- National and international safety, industrial hygiene, security, and environmental management.
- SOCMA, including process hazards analysis, management of change and pre-start-up safety reviews, industrial safety and industrial hygiene, fire protection, emergency response both on and off-site, security, product stewardship and environmental issues.
- New safety and preparedness sustainability programs and waste minimization for various industries.
- EHS site assessments for safety and health evaluations, recommend education activities corporate program changes.
- Implementation of corrective action tracking - behavioral-based safety programs and development.
- Mine safety and health programs for surface and underground mining activities nationally and abroad. Design training programs of line managers and supervisors, mentoring safety and industrial hygiene staff and providing pre-construction support to engineering and design groups.
- Chemical and paper EHS programs, support and implementation for corporate executive branch.
- Pre-constructions consulting: Mentoring safety and industrial hygiene staff, providing support to engineering and design groups.
Undisclosed Company, Manager 2003 - Present
- Oversee the Environmental, Health, Safety and Security (EHS) program. This facility is the world's largest production site for of calcium hypochlorite, a water treatment chemical.
- Responsible for all aspects of the ChemSteward® Program under SOCMA, including process hazards analysis, management of change and pre-start-up safety reviews, industrial safety and industrial hygiene, fire protection, emergency response both on and off-site, security, product stewardship and environmental issues.
- Championed the site "5S" program, sustainability and waste minimization efforts.
- As EHS Manager, chaired the plant's Executive Safety Committee and acting representative on the local Community Advisory Panel (CAP), Community Awareness / Emergency Response (CAER) committee and Local Emergency Preparedness Committee (LEPC).
- Supported the corporate EHS organizations as needed at chemical facilities throughout the US, Brazil and South Africa.
Georgia-Pacific Building Products and Corporate Safety, Manager, 2000 - 2003
- Conducted site EHS assessments and scheduled and directed the safety and health evaluation activities of corporate and regional human resources staff.
- Promoted and assisted sites in achieving Voluntary Protection Program (VPP) status.
- Corrective action tracking, implementation of behavioral-based safety programs.
- Development of mine safety and health programs for surface and underground mining activities in the United States, Canada and Mexico.
- Training of line managers and supervisors, mentoring safety and industrial hygiene staff and providing pre-construction support to engineering and design groups.
- Provided industrial hygiene support to all operating divisions in the areas of noise control, laser operations, use of hazardous materials and worker exposure to toxins from the manufacturing processes.
- Supported the Process Safety Management and Risk Management groups at Georgia-Pacific's Chemical and Paper operations.
U.S. HealthWorks, (Health & Hygiene, Inc.), Senior Industrial-Safety Engineer, 1995 - 2000
- For the Greensboro, NC, offices of Health & Hygiene, Inc., managed the U.S. HealthWorks-Preventive Services Division.
- Supervised industrial hygienists and provided industrial hygiene, safety engineering and environmental compliance support to client organizations throughout the United States and Canada.
- Performed hazard analyses and detailed analytical sampling to determine worker's exposures to toxic materials and physical agents.
- Conducted technical edits for all reports issued through this office and managed all financial aspects of this location.
PrSM Corporation, Manager, 1994 - 1995
- Managed the Albuquerque facility in New Mexico with major clients and projects that included Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) facility closure.
- Supported Sandia National Laboratories corporate safety department and U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) implementing and developing of safety program guidelines.
Science Applications International Corporation, (SAIC), ESH Manager, 1988 - 1994
- Managed the Comprehensive ESH activities of SAIC's Waste Management and Safety Compliance Division in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
- Supported the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant (WIPP) Technical Assistance Contract (WTAC) as Manager of Site Support Services, managing a group providing industrial hygiene, occupational safety, radiation protection, and environmental compliance support to the DOE-Carlsbad Area Office (CAO).
- Served as the principal author of the Preliminary Safety Analysis of the Yucca Mountain Pilot Plant Project, and authored the initial Energy Isolation (Lockout) guidance for the US Navy (NAVOSH).
Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA), Managed Various EHS Projects, 1980 - 1988
Nuclear Power Site Consultant Support, Watts Bar Nuclear Plant, 1984 - 1988
- Industrial safety and industrial hygiene support to operational sections of the nuclear power station.
- Provided traditional safety and health services that included; risk assessments, operational readiness reviews for nuclear reactor re-start, on-site emergency preparedness, industrial hygiene, training, procedures development, and support to the Environmental Compliance Group.
ESH Evaluator, Division of Constructions, (TVA), 1980 - 1984
- Evaluated the safety and health program needs for the Division of construction.
- Planned, developed, and presented safety and health training to management and hourly personnel to meet the needs of over 30,000 employees and contractors across the Tennessee Valley region.
- Provided industrial hygiene support to the Division.
North Carolina Department of Labor, Supervisor and Inspector, 1974 - 1980
- Supervised mine inspection and training personnel in North Carolina's Mine & Quarry Division.
- Planed, scheduled, and conducted required courses in the North Carolina - Mine Safety and Health Institute.
- Conducted internal audits and administered Federal grant appropriation under the Mine Safety and Health to provide safety and health training to miners and mine operators.
- Certified by the U.S. Department of Labor - MSHA as an Instructor Trainer.
- Authored and assisted in the development of Mine Emergency Plans and Mine Training Plans throughout North Carolina.
Honors & Publications
- OSHA General Industry Outreach Trainer
- Laser Safety Officer
- Radiation Safety Officer
- Asbestos Abatement - Management Planner
- RC-14001/RCMS Auditor
- EPA Method 9 - Visible Emissions Evaluator
- Industrial Hygienist (CIH)
- Safety Professional (CSP)
- Hazardous Materials Manager (CHMM)
- Occupational Hearing Conservationist
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- For the East Tennessee Chapter of the American Society of Safety Engineers served as an instructor in the graduate school at the University of Tennessee-Knoxville (UT, University of Tennessee).
- Delivered courses to Masters of Science candidates in industrial hygiene and environmental monitoring instrumentation, safety engineering fundamentals, and Environmental, Safety, and Health Program Management.
- At UT developed and instructed courses that prepared candidates for the CSP and CIH examinations.
- M.S. Safety, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN
- B.S. Geology, Guilford College Greensboro, NC