Glass Bottle Use, Quality, and Fracture Analysis Expert Witness
Technical Consultant #2019
- Glass bottle use, design, manufacturing, filling, and distribution.
- Glass fracture analysis.
- Packaging development and commercialization.
- Supply chain transformation.
- Process improvement.
- Beverage industry best practices.
- Bottle lightweighting and fracture analysis.
- Cost reduction and troubleshooting.
Expert Witness Experience
- Proper packaging for a flammable liquid in product liability.
- Fracture analysis of a glassware in a product liability.
- Expected behavior of glass bottle in a criminal assault case.
- Analysis of flame arrestor performance in a product liability.
- Analysis of pharmaceutical supplier packaging inspection in a product liability.
- Glass plant audits and beverage best practices in arbitration.
- Package analysis and packaging practices in glass ingestion product liability.
- Provide the history of soft drink glass bottle development in product liability.
- Package and, or fracture analysis in soft drink counterfeiting and extortion.
Undisclosed Company, Owner, 2010 Present
- Independent Consultant assisting in private equity firms.
- Evaluate the operations of a packaging material recycler.
- Identified cause and remedy for glass beverage bottle finish damage in Africa and Asia through a series of sight audits.
- Used statistical analysis to identify the shortcoming of QA procedures to prevent customer complaints.
- Procedures assumed that all potential issues were mold related, so random defects were disregarded.
- Applied Six-Sigma principles to decrease rejects by 50% by changing operating procedures.
- Improved worker safety, product quality, and production efficiency of a manual product assembly operation in China.
- Reduced packaging cost by eliminating redundant packaging after identifying the root cause of damage losses in production and distribution.
- Decreased downtime by 75% on a bottling line by identifying maintenance deficiencies.
- Glass container expert applying knowledge of glass containers to reduce bottle weight, decrease bottle breakage, and improve bottle production efficiency.
- Identified the root cause at the glass production plant causing pressure sensitive label application problems at wineries.
- Participated as the packaging and filling expert on a cross-functional team debottlenecking the production of oral care products.
- Expert witness and technical advisor in product liability, commercial arbitration, and criminal prosecution cases.
- Type of clients included; glass container manufacturers, plastic bottle suppliers, label suppliers, sanitation chemical suppliers, ingredient suppliers, CPG companies in health care and baby products sectors, brewers, beverage suppliers, equipment suppliers, consulting firms, private equity firms, and attorneys.
The Coca-Cola Company, Atlanta, GA, Sr. Manager Supply Chain Optimization, 2010 - 2005
- Collected information from internal partners (marketing, product/package development, environment, and customer account teams), as well as bottlers and suppliers.
- Create a roadmap for the "Supply Chain of the Future", providing flexibility to produce an ever-increasing number of different products required to grow volume.
- Used roadmap to fill technology development pipeline required to transform the $60 billion supply chain across 200 countries.
- Presented the roadmap to franchise bottlers who agreed with the direction and prioritized the next developments.
- Revolutionized beverage production by inventing technology that allows instantaneous flavor changes with no production interruption.
- Identified a previously unknown industry food safety issue with refillable glass that potentially impacted $3B of company sales.
- Partnered with suppliers and competition to develop a solution that was retrofitted onto 500 filling line bottle washers around the world.
- Identified CO2 leakage as a problem wasting $50 million annually. Found a supplier offering a leak detection service that yielded a five-week payback for many of our 800 plants.
- Applied six-sigma methods to optimize refillable glass washing parameters.
- Initiated development of digitally printed packaging and online package printing technology that is now revolutionizing the market.
Packaging Development Consultant, 2005 - 1982
- Glass team leader and glass packaging subject matter Expert for technical performance of 43B consumer transactions in 175 countries; included 40 billion refillable glass bottles.
- Streamlined the glass package supply chain by developing bottles that are up to 50% stronger, 40% lighter, and 20% less expensive. This increased filling line efficiency, decreased distribution breakage, and lowered COGS. Lower price points opened new sales channels.
- Persuaded markets to implement the new technology.
- After ten years of declining glass sales, the glass performance improvements led to two consecutive years of sales volume increases including 30 million incremental cases of product sold in Mexico enabled by a 24% weight reduction.
- Use fracture analysis and other data to identify root cause of glass container issues.
- Provided technical support to operations around the world for glass bottles including supplier development, troubleshooting, and new introductions.
- Technical advisor and expert witness to corporate legal department.
- Resource of last resort when glass package and filling issues could not be solved locally.
- Introduced the refillable PEN plastic bottle for water in Germany; this was the first use of PEN, a material easier to clean than PET for a beverage bottle.
- Developed the heat transfer label for glass bottles.
- Served as Packaging Manager for company's re-entry to India after a 15-year absence.
- Provided packaging options to marketing division, identified suitable suppliers for all packaging needs, qualified the bottles, closures, and plastic cases, and trained the local packaging staff.
Honors & Publications
- Six Sigma Green Belt
- Certified Packaging Professional, Institute of Packaging Professionals
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Product Development and Management Association (PDMA)
- International Society of Beverage Technologists (ISBT)
- Institute of Packaging Professionals (IoPP)
- American Chemical Society (ACS)
- Master Brewers Association of the Americas (MBAA)
Publications and Patents
- Author of numerous publications and U.S. patents.
- MBA Administration, Management, Georgia State University, Atlanta, GA
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering, Georgia Tech, Atlanta, GA