- Design support to optimize the human interface of products, particularly medical devices.
- Product design development to improve human issues of products: Ease of use, ergonometric, safety and human appeal.
- Human factors analysis of product design and product use.
- Human factors consulting and product usability testing to optimize product ease of use.
- Prototyping products to evaluate for ease and safety of use.
- Side by side human factors analysis of prototypes and products opposite alternative competitive products.
- Ethnographic product and marketing research to understand human-product use practices and preferences.
- Access to fully equipped facilities for product usability testing.
- Applications of human sensors, video techniques and other feedback technologies to quantify the human reactions to the use of a product.
- Research and reporting of usability studies for medical devices as necessary for FDA and CE Marks compliance, (Conformity European Marking).
- Experience with a wide variety of medical devices, including many drug-delivery devices, for clients such as LifeScan, Dexcom, Medtronic, Abbott, and Animas, Baxter, BD, Hospira, Fresenius, Antares, Otsuka, and Johnson & Johnson.
Undisclosed Company, Founder, 1991 - Present
- Pioneer in the study and analysis of the human product interface.
- Proprietor of a human factor design company that is currently a 25-person firm that provides human factors and related consulting services for product development.
- Developed several methodologies that are now in widespread use for fitting products to people.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Industrial Designers Society of America (IDSA) Academy of Fellows
- Human Factors and Ergonomics Society
- IDSA's Board of Directors and Human Factors Professional Interest Section.
- Human Factors Engineering Committee of the Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation.
- Advisory Board of the Carnegie Mellon University School of Design
- Editorial Board of Medical Device and Diagnostic Industry
- Serving Judge for the Medical Device Excellence Awards
- Co-Chair - Inclusive Design at the Royal College of Art in London
- Organizer: Human Factors and Ergonomics in Health Care
Publications and Patents
- Published more than 65 articles and book chapters, including forthcoming articles in the AAMI journal, Biomedical Instrumentation & Technology, and in the Journal of Diabetes Science and Technology.
- Ph.D. Experimental Psychology, Penn State University, Philadelphia, PA
- B.S. Psychology, Tulane University, New Orleans, LA
- B.S. Anthropology, Tulane University New Orleans, LA