- Commercial leadership in the global life sciences industries, with extensive experience guiding both large and small life-science companies.
- Life science commercial strategy development.
- Product development (commercial): Clinical study design, labeling development, and KOL networks.
- Product launch in various disease states and platforms including diagnostics, vaccines and nutriceuticals.
- Market access strategy development: expert recommendation, Key Opinion Leader (KOL) in support, pricing, policy, coverage and reimbursement.
- Disease awareness strategy and program development.
- Positioning of products or companies in competitive markets.
- Overall pharmaceutical support in business strategy, tactical development, new product launches, profit and loss management, and sales and marketing.
- Cross cultural team leader and collaborator with experience in Europe, North America, Latin America, the Middle East, and Asia.
- Competitive Assessment and brand and company differentiation.
Expert Witness Experience
- Grand Jury Testimony - Pharmaceutical in several cases: Medical education, marketing, and pricing practices for the U.S. District Court, Boston, MA.
- Department of Justice Inquiry - Pharmaceutical pricing and contracting for the U.S. District Court, Boston, MA
- Deposition - Pharmaceutical patent infringement and penalty phase infringement, Philadelphia, PA.
- Legal Strategy Development - Pricing practices civil case, Collegeville, PA.
Undisclosed Company, Owner, 2011 - Present
- Advised senior leaders on launch and commercialization strategy for biotechnology products.
- Monitor, communicate and consult on vaccine industry trends.
- Developed comprehensive global launch plan for 2nd generation TB vaccine.
- Developed and presented (venture capital) business plan for new medical supply company.
Clients and Projects - Biotechnology Consulting
Undisclosed Company, Dietary Supplement and Launch
- Develop commercial plan.
- Obtain investor funding.
- Secure partnership agreements.
Silagene, Inc., Hillsboro NJ
- Support request for funding grant.
- Provide commercial assessment.
Institutes for Pharmaceutical Discovery, Branford, CT
- Developing and launching unique business opportunities for medical markets.
- Secured funding and acquired rights to market a unique dietary supplement to medical specialties.
- Developed business plan, branding etc. for the launch of a unique supplement.
- Launched a uniquely positioned dietary supplement through urology specialists' medical practices.
- Hired and managed a team of 5 employees to conduct the launch and marketing of the new product.
Emergent Biosolutions, Rockville, MD
- Developed global business plan for a new tuberculosis vaccine.
- Developed a global partnering and sales model for a new vaccine business unit.
Pfizer Pharmaceuticals, Vaccines, Collegeville, PA, Vice President, 2009 - 2010
- Supported the launches of Prevenar 13 for both infant and adult indications
- Co-led the team to refine the global vaccines business strategy for Pfizer and provided recommendations on internal and external assets in pursuit of portfolio strategy.
- Evaluated and met with vaccine companies to discuss a variety of vaccine technology acquisitions.
- Evaluated and provided commercial recommendations on new vaccine technologies.
- Developed business governance structure for the global network of vaccines businesses.
- Member of the Vaccines Leadership and Infectious Disease Area Leadership Teams.
- Advised commercial groups on global vaccine policy issues.
Wyeth Pharmaceuticals, Vaccines, Collegeville, PA, 1991 - 2010
- Serving the positions of Vice President and Global Business Manager of adult vaccines.
- For a new commercial vaccine group built, launched the next blockbuster vaccine and first adult pneumococcal conjugate vaccine with expected growth of over $2 billion.
- Created vision and strategy for building a marketing department to launch first of a kind adult vaccine, and recruited a new team of 14 marketing specialists.
- Developed global launch strategy, branding, and positioning for a new pneumococcal vaccine.
- Secured over $40 million in global funds and expanded the global team to 25 professionals.
- Global profit and loss responsibility; U.S. P&L responsibility and direct management.
- Designed and supported implementation of the U.S. adult vaccine sales force, (recruits and deploy).
- Led the process to train and target adult vaccine sales force.
- Led the process for supporting policy and positive recommendation (ACIP) for PCV13 in U.S. and to support similar recommendations within the EU, Latin America and Asia.
- Built alliances with infectious disease organizations (NFID, ESCMID, ASM, FIDEC and IDSA).
- Established strong relationships with GMs, marketing directors, meeting in various locations, Europe, Latin America and Asia.
- Networked and strengthened relationships with, global government and NGO infectious disease organizations relating to adult vaccine policy, (e.g., CDC, WHO, ECDC).
Assistant Vice President, Vaccines New Business - Prevenar 13, 2006 - 2008
- Responsible for developing and executing the global launch strategy and plan for Prevenar 13 pediatric and adult indications.
- Developed global launch strategy for launching PCV13 in the competitive pediatric market and the new adult indication.
- Communicated these strategies effectively to all affiliate General Managers and marketing teams.
- As Chairman of the Global Launch Committee, partnered with General Managers of major European, Latin American and Asian affiliates to structure launch investment and approach.
- Designed structure and recruited marketing personnel for both pediatric and adult global teams.
- Co-developed lifecycle strategy for pneumococcal vaccine franchise.
- Created a new marketing department to prepare for the launch of Wyeth's largest vaccine.
- Provided input for clinical and regulatory strategy.
Assistant Vice President, Cardiovascular Business, Altace Marketing, 2005 - 2006
- Appointed by and reported to Executive VP and GM of Pharma Business Unit.
- Led U.S marketing group.
- Differentiated Altace in highly genericized ACE Inhibitor market through unique indication.
- U.S. profit and loss responsibility $105 million marketing and sales spend annually.
- Increased profit by 25% ($20 million) through increased sales and eliminating unnecessary spending.
- Optimized asset by restructuring licensing deal which retained annual revenue of over $225 million.
- Boosted profit by eliminating unproductive promotional activity.
- Directly negotiated divestiture of asset as well as terms of new partnership.
- Commercial representative on cross functional licensing and acquisitions team for CV/GI and other non-core technology areas.
- Managed co-marketing and sales alliance with King Pharmaceuticals.
Area Business Director, Sales Management, NE Business Unit, 2003 - 2004
- Led and managed the regional sales force in two states (PA & WV). The team consisted of 10 sales directors, 10 specialty and 105 primary care sales representatives.
- Position included sales goal attainment as well as leadership and human resource management responsibilities.
- Improved area ranking from 15 to 5 (out of 23) areas in U.S.
- Generated over $50 million growth in PA and WV off of a base of $400 million.
- Restructured Psychiatry Specialty group to enhance performance in key product.
- Introduced a new management advancement program based on sales results and management skills.
- Subsequently promoted 18 representatives or managers in two years.
- Selected as member of Senior Sales Council.
Group Product Director, Gastrointestinal Marketing, PPI, Protonix®, 2001 - 2003
- Marketing: Reported to VP of GI/CV Marketing.
- Developed highly successful launch strategies for the Hospital, Specialty and Primary Care markets.
- U.S. profit and loss responsibility; over $200 million marketing and sales budget annually.
- Fastest product in corporate history to reach $1 billion in annual sales (peak over $2 billion).
- Product attained #1 status in hospital and MCO formularies for PPI class (audited).
- Successfully managed a variety of supply chain issues and prevented lost sales.
- Launched first intravenous proton pump inhibitor.
- Directed launch of Protonix; categorized in the top 10-best pharmaceutical launches in the U.S.
- Provided commercial recommendation for the Wyeth to acquire the license of pantoprazole.
- Managed business alliance with Byk Gulden / Altana Pharmaceuticals (Germany).
- Renegotiated product agreement with Byk to extend marketing reach and improve P&L.
- Managed U.S. lifecycle strategy for pantoprazole based compounds.
- Evaluated, proposed and pursued new business opportunities in GI area including proton pump inhibitors, prokinetics and combination therapies.
- Transferred site of manufacture to save an additional $10 million in COGs.
Product Director, Gastrointestinal Marketing, PPI - Protonix, 1998 - 2001
- Position established to brand, position, price, messaging, and launch new GI product.
Senior Product Manager, Musculoskeletal, Anti-Arthritics (NSAID), Lodine®, 1995 - 1998
- Marketing and Business Development accountability.
International Product Manager, Diabetes, Alredase®, 1991 - 1995
- Responsible for helping marketing director construct a business model and launch the first aldose reductase inhibitor for preventing diabetic complications.
- Focused on markets in Europe, Asia and Latin America.
Honors & Publications
- Executive Education Course Work
- Harvard Business / Harvard Law Schools-Vantage Negotiating Skills
- University of Pennsylvania, Wharton Business School - Value Creation; Global Positioning
- Wyeth Global Executive Leadership Program
- President's Golden Circle (Top 2% of company)
- President's Excellence and Recognition Awards (Protonix Team)
- Project Team Achievement Award, (pantoprazole)
- Brand Team Award - Bronze, Product Management Today, Protonix
- Reader's Choice - Bronze, Product Management Today, "Gerdie" campaign
- Toth Award - Best of Show, Public Relations Society (National) "Protonix"
- B.S. Biology, Ursinus College, Collegeville, PA