- U.S. Regulatory Affairs experience in developing and executing a successful strategic regulatory direction to protect, maintain and expand product registrations.
- Substantial contacts throughout EPA in the areas of registration, reregistration and NAFTA processes.
- Global regulatory affairs: Strategic direction and advice on regulatory needs in Canada, Europe, Latin America, Australia and New Zealand.
- Initiated and chartered the WSSA Herbicide Resistance Education committee and the WSSA academic EPA liaison positions among many other accomplishments in support of WSSA's national effort for ecosystems management and sustainable practices.
- State regulatory affairs: For the U.S. State Departments of Agriculture accumulated a deep understanding of their needs and processes.
- Intense experience in the herbicide discovery process.
- Range and pasture, aquatic and industrial vegetation management through executing EPA requirements, regulatory needs, NPDES, (National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System), permits and herbicide movement through residues in manure, hay and silage.
Expert Witness Experience
- Herbicide residues in hay and possible transport to water.
- Regulatory process.
- Pesticide labeling logic and communication.
- Substantial experience through Dow Agro Sciences Legal Department through many depositions and in trial preparation exercises.
Undisclosed Company, 2013 - Present
Dow AgroSciences LLC, 1987 - 2013
- Leader in range, pasture and industrial vegetation management.
- Provide strategic regulatory direction to the project network and lead the U.S. Regulatory Team to maintain and expand product registrations.
- Identifying new opportunities and fulfilling all project milestones within budgets and time frames.
- Created the U.S. regulatory work plan, including any strategic elements or resources components necessary to achieve project goals.
- Anticipated and resolved regulatory and public affairs issues, facilitated regulatory data reviews, registerability assessments and decisions.
- Responsible for communication with Technical Teams in all disciplines, leveraging external resources where appropriate.
Global Business Leader, Regulatory Science and Government Affairs, 2001 - 2008
- Provided strategic direction to the business through the Global Business Line Management Team, representing both regulatory and regulatory laboratory functions for Range and Pasture and Industrial Vegetation Management.
- Lead the development and implementation of global regulatory strategies.
- Insured global exchange of business and regulatory information across regions to align with strategic business objectives and had overall accountability for all range and pasture and industrial vegetation management global project planning.
U.S. Regulatory Affairs Manager, 1997 - 2001
- Championed new product registrations for the U.S. and maintained the registration and labeling of existing products within budgets and time frames.
- Networked with the U.S. Regulatory team to insure the development of strategic elements or resources components necessary to achieve project goals.
- Anticipated and resolved issues, facilitated regulatory data reviews, registerability assessments and decisions.
State Regulatory Affairs Manager, 1994 - 1997
- Managed the registration of all products in the 20 states meet the needs of state regulators and insure the resolution of questions as they arose.
- Worked closely with all commodity groups, state extension and others to develop special local needs registrations and emergency use exemptions as appropriate to protect food, fiber and feed.
Senior Scientist- Herbicide Discovery, 1992 - 1994
- For the Discovery Research department: Discovery, advanced testing, and initial development of herbicides for the global range and market, including the development of product goals.
- Lead the biology and chemistry efforts for triazolopyrimidine herbicide discovery effort for all product concepts.
- Identification of quantitative structure activity relationships for synthesis guidance.
- Physiological profiles of herbicide penetration, transport and metabolism were routinely developed.
- Field efficacy profiles and market analysis were key elements of this position.
Senior Research Biologist, 1987 - 1994
- Primary responsibilities included the discovery, advanced testing and initial development of herbicides for the global soybean market.
- Physiological profiles of herbicide penetration, transport and metabolism are routinely developed.
- Field efficacy profiles, synthesis guidance, quantitative structure activity relationship support, and market analysis are key elements of this position.
Union Carbide Agricultural Products Co. , Rhone-Poulenc Agrochimie, Ithaca, NY, 1983 - 1987
- Corporate representative to the Cornell Biotechnology Institute and Liaison for Union Carbide Corporation to the Cornell Biotechnology Institute, (under the new ownership of Union Carbide Agricultural Products Company by Rhone-Poulenc Corporation).
- The objective of this position was to identify potential discoveries and develop mutual research relationships between Union Carbide APC/Rhone-Poulenc Agrochimie and Cornell faculty.
Visiting Scientist, Section of Biochemistry, Molecular and Cell Biology, Cornell University, 1985 - 1986
- The goal of this project was to develop new DNA vectors for site-directed integration of foreign DNA into the genome of rice.
Senior Plant Physiologist (Research Center at Triangle Park, NC), 1983 - 1985
- Responsibilities included the discovery, advanced testing and initial development of herbicides for use in field crops, turf, and flooded rice, as well as plant growth regulators for sucrose enhancement or the modification of plant water relations.
Rhone-Poulenc Agrochimie, Ithaca, NY, Visiting Scientist, 1986 - 1987
- At the Cornell University, Cell Biophysics Research Center characterized cell membrane single channel GABA neurotransmitter receptors through utilizing patch claps of isolated individual drosophila neuronal cells.
Weed Science Society of America, Kansas City, KS, President, 2008 - 2011
- Serving in numerous positions: President, Vice President and President Elect.
- Developed the Society vision and actively insures that the national effort for ecosystems management and sustainable practices.
- Vision and planning include the creation of Special Committees and WSSA liaison representatives to organizations with which WSSA maintains liaison, as necessary, to carry out Society business.
- Insured the publication of three refereed journals (Weed Science, Weed Technology and Invasive Plant Science and Management), in addition to the WSSA Abstracts, and the WSSA Newsletter.
- Supplied the continued staffing of all WSSA committees.
Honors & Publications
- Ph.D. Minor in Fields Crops, Botany, and Soil Physics, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR.
- Visiting Scientist, Cell Biophysics Research Center, Cornell University.
- Visiting Scientist, Department of Biochemistry, Cell and Molecular Biology, Cornell
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- CropLife America (CLA)
- Weed Science Society of America (WSSA)
- Indiana Invasive Species Council
- Western Society of Weed Science
- Aquatic Plant Management Society
- Aquatic Ecosystem Restoration Foundation
- North American Weed Management Association
- The American Society of Plant Physiologists
- The International Society For Plant Molecular Biology
- International Weed Science Society
- Indiana Invasive Species Council, Governor's Appointee and Chairperson
- Aquatic Ecosystem Restoration Foundation: Board of Directors
- CLA NAFTA Industry Working Group, U.S. Chairman
- MRL Harmonization Database Oversight and Development Committee
- MRL Harmonization Database Screening Committee
- CLA Registration Round Table
- CLA Spray Drift Steering Committee
- CLA Spray Drift Issues Management Team
- Spray Drift Task Force, Regulatory Sub-Committee Chairman
- FIFRA Endangered Species Task Force
- CLA Endangered Species Task Force Steering Committee (Chair)
- Program Chair for the 2010 Joint meeting of the Weed Science Society of America and the Society For Range Management
- University of California at Davis Weed Science School
- Purdue Herbicide Action Course
- Acetolactate Synthase Inhibitor Working Group, HRAC/GIFAP
- Weed Science Society of America Fellow Award
- CropLife America Roosevelt Award
- CropLife America Workhorse Award
- Weed Science Society of America Award for Outstanding Industry Scientist
Publications and Patents
- Author and Co-Author of over 90 publications: Text books, peer reviewed science journals and presentations.
- Ph.D. Crop Science, (Fields Crops, Botany, Soil Physics) Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR
- M.S. Plant Physiology (Minor, Ecology). University of California, Davis, CA
- B.S. Plant Science , (Viticulture specialization),University of California, Davis, CA