- Industrial power plant engineering.
- International trainer in boilers, Steam, HVAC, pumps, and piping.
- Forensic engineering: Specializing in boilers/steam and ancillary aspects of the boiler industry.
- Utility generation and distribution.
- Energy conservation and recovery.
- Industrial process improvements.
- Project design and management.
- Provide steam surveys.
- Design review and certification for thermal fluid heaters.
- Boiler safety audits.
- Boiler value engineering studies.
Expert Witness Experience
- Steam line failures and explosions.
- Pressure vessel explosions.
- Boiler explosions, both fire side and water side.
- Boiler failures - non explosion.
- Pump and valve failure analysis.
- Coal supply issues.
- Cogeneration system failure.
- Atmosphere oven explosions.
- Carbon monoxide accidents and fatalities.
- Water meter failure.
- HVAC compressor failures.
- Hydro testing explosion.
- Large diesel engine cooling system failure.
- Boiler refractory failures.
- Investigate cooling tower freeze failure.
- Hot water burns and scalds.
Undisclosed Company, President, 1988 - Present
Services performed for various clients:
- Boiler safety audit at large food research and development facility.
- At various plants, boiler house, steam and condensate studies.
- Cogeneration studies for major university and major auto manufacturer.
- Cooling tower study for a large brewery.
- Compressed air study at a large steel mill.
- Cooling study for a large natural gas pipeline compressor.
- Corrected excessive gas consumption in an asphalt drying plant.
- Resolved HVAC problems in a paper mill machine room air conditioning system.
- Wrote standard air compressor specifications for a major food products company.
- Designed a steam reducing station for a large paper drying machine.
- Re-engineered the heating system for a bottle washing tank at a large brewery.
- Project engineering for an energy center upgrade.
- Gas line capacity and cathodic protection study for a glass blowing plant.
- Confirmed the sizing of refrigerant piping.
- Assisted in boiler value engineering studies for New York City.
- Engineering design reviews and assisted with depreciation studies.
- Perform Coast Guard / ASME design review and certification for a thermal fluid heater manufacturer (including developing the complex, interactive Excel based program to perform calculations).
- Instructor and educator of Boiler, HVAC, Pump, Steam, and Piping classes for local, state and federal facilities; corporations and training companies such as American Trainco, Lewellyn, National Technology Transfer, University of Wisconsin and state of Arkansas.
- Walked down and re-drew the chilled water piping at a large auto assembly facility.
- Walked down and re-drew the ammonia PID's for a large food research and development facility.
- Clients include: Anheuser-Busch, NIBCO, ARCCA, Inc., The Ohio State University, ATT, Owens-Corning Fiberglass, Cargill, Inc., PPG Industries, Ford Motor Company, Ross Laboratories, General Motors, Spirax Sarco, Georgia Pacific, State of Ohio, Honda America MFG., Thomson Consumer Electronics (RCA), Johnson Controls, Volcanic Heater, Mead Paper, Nestle, numerous law firms (internationally) and numerous smaller companies.
The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, Senior Mechanical Engineer, 1983 - 1988
- Successfully managed a $7,000,000 steam line expansion project with encompassed 30,000 feet of superheated steam and condensate lines, several major road crossings, a river bridge crossing and 15 building tie-ins / system upgrades, all on a crowed urban campus.
- Project management entailed: Oversight of consulting engineers; review and approval of all plans, specifications and change orders; coordination and liaison with all affected university departments; installation coordination and oversight; resolving conflicts between this and other ongoing projects; minimization of disruption to all university operations.
- Spearheaded a $2,300,000 cogeneration project in McCracken Power Plant.
- Authored the feasibility study which withstood a peer review by outside consultants; overcame significant technical and political hurdles; supervised design, specifications, procurement and installation of the 3125 KW non-condensing turbine generator, and all associated piping and auxiliary equipment.
- Assisted in completion and start-up of a 125,000 pound per hour coal flue gas scrubber system.
- Assisted in the preliminary needs assessment and scope of work development for a large medical waste incinerator.
- Taught ME 625, a dual level course in Power plant Engineering.
Cummins Engine Company, Columbus, IN, Facilities Project Manager, 1981 - 1983
- Converted three boilers to dual fuel capability to minimize fuel costs.
- Analyzed major electric accounts. Through a transformer purchase, brought a major facility into a lower rate structure, saving thousands of dollars annually.
- Provided engineering services for five large buildings and an additional twenty-five buildings, totaling over 1,000,000 square feet.
Additional Professional Experience
- Aluminum Co. of America
- Purdue University
- Armour Dial Inc.
- United State Marine Corps, Quantico - Completed Officer's Candidate School.
- Volunteered for and actively participated in Viet Nam as an artillery forward observer.
- Served in USMC Reserves and Indiana National Guard.
Honors & Publications
- Universal Refrigeration Technician: USEPA
- Steam System Specialist: USDOE
- Qualified Expert in U.S. and Canadian Courts
- Licensed Stationary Engineer (State of Ohio) - Boiler Operator
- Professional Engineer (P.E.), Ohio
- Stationary Engineer, 3rd Class, Ohio
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Member - American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- Member - Columbus District Heating Task Force
- M.E. Mechanical Engineering, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN