- Lithium-ion (Li ion) battery technology, particularly for hand held devices.
- Battery performance and competitive analysis of the cells from all major battery companies in the USA, Korea, Europe (Germany, France, and Russia) and China.
- Li ion, Li Polymer and fuel cells battery packs for portable electronics, and developed new concepts in battery charging devices.
- Developed technical concepts to track lubricant's contamination control and condition monitoring for energy generated plants, wind turbines and other power generating facilities.
- Supply chain in China and US for the major electrical and mechanical components and sub-systems, such as PCBAs, motors, inverters and materials.
- Electronics assembly companies, primarily for portable energy devices such as batteries and chargers.
- Commitment to Chinese and Eastern European markets, having resided in and build organizations throughout Asia and China for the last 20 years.
- As both engineer and as procurement professional, skilled at bridging the gap between the two organizations and create a united team.
Global Sourcing/Supply Chain/Operations
- Development and Management of Global Sourcing network, contract negotiation, Supply Chain management, procurement department management, cost and lead time reduction, favorable Ts and Cs negotiations, inventory management, safety stock calculation, consignment agreements, AVL maintenance and supplier base consolidation.
- In-depth, hands-on knowledge of foreign procedures, laws, restrictions and incentives, culture, business etiquette and local customs in China, Malaysia, India and Russia.
- Demonstrate a strong commitment to Chinese and Eastern European markets, having resided in and build organizations throughout Asia and China for the last 20 years.
- Expertise in interacting with various levels and functions of government, business and customers to successfully grow Chinese operations of U.S. based companies.
General Management - Manufacturing
- All aspects of the trade with full profit and loss responsibility. start-up, expansion, Lean manufacturing and 6 Sigma environment, problem solving, public relations, labor issues mediation, contracts, turnaround, re-engineering. Developed and implemented financial plan and high-impact manufacturing strategies/best practice processes to improve overall manufacturing capability and effectively won a number of business contracts.
Program and Engineering Management
- Organized and led of cross-functional, multi-discipline program management teams in major electronic Fortune 100 company. Demonstrated ability to lead and manage diverse workforce. Led the design and introduction of new products with contemporary and integrated engineering and manufacturing processes designed to meet target launch dates, quality and cost objectives through the product lifecycle.
Liaison between Engineering and Purchasing
- As both an engineer and as procurement professional enables me to bridge the gap between the two organizations and create a united team.
Undisclosed Company, Vice President: Engineering and Operations, Present
- Set up Purchasing and Operation activities in order to achieve leaner and more efficient company's operation in the power generation equipment monitoring and control industry.
- Re-organizing global supply chain in order to improve lead-time, reduce cost of the products and optimize global logistic routes and associated cost.
- Developed new technical concepts in the automatic data collection for lubricant's contamination control and condition monitoring for energy generated plants, wind turbines and other power generating facilities.
- Initiated and supervised the development of 5 new products.
MegaWatt Solar, NC, Vice President Operations and Sourcing, 2010 - 2011
- For a solar energy company, responsible for setting up manufacturing and domestic and global supply chain. Developed a supplier base in China and US for the major electrical and mechanical components and sub-systems, i.e. PCBAs, motors, metals, inverters, etc. resulting in significant cost savings.
- Involved in all engineering activities and decisions, Supply chain management including but not limited to resource planning, vendor selection, supply sourcing, negotiation, order placement, logistics, quality assurance, etc.
SIB Consulting, Founder, 2004 - Present
- Founded and managed electronic assembly factories in China: Shanghai and Suzhou for U.S. based company.
- Directed the development, planning, implementation and maintenance of manufacturing methods for new and existing products and technologies, including outgoing quality, safety and efficiency improvements for all manufacturing operations.
- Managed daily operations, and planned the use of materials, production and human resources.
- Set up company's operations in 1.5 months vs. typical 5-6 with full business license and import/export rights.
- Delivered mass production capabilities within 4 months ahead of time and on the budget.
- Consolidated two sites operations.
- Drove rapid growth from 0 to $0.5 million per month shipments and from 1 to more than 250 associates within one year.
- ISO Certification within 6 months after beginning of the operations.
- Provided more than 95% on-time delivery of finished goods.
- Local and International Customer base development.
- Set up strong local supplier's base for electronic components, plastics, PCBs, sheet metal, etc. through comprehensive supplier auditing and constant quality verification processes.
- Complete P&L responsibility:
- Cost of Sales reduction of 10% in 6 months.
- Labor cost - down 12%.
- Fixed operating expenses - down 5%.
- Efficiency increase - 200%
EAC, GM and Vice President, 2004 - 2007
- General Manager and Vice President of a portable energy company, (batteries, chargers) in Suzhou, China, with complete profit and loss responsibilities set up and managed manufacturing company.
- Developed and implemented policies and procedures, formulated manufacturing operations strategies.
- Significantly reduced Product Failure Expense across manufacturing while maintaining 95% on-time delivery
- Ensured that the products meet the company's standards, policies and practices.
- Kept the budget under control by reducing the cost of Sales from 65% to 54% and operating expenses from 34% to 27%
- Direct reports - 14, indirect - 125.
- As Vice President of global sourcing: Reorganized Purchasing Department to increase productivity, increase efficiency, and support of a 24/7 overseas operations.
- Achieved inventory turns of 9 times (based on the cost of goods sold).
- Implemented cost reduction programs and incentives that saved company 27% in the cost of raw material.
- Consolidated supplier base from 8-10 to 2-3 per commodity.
- Negotiated favorable Terms and Conditions with the major suppliers i.e. Sanyo, Panasonic, LG, Samsung, BYD, and Lishen.
Motorola, Senior Director, Key Technologies and Strategic Sourcing, 1988 - 2004
- Responsible for all key technologies activities, mainly in energy (batteries, chargers, power supplies), displays, etc.
- Development and implementation of breakthrough technologies, like OLED, LiIon/Polymer cells, solar cells, and micro fuel cells for portable electronics.
- Design of the first in the U.S.A., LiIon batteries for hand-held devices.
- Design of LiIon, LiPolymer and fuel cells battery packs for portable electronics, new concept in battery charging, etc.
- Intensive research in the application of LiIon and LiPolymer cells for portable electronic devices.
- Evaluation of the battery performance and competitive analysis of the cells from all major battery companies in the U.S.A., Korea, Europe (Germany, France, and Russia) and China.
- Speaker on International Power conferences: Main topics - real life studies of battery operation in the hand-held computers.
- Organized and managed multi-discipline, cross-functional teams (Engineering, Purchasing, Quality, Marketing and Customer Service) with complete product responsibility from the conceptual design through production.
- Managed over $80 million in procurement expenditure.
- Global sourcing: New sources development and geographic alignment, especially in China, Malaysia, Korea, Taiwan and Thailand.
- Averaged $4 million - $6 million savings per year by initiating and supervising cost savings activities.
- Delivered 20% annualized savings/cost avoidance through value engineering activities, improvement of strategic sourcing, supplier base reduction/consolidation, and premium freight reduction.
- Achieved 90% on-time delivery of the components and sub-systems needed to meet production schedule.
- Reduced suppliers' defect rate to 100 ppm (parts per million) from average of 400 ppm - 600 ppm.
- First inventor and co-inventor of 56 U.S. patents in the areas of data acquisition systems, optomechatronics and consumer products.
- Program Manager for a number of product developments, ranging from $1.5 million to $5 million
- Extensive research, analysis and implementation of applied technologies including electromagnetism, piezoelectricity, magnetostrictability, and battery charging techniques.
- Quality analysis, such as MTTF calculations, acceleration life tests development and evaluation of PC charts.
Siemens Corporation, Long Island, NY, 1981 - 1988
Technical Training and Education Supervisor
- Conducted numerous technical seminars in U.S.A. and overseas for company and customer engineers to service and operate multi-computer, state of the art electronic color separation and pre-printing systems.
- Reduced training costs 30% - 35% by designing new approach to technical training.
Honors & Publications
- MIT Sloan School of Management: Managing Complex Product Development Projects.
- UCLA: Liquid Crystal Displays course.
- National Organization of Purchasing Management: Fundamentals of Purchasing
- Dale Carnegie School: Leadership Training for Managers
- Speak, read and write Russian.
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Advisory Board for a number of Energy and Display companies
Publications and Patents
- Speaker on several International Energy Conferences
- 55 U.S. Patents
- M.S.E.E. Automatic Control Systems, Polytechnic University, St. Petersburg, Russia