- Development of gem quality single crystal diamonds.
- Create up to 20*20 mm single crystal diamond samples.
- Installation of new CVD (Chemical Vapor Deposition) machines and qualified the tool and process.
- CVD, PVD systems, characterization techniques like SEM, EDS, AFM, Raman, XRD, electrical resistivity and capacitance measurements, etching, optical, infra-red spectroscopy tools, mass and emission spectrometer techniques.
- Laboratory set-up consisting characterization tools and methods for the processing of diamond samples.
- Swagelok, VCR connections and fittings, different types of vacuum pumps, and other high vacuum system issues.
- Raman spectroscopy study of the influence of processing conditions.
- Low surface temperature synthesis and characterization of thin films.
- Microstructural and biological properties of nanocrystalline coatings.
Independent Consultant, Research Scientist, 2012 - Present
- Responsible for development of gem quality single crystal diamond.
- Demonstrated capability to create up to 20*20 mm single crystal diamond samples.
- Oversaw the installation of new CVD machines and qualified the tool and process.
- Set-up the lab with characterization tools and methods for the processing of diamond samples.
- Involved in research and development for improvement in reactor design.
- Ensured repeatability in the process to produce single crystal diamond samples.
- Development of thin film products; highly insulating, hard, wear-resistant, and corrosion-resistant diamond- like-carbon coatings on inner diameter surfaces of stainless steel and carbon steel parts of varying dimensions.
JDS Uniphase Corporation, Santa Rosa, CA Process Development Engineer, 2011 - 2012
- Responsible for process development of thin film oxides and nitrides using pulsed DC reactive magnetron sputtering.
- Leading the research and development of new oxide materials for optical filter applications in the ultraviolet wavelength range.
- Involved in writing project plans, reviews and reports.
Sub-One Technologies, Inc., Pleasanton, CA, Sr. Application Engineer, 2009 - 2011
- Responsible for new products and process development. Managed operation of several CVD process tools.
- Involved in significant research and development to obtain erosion resistant and high growth rate coatings
- Ensured that all the machines were operating with research and development or production parts.
Technology Development Engineer, 2008 - 2009
- Responsible for operation and maintenance of a pulsed DC plasma enhanced chemical vapor deposition machine.
- Developed processes to grow highly insulating, hard, wear-resistant, and corrosion-resistant diamond- like-carbon coatings on inner diameter surfaces of stainless steel and carbon steel parts of varying dimensions.
- Developed process recipes for the coatings depending on customer specifications.
- Managed several projects to completion in a timely manner along with demo reports.
Michigan State University, E. Lansing, MI, Post-Doctoral Research Associate, 2006 - 2008
- Project Engineer
Fraunhofer U.S.A, Center for Coatings and Laser Applications, East Lansing, MI
- Executed diamond system-1 Microwave Plasma Enhanced Chemical Vapor Deposition (MPECVD) machine up and running - Involved in troubleshooting and diagnostics.
- Developed a process to grow highly conducting boron-doped diamond films with good adhesion on silicon, silicon dioxide, titanium, niobium and tungsten substrates for electrochemical electrode applications.
- Worked on meeting customer specifications during coating development.
- Optimized deposition conditions to obtain high growth rate defect-free boron-doped single crystal diamond at high pressure and high temperature.
- Depositing heteroepitaxial layers of (100) and (111) diamond on platinum/MgO and platinum/sapphire.
University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH, 2000 - 2005
Materials Science Graduate Research Assistant
- Deposition of diamond thin films by MPECVD technique and optimized their properties.
- Designed set of experiments to grow smooth nanocrystalline diamond (NCD) films.
- Accomplished high growth rate of these films, good quality n-type and p-type doped diamond.
- Fabricated capacitors based on metal-insulator-metal structures and obtained high resistivity NCD films to operate beyond 500 ℃.
- Developed electrical conduction mechanisms in undoped microcrystalline, nanocrystalline and nitrogen-doped diamond.
- Upgraded the CVD system with a liquid precursor delivery line for liquid precursors like 2, 4, 6 triethyl borazine and N, N, N, trimethyl borazine.
- Installed a Quadrupole Mass Spectrometer (QMS) and Optical Emission Spectrometer (OES) to monitor the in-situ plasma diagnostics. Implemented this by building special stage and supports.
- Built high vacuum connections and operated the PECVD system.
- Maintained equipment and trouble shoot problems during breakdown.
- Kept inventory of parts and made purchase orders.
Central Michigan University, Mt. Pleasant, MI, Research Assistant, 1998 - 2000
- Prepared stoichiometric CuIn1-xGaxSe2 thin films that are typically used for solar cell applications by Flash Evaporation technique.
- Determined the optical parameters and band gap of the films.
- Modified the thermal Evaporation system setup to obtain desired coating properties.
Honors & Publications
- Thesis - "Preparation and Characterization of Thin Films".
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Indian Association of Physics Teacher's
- Society of Physics Students
- Sigma Pi Sigma (Physics Honor Society)
- National Society of Collegiate
- American Ceramic Society
- Tuition waiver at Central Michigan University
- University Graduate Scholarship at University of Cincinnati
- University Research Council Summer Research Fellowship
Publications and Patents
- Author and Co-Author of numerous publications in peer reviewed journals and conferences.
- 2 patents.
- Ph.D. Materials Science and Engineering, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH
- M.S. Physics, Central Michigan University, Mt .Pleasant, MI
- M.Sc. Physics, Indian Institute of Technology, Madras, India
- B.Sc. Physics, University of Madras, Madras, India