- Lens Designer with Zemax Optic Studio - Professional License
- Spectrometer designer
- Smartphone accessory designer
- Head-mounted display designer
- Picoprojector designer
- Stray light analyst
- Polarization analyst
- Diffraction analyst
- Thermal analyst
- Fiber optics modeling expert.
- Thin film modeling expert.
- Laser beam propagation expert.
- In-house optical prototyping bench and arduino-based electronics breadboards.
- Specializing in quick turn-around, low cost designs (COTS Commercial Off-The-Shelf -based when applicable).
- Lens design and tolerancing, laser beam propagation (single and multimode), stray light analysis, hologram modeling, GRIN media modeling, diffraction analysis, thin film coating modeling, modeling of complex sources and detectors, thermal analysis and fiber coupling analysis.
Undisclosed Company, Independent Consultant, 2011 - 2014
- Design optics for: A spectrometer, head-mounted display, smartphone optical accessory, diode laser collimator, LED collimator, 3D printer, purification system, dermascope, eyepiece, and a large-scale projector.
- Review additional optical concepts for feasibility.
- Provide troubleshooting for fiber optic systems.
- Provide custom designs and off-the-shelf solutions for various optical applications.
Micron Technologies, Longmont, CO, Sr. Optical Engineer, 2012 - 2012
- Designed optics for FLCOS-based picoprojectors and viewers.
Ball Aerospace and Technologies, Boulder, CO, Sr. Optical Engineer, 2002 - 2011
- Developed opto-mechanical models of scientific instruments and analyzed the effects of stray light (surface scatter, glints, polarization effects, fluorescence, diffraction, interference, ghosting, ASE, etc.) on performance.
- Applications included LIDAR, lasercom, remote sensing, thermal imaging, and astronomy.
- Designed optical instruments and test systems.
Flextronics, (Wave Optics), Staff Physicist, 2000 - 2001
- Supported fiber optic product development, manufacturing and testing.
Maxtor-Advanced Technology, Head Media Engineer, 1999 - 2000
- Failure analyst for pilot-line computer hard drives. Identified root causes related to chemical integration.
- Designed and executed experiments to characterize particle generation and flow in hard drives.
National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Graduate Research Scientist, 1997 - 1998
- Through spectroscopy, revealed the chemistry involved in CdTe/CdS solar cell back contact formation that contributed to the development of more practical manufacturing methods.
Honors & Publications
- Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)
- Zemax OpticStudio Professional license
Publications and Patents
- Author and Co-Author of articles in peer reviewed scientific journals and international conferences.
- M.S. Optics, University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL
- M.S. Physics, University of California, Santa Cruz, CA
- B.S. Physics, University of California, Santa Cruz, CA