- Free radical polymer synthesis including emulsion, solution, bulk, suspension, ATRP (Atom-Transfer Radical-Polymerization).
- Condensation polymer synthesis including polyesters, nylon, polyethers (Ullmann synthesis).
- Small molecule organic synthesis (1-4 steps) with emphasis on acrylic and methacrylic monomers.
- Characterization of organic molecules using standard techniques such as NMR, IR, UV/Vis, mass spectrometry.
- Characterization of polymers using standard techniques such as HPLC, TGA, DSC, and viscosities.
- Isolation and purification of polymers.
- Kinetics studies to elucidate reaction mechanisms and determine important reaction parameters.
- Experimental designs and statistical analyses.
Independent Consultant, 1999 - Present
- Benz Research and Development: Designing synthesis lab which includes lining up suppliers and subcontractors. Identifying contract labs to synthesize monomers for their lens business.
- Saved $60 thousand in charges over previous lab that they were using.
- Abbey Color: Resolved various technical and process questions concerning their dye business and re-write material safety data sheets.
- Cytosorbents: Designed and synthesized various polymers to be used to treat hyperphosphatemia.
- LonzaGroup: Development of new biocides.
- Church and Dwight: Conducted formulation studies on new consumer product.
Polysciences, Warrington, PA, Custom Synthesis Group Leader, 2003 - 2012
- Responsible for developing synthetic procedures and processes for the manufacture of organic molecules and polymers for pharmaceutical and ophthalmological applications.
- Developed process and manufactured a number of batches of a polymeric delivery system for chemotherapeutic compound.
- Optimized process for a blue blocker monomer used in intraocular lenses.
- Reduced manufacturing cost by more than 50%.
- Designed and synthesized a series of monomers for ophthalmological applications.
- Co-developed the synthetic procedure and supervised the manufacturing team for a specialty monomer for one of our customers.
- Safety committee chairman responsible for the company safety program.
- Developed product including synthetic procedure for a material used in diabetes test strips.
Abbey Color, Philadelphia, PA, Technical Director, 2000 - 2003
- Directed staff in conducting all quality control work within the company.
- Developed process and scaled up manufacturing procedure for new dye.
- Did trouble shooting for plant manufacturing problems.
- Revised SOP and did validation runs for a USP product.
- Conducted lab studies on the purification of tannin.
Rohm and Haas, Philadelphia, PA, 1975 - 1999
Lead Chemist, Biocides
- Developed manufacturing process for new isothiazolone biocide and scaled up at three different plant locations.
- Project team leader for isolating causes of color problems with isothiazolone products.
- Conducted extensive studies on the thermal dissociation of isothiazolone hydrochloride as an isolation method.
Group Leader, Polymer Process Research
- Directed a process group in the scale up of polymeric additives for PVC, (Polyvinyl Chloride).
- Developed data base for the preparation and incorporation of thermal oxidative stabilizers in budadiene/styrene modifiers for PVC..
Senior Chemist, Modifiers
- Conducted laboratory studies to resolve plant quality issues.
- Became organoleptic expert for modifiers in PVC water bottles.
Diamond Shamrock, Baltimore, MD, Plant Development Chemist, 1969 - 1971
- Scaled up a number of products in the Baltimore plant.
Honors & Publications
- French: reading knowledge
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Chemical Society
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
Four research awards from Rohm and Haas
- Presenting a paper at Antec
- Resolving a very complex process problem
- Thermal dissociation studies
Publications and Patents
- Author of educational text, articles in peer reviewed journals and conference subject matters
- 2 U.S. patents.
- Ph.D. Physical Organic Chemistry, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD
- B.A. Chemistry, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD