Dermatology and Prescription Medicine Commercialization Expert
Technical Consultant #1927
- Commercializing dermatology and prescription medicines: selling, marketing, product and business development with global and U.S. management experience.
- Prescription medicine commercialization experience includes dermatology, endocrinology, metabolic disorders, thrombosis, anti-emetics, chemotherapies, CNS, imaging, wound healing, and male and female sexual dysfunctions.
- Sales and marketing expertise with experience across many functional areas including market research, corporate development, strategy development, product distribution, managed markets, wholesaler management, product development, finance, administration, legal, and regulatory.
Undisclosed Company, Founder, 2007 - Present
President and CEO, Dermatology and Women's Health
- Built a commercial organization to sell and market dermatology prescription and non-prescription skin care products nationwide to healthcare providers and skin care experts.
- Developed a "buy and build" strategy and sold over $2 million of dermatology products.
- Licensed the non-prescription skin care line to an internet-based company with a retail value of over $1.9 million with a continuous royalty stream to this company.
- Developed worldwide intellectual property rights for first-in-class transdermal osteoporosis protective products.
- Initiated pipeline development with revenue potential over $500 million.
- Set up the commercial platform to continue company's portfolio growth through strategic partnerships and collaborations.
King Pharmaceuticals, Bridgewater, NJ, 2005 - 2007
Senior Vice President, Cardio-Metabolic Franchise
- Led a strong cardiovascular metabolic marketing and sales team with highest performing division.
- Grew CVM sales (Altace, Levoxyl, and Cytomel) to over $1.2 billion sales in highly generic market and surpassed financial and individual targets resulting in organization meeting "stretch" goals.
- Developed market opportunities through creative repositioning, messaging, and partnerships (patients, associations, and KOLs), growing Altace sales to $1 billion.
- Created a specialty sales force and launched a new diabetes medicine, Glumetza.
- Managed $67 million budget and staff of 14.
- Increased the visibility of King through direct-to-consumer advertising, direct-to-patient promotion, public relations, and managed markets.
- Evaluated - 120 CVM commercial opportunities and research and development investments, ($173 million: 68% of King's research and development investments), with all programs on or ahead of schedule.
- Established commercial criteria to evaluate business development opportunities to accelerate speed to market.
- Set strategies for life cycle management and commercialization of seven programs in phase 2, 2b, and 3 in hypertension, heart failure, thyroid disorders, cardiovascular imaging, diabetes, diabetic foot ulcers, erectile dysfunction, and female sexual dysfunction.
Merk, Whitehouse Station, NJ, 2004 - 2005
Executive Director, Worldwide Stroke Franchise
- Led global cross-functional marketing teams to commercialize late stage stroke products.
- Led the development of worldwide strategies, product positioning, KOL development and all commercialization, coordinating with a Japanese licensing partner.
- Assessed country-specific therapeutic prospects and inflection point market opportunities to create rapid uptake.
- Commercialization was delayed, 4 years to conduct a new phase 3 study.
GlaxoSmthKline, Philadelphia, PA, 1983 - 2004
Executive Director, Oncology, Acute Care, 2000 - 2004
- Led marketing strategies and tactics for acute care and a specialty dermatology sales force for Argatroban and Zofran.
- Grew Argatroban from an orphan drug status $10 million to the market leader $40 million within 2 years.
- Created a new specialty dermatology sales force.
- Guided Joint Development Partners (Japanese/ American) and successfully launched new indications.
- Guided research and development programs.
- Developed strong thought leader relationships and integrated newly-licensed product (Arixtra) into the portfolio.
- Delivered year on year sales growth greater than 50%.
Group Director, Sales Operations and Marketing Services, (SmithKline Beecham), 1998 - 2000
- Directed a sales and marketing organization (staff of 84), supporting all U.S. based pharmaceutical and specialty forces and marketing teams, including field incentives of over $200 million.
- Launched a new sales platform and led sales force training. Managed all aspects of sales operations and marketing services.
Director, Strategic Planning, Strategy Development, (SKB, London, UK), 1997 - 1998
- Led the marketing and training of worldwide staffs for Year 2000 strategic planning.
- Developed worldwide business continuity strategies and contingency plans. All plans were approved by Executive Management.
Director, Strategic Business, Support - Strategy Development, (SKB, London, UK), 1996 - 1997
- Developed marketing strategies and tactics to improve product uptake and speed to market for Europe, Asia, and Latin America.
- Led a commercial team and guided the development and marketing of integrated tools.
Director, Strategy Development, (SKB, London, UK), 1994 - 1995
- Assessed the commercial attractiveness of business development opportunities, strategic acquisitions, and disposals under the leadership of the Vice President of Strategy Development and Chief Executive Officer.
- Led extensive evaluations of worldwide Vaccines, working with investment bankers and potential partners.
Director, Merger Integration, (SKB, Milan, Italy), 1991 - 1993
- Developed the strategic plans for three Italian companies.
- Reporting to the General Manager, led the restructuring of pharmaceuticals, vaccines, and consumer businesses ($460 million sales).
- Reduced costs by 34% and overhead costs by $20 million per year.
- Managed 117 staff: commercial operations, human resources, business development, legal, purchasing, finance, and technical operations.
Regional Director, Italy, Greece, Portugal, (SKB, Baranzate, Italy), 1990 - 1991
- Provided commercial support to IGP's Senior Vice President for the development of sales and marketing strategies (2,322 employees, $550 million sales) including merger planning and restructuring.
- Grew co-promoted product sales by more than 20% and increased overall regional profits more than 15%.
Director, Administration and Finance, (ISF - SmithKline Company Trezzano, Italy), 1998 - 1990
- Managed a Finance and Administration team of 120 (distribution, sales operations, purchasing, legal).
- Managed licensing agreements including Calcitonin ($135 million sales), the highest selling product.
Other Positions and locations, (GlaxoSmthKline)
- Controller, SmithKline & French and Milan, Italy.
- Finance Manager, Africa Asia Oceania, SK&F and Singapore.
Honors & Publications
- Dual citizenship in U.S. and Italy
- Fluent in Italian
- Alpha Sigma Lambda Honors
- B.S. Psychology, Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA