- EPDM, Rubber, and thermoplastics.
- Styrenic block copolymers: Markets, applications and manufacturing technology.
- Ethylene elastomers: Markets, applications and manufacturing technology.
- Thermoplastic elastomers: Products, applications, and manufacturing, markets, chemistry, properties and applications.
- Specialty chemicals: Polyurethane additives, catalysts and manufacturing technology.
- Technical and commercial management experience in a variety of markets and products.
Undisclosed Company, Technical Consultant, 2009 - Present
- Strategic market analysis in thermoplastic elastomers and thermoset rubber for Thermoplastic Vulcanizates, (TPV) versus s- Thermoplastic Elastomers, (TPE) markets.
- Market development for Styrene-Butadiene-Styrene, (SBS) in U.S. roofing and paving markets.
- Due diligence on Santoprene™ TPV acquisition.
- Market development of styrenic block copolymers for fortune 50 joint venture company.
- Assessment of a company merger for effects on competitive sphere which included detailed analysis of cost and market positions.
- Technical support of heavy duty radiator hose selection and application - transit buses.
- Product development for impact modifiers in polyamide industry.
- Ongoing support to several clients on market matters concerning elastomers, feedstocks and capacity.
Septon Company, Pasadena, TX, Director, Sales and Marketing, 2001 - 2009
- Built sales and commercial team to support Americas business in HSBCs.
- Established technical service organization to support North and South American business, including establishment of a compounding pilot line, physical testing facility, and instrumental analysis laboratory.
- Increased sales by 11-18% per year, after U.S. plant started.
- Expanded major customer base from 15 to 45 accounts, sales increase from $30 million to nearly $100 million.
- Developed new business in untapped markets such as lubricant modifiers, adhesives, elastomeric films and communication cable.
- Grew business in TPE and compounding industries by additional of new accounts and strategic partnerships with legacy accounts.
- Led commercial development of dynamically vulcanized styrenic TPE to compete with o-TPV.
- Developed and execute strategies to expand TPE business beyond traditional Styrene-Ethylene/Butylene-Styrene, (SEBS) and related products.
- Implemented new product introductions in:
- Thermoplastic Polyurethanes, (TPU) replacement with SEBS.
- Adhesive polymers for glass and metal adhesion.
- Lubricant additives for high performance engines.
Kuraray America ,Houston, TX, Director- Sales and Marketing, 2001 - 2009
- Developed and managed Americas sales and technical organization.
- Grew business from over $4 million to $20 million in a six year period.
DSM Elastomers, Baton Rouge, LA, Product Manager- EPDM, 1990 - 2001
- Managed Ethylene Propylene Diene, (EPDM) product line within global supply space for U.S. and export
- Global project management for various projects: Thermoplastic Polymers, (EP) latex, TPV and masterbatch product line.
- Managed day-to-day business operations of EPDM product line, logistics, and sourcing for U.S., Japanese, and European made Electron Paramagnetic/Spin Resonance, (EPR) and EPDM.
- Provided support and direction to U.S. field sales force. Markets included tire, automotive, industrial, lubricant additives, plastic modifiers, and adhesives.
- Created and monitored sales budgets for annual sales measurement, new market expansion, marketing plans, and account management.
- Led team that acquired Sarlink® o-TPV product line from Polysar/Nova Petrochemicals.
Business Development Manager and Sales Territory Manager, Specialties and Plastics
- Created compounded masterbatch product line for Thermoplastic Polylefin, (TPO) market penetration.
- Developed new EPDM customers for olefinic TPV market.
- Expanded customer base in TPO/TPE segment by over 300% in three years.
Polysar, Inc., Akron, OH, Business Development Manager, 1986 - 1990
- Identify acquisition prospects for business expansion such as thermoplastic toll compounding.
- Market development for thermoplastic vulcanizate new product introduction.
Business Development Manager, Specialty Products Division
- Part of team that developed Sarlink o-TPV, first competitor to Santoprene®.
- Evaluations of acquisition candidates, technology agreements and product licensing for expansion of division.
- Developed strategic plans and investment analysis for a variety of business opportunities.
- Implemented product distribution system for silicone rubber compounding business unit.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Thermoplastic Elastomer (TPE) Special Interest Group-Board of Directors
- Society of Plastics Engineers, South Texas
- American Chemical Society, (ACS), Member- Rubber Division
- Energy Rubber Group, Member
- Various commercial and technical papers submitted to ACS and SPE.
- M.B.A. Finance, Cleveland State University, Cleveland, OH
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, Cleveland State University, Cleveland, OH