- Software design and software analysis on mineral liquor concentrators using cartridge membrane, (RO), Reverse Osmosis and (NF) Nanofiltration elements) ion exchange, (DOWEX) modules.
- Hands on experience on a variety of electrochemical techniques (i.e. CV, Pulse,.AC impedance) applied to corrosion and energy devices (fuel and galvanic cells).
- Macromolecular (Polyelectrolyte), colloid, and surfactant thin film deposition onto surfaces using aqueous and non-aqueous media.
- Soft gel formulations related to fluorinated electrolytes/non-ionic polyelectrolytes.
- Macromolecular thin-film characterization obtained by surface techniques, (ATR, Attenuated Total Reflectance , SEM, Scanning Electron Microscopes, AFM, Atomic Force Microscopy).
- Macromolecular aqueous and non-aqueous solution handling related to nano-coatings.
- In situ liquid and solution bulk analysis using attenuated spectroscopy.
- Preparation of ultra clean surfaces used in electrochemical, catalysis, and nano-coating processes.
- Deposition of ultra-hydrophobic surfaces.
- Chemical education software development using Visual Basic 2010 platform.
Expert Witness Experience
- Provided expert witness for IP dispute over the design of a cyclic carbonation reactor.
Independent Consultant, Present
- Expert in designing pilot plant facilities and leading supervisory role in conducting research related to carbon capture and waste processing (metal and mineral waste) technology.
- Principles and software assessment (ROSA, Excel-RO) related to mineral liquor concentrators using cartridge membrane (i.e. Nanofiltration (NF), Microfiltration (MF), Reverse Osmosis (RO) systems, and other filtration systems, pH-carbonation reactors and reactor analysis, flue gas analysis and processing, and ion exchangers CADIX, Excel-IX) modules.
- Process design (BFDs as basis of PFDs, and PIDs) of industrial mineralization schemes related to mass and energy balance.
- Coordinated and mediated a cooperation agreement between two companies acting as a consultant to the CEO of one company.
- Design a new prototype that processes scrap metals and waste salts to produce specialty chemicals pending investor approval.
Analytical Research Experience
- Aqueous and non-aqueous bulk sample analysis and characterization, (FTIR, UV-Vis, ATR, ICP, AAS, Zeta). Study confined to quantitative and qualitative analysis of salts, soluble polymers, nano and micro particles (i.e. colloids) or powders and organic matter.
- Chemical and physical techniques to prepare ultra clean metallic, polymer, semiconductor, and ceramic surfaces for electrochemical and film deposition.
- Methods to deposit ultra-hydrophobic water repellent micro-thin film coatings on metallic, polymer, and ceramic surfaces.
- Analytical instrument applications confined to (i) optical spectroscopy (e.g. UV-Vis, FTIR, ATR, RAMAN), surface probe, (SEM, AFM), (ii) atomic spectroscopy, (ICP, AAS, XFS), (iii) chromatographic (e.g. GC, GC-MS, GC-FTIR, HPLC, IC), (iv) powder/polymer (Zeta, LS.), (v) Electro-analytical (RDE, AC impedance, ISE, Potentiostatic methods), (vi) Contact angle, MVD, TGA.
- Detection and measurement related to surface kinetics and mass transfer at electrode surfaces.
- Formulated soft gels and thin films of high ionic conduction tested for applications in fuel cells, super-capacitors, ion selective electrodes, and batteries.
- Teaching at the university level qualitative and quantitative Instrumental Analysis: (i) Optical spectroscopy: FTIR, ATR, SPR, UV-Vis, Raman, (ii) chromatographic methods: GC, LC, HPLC, GPC,.GC-MS, LCMS, (iii) Mass spectrometers: ICP-MS, EIS-MS, MALDI, TOF, d-focus, Quadrupole,.Ion trap, (iv) Optical Atomic spectroscopy: AAS, AFS, ICP, (v) Electrochemistry/ Electro-analytical: RDE, CV, ISE.
ENGSL Minerals, Dubai, Chief Technology Officer, 2011 - 2012
- Created and submitted six patents related to carbon capture.
- Design a brine generator system based on RO and NF technology.
- Designed a pH reactor and created the entire process design of a complex membrane ion exchange system.
- Supervised an onsite research laboratory activities to take the pilot prototype into success stage.
- The technology won a Nordic award on green technologies.
- Acted as a consultant for the same company providing technical supervision to complete two pilot plants on CO2 capture.
University of Memphis, Memphis, TN, Assistant Professor, 2005 - 2011
- Research focused on membrane separation science, soft materials, and layer-by-layer deposition techniques. Supervised two graduate MSc students for their degree completion and more than 10 undergraduate students for their projects.
- Taught graduate and undergraduate courses in analytical chemistry and general chemistry to undergraduate students.
- As a member of the university faculty senate and research policies committee for one year.
- Authored many publications and one invention.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA, Research Associate, 2003 - 2005
- Research focused at designing ion conducting LBL films and charge transfer LBL carbon electrodes in order to assemble full membrane electrode assembly using LBL deposition methods. Co-authored many publications and one invention.
- Research instructor to graduate and undergraduate students.
Honors & Publications
- Postdoctoral; Materials and Fuel cell design, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA
- 2nd Language; Arabic, (Fluent read, write, verbal)
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Chemical Society - ACS
- Sigma Xi (MIT)
- Patents on Corrosion Science, Editorial Board
- Research scholarship, University of Greenwich
- Teaching and Research Assistantship, University of Victoria
- Research Assistantship, Florida State University
Publications and Patents
- Author-Co-Author: Authored 4 publications, 12 publications, and conducted more than 10 presentations.
- Main inventor in 10 patents.
- Ph.D. Analytical Chemistry, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL
- M.S. Electrochemistry, University of Victoria, Victoria, BC
- B.S. Analytical Sciences, University of Greenwich, London, U.K.