and issues related to failed loads in the production environments.
- Optimized process parameters for minimal load times and maximum performance.
ONR-Center for Nanoscience and Nanomaterials, Greensboro, NC, 2006 - 2007
Postdoctoral Research Scientist
- Synthesized (Fe, Ni, Gd) nanocatalyst bed using magnetron sputtering and PLD, (Pulsed Laser Deposition) for growth of carbon nanotube (SWCNT, MWCNT) arrays up to 4mm long using CVD method for MRI applications.
- Evaluated CNT arrays growth and alignment using SEM, TGA-DSC, Raman Spectroscopy methods.
- Fabricated single domain magnetic nanoparticles and alumina-based nanocomposite thin films with improved mechanical and magnetic properties using (RF, DC) magnetron sputtering.
Center for Advanced Materials and Smart Structures, Greensboro, NC, 2001 - 2006
- Studied growth of Fe, Ni, Co, Mo nanoparticles and alumina-metal nanocomposites synthesized using PLD method and optimized process parameters for growth and size control.
- Achieved superhard coatings with precise control of Fe, Ni nanoparticles size up to 1 nm.
- Studied mechanical behavior of Al2O3/YSZ/TiN/AlN thin films for solid oxide fuel cell applications.
- Performed failure analysis and adhesion study of coatings using nanoindentation, nanoscratch tests to evaluate fracture toughness of thin films.
- Evaluated coercivity and magnetization of Fe, Ni, Gd, magnetic multilayers using PPMS, (Physical Properties Measurement System) method.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Research collaboration with NSF-Engineering Research Center, Greensboro, NC
- Editor for Intech open publishers
- Peer-Reviewer for journals Nanotechnology, Institute of Physics, Nanoletters, JMST
- 1 Book
- 1 Book Chapter
- 16 Presentations
- 40 Peer-reviewed Publications
- Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering, N, Carolina Agricultural and Technical University, Greensboro, NC
- M.S. Mechanical Engineering, N, Carolina Agricultural and Technical University, Greensboro, NC
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering, Nagarjuna University, Guntur, Andhra Pradesh, India