- Vacuum process development.
- Process development for active devices, thin film circuits, thin film deposition and thin film optics.
- Manufacturing equipment and tooling design.
- Thin film coating.
- Manufacturing safety.
- Failure analysis (device, glass, metal and ceramics).
- Device reliability and reliability statistics.
- Photo patterning process development and introduction (spin on and lamination).
- Electroless and electrolytic plating processes.
- Statistical design of experiments.
- Physical and mechanical metallurgy.
Expert Witness Experience
- Over 25 years of experience as a consultant to attorneys in accident reconstruction.
- User safety: Product Liability and equipment design (Includes device safety, factory safety and machine guards).
- Failure analysis (includes both materials and design).
- Glass damage and glass failures: Jars, bottles (wine and champagne), windows, windshields, dishes, and cook wear.
- Polymer (plastic) failures: (includes composite materials); ladders packaging, chairs, bottles, and bungee cords.
- Metallurgical failures: Bolts, welds, pipes, gears, ladders, straps, cables brackets, and cutting blades.
- Corrosion failures: Galvanic, general; this includes materials selection and electronic devices.
- Ceramic failures: Fired ceramics, grinding wheels, cutoff blades and structural ceramics.
- Manufacturing defects: Any manufactured Item.
- Wood failures: Chairs, ladders, stairs, window leaks, (includes deterioration from rot).
- Manufacturing expertise: Includes patents, tooling, processing, product design, factory safety (machine guards), quality control, quality verification, reverse engineering and factory procedures.
Undisclosed Company, Consultant and Expert Witness, Present
- Consultant and expert serving attorneys, insurance adjusters and litigators.
- Failure analysis (Includes both materials and design):
- Glass damage and failures.
- Polymer (plastic) failures.
- Metallurgical Failures.
- Corrosion failures.
- Ceramic failures.
- Manufacturing defects.
- Wood failures.
- Manufacturing expertise.
Rheodyne, Inc., Rohnert Park, CA, Senior Project Engineer and Safety Engineer, 2001 - 2001
- Developed hard, low wear coatings for high pressure valves for high pressure liquid chromatography applications.
- Failure analysis and new product development.
- Developed pre-sputter cleaning of stainless steel parts.
- Developed a micro-volume pressure gauge for HPLC.
Komag Materials Technology Inc., Santa Rosa, CA, Chief Metallurgist, 1993 - 2001
- Positions served: Project Manager for high reliability devices and Plant Safety Engineer.
- Developed thin film circuit processes including thin film coating, plating, photolithography and etching.
- Manager of a development group focused on key new products.
- Developed cleaning processes for computer memory disks.
- Developed tooling for cleaning, machining and inspection of discs.
- Liaison to Komag material suppliers (Furukawa Aluminum and Kobe Steel).
- Liaison to Komag Corporation in the areas of failure analysis and material selection.
- Active in manufacturing process improvement projects.
- Helped organize worldwide failure analysis for Komag.
- Participant in Komag's effort to diversify into the area of fiber optics.
- Member of corporate team developing low cost glass substrates.
Deposition Sciences Inc., Santa Rosa, CA, Senior Thin Film Project Engineer, 1988 - 1994
- Helped develop unique methods of uniformly vacuum coating curved surfaces with thin film hard materials from oxides, and nitrides.
- Developed laminating processes for adhesives and photo-resists.
- Developed tooling for cleaning and coating.
- Helped develop patented DC reactive sputtering techniques for depositing optical quality oxides, and multi-layer optical films on oxide substrates.
- Optical thin film design.
- Photo pattering of thin film optical IR filters.
Microwave Technology Inc., Fremont, CA, 1984 - 1988
Reliability Engineering Manager and Thin Film Circuit Engineering Manager
- Project Manager for high reliability projects; managed a small group that coordinated all high reliability projects at MTI; this included interfacing with the customers.
- Developed and optimized reactive ion etching processes and equipment.
- Developed processes for manufacturing active devices (diffusion and ion implanting).
- Developed unique device packaging.
- Developed numerous thin film vacuum coating processes.
- Concurrently responsible for group performing high reliability testing and failure analysis of GaAs, FET'S, and IC's.
- Purchased a CPA 9900 and developed a production reactive sputtering process and tooling for coating Ta2 N/TiW/Au onto Al2 0 3 substrates.
- Helped develop unique techniques for producing conductive via thin film circuits.
Hewlett Packard Co., Santa Rosa, CA, Project Engineer and Engineering Manager, 1975 - 1984
- Hands-on manager of a Research and Development group that designed and developed hybrid packaging (polymer and ceramic) for microwave circuits.
- Designed RF connectors for microwave communication applications.
- Developed processes for manufacturing active devices.
- Developed epoxy sealing for high reliability circuit packaging.
- Acted as a consultant to several Hewlett-Packard divisions aiding in the solutions of problems related to materials, machining, device failure, and bonding and assembly.
- Developed a close die molding process for forming super plastic zinc.
- Coordinated several company-wide workshops related to metal working and hybrid.
- Assembly processing: This included cleaning and plastic packaging.
Optical Coating Laboratories Inc., Santa Rosa, CA, 1974 - 1975
Senior Thin Film Development Engineer
- Responsible for yield improvement on a process for the manufacture of striped Diachroic filters.
- Helped raise the yields from 2 per cent to 70 per cent.
- Included grinding and polishing of the glass faceplates.
- Represented OCLI to their customers to solve various thin film metal corrosion problems with single crystal silicon solar cells.
- Corporate materials scientist responsible for thin film failure analysis and surface analysis.
Corning Glass Works, Corning, NY, Senior Research and Development Engineer, 1972 - 1974
- Senior Research and Development engineer involved with the development of glass.
- Finishing and cleaning processes and the design of the related production equipment.
- Involved with sheet glass quality evaluation and glass failure analysis.
- Developed glass and silica machining processes.
Vohwinkler Eisen Werk, Wuppertal Vohwinkel, Germany, Intern, 1965
- Learned all aspects of iron casting; this included melting, alloying, molding and finishing.
Failure Analysis Associates, Stanford, CA, Associate Engineering Consultant, 1968 - 1972
- Aided engineers with failure analysis of materials such as; metals, fabrics, plastics, and ceramics.
Honors & Publications
- Certified Registered Professional Manufacturing Engineer
- Stanford University, Corning Fellowship
- Metallurgy Certification: Tercer Curso Pan Americano de Metalurgia, Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Semi-fluent in Spanish
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Society for Microbiology - ASM
- Society of Petroleum Engineers - SPE
- American Ceramic Society - AcerS
- Warwick Award, Top Pennsylvania Metallurgy Graduate.
Publications and Patents
- Numerous publications - Articles and white papers.
- Two thin film deposition patents.
- Ph.D. Materials Science and Engineering, Stanford University, Stanford, CA
- M.Sc. Materials Science, Stanford University, Stanford, CA
- B.S. Metallurgical Engineering, (Dean's Highest Honors) University of Pennsylvania, Phila., PA