- Development of bio-based polymers for industrial applications.
- Polyurethane product development and characterization.
- Nano-clay composites development.
- Adhesion science and characterization.
- Adhesion of lignocellulosic composites.
- Molecular diffusion in elastomeric, laminated, and composite materials.
- Thermal analysis, molecular spectroscopy, and polymer characterization.
- Technical and business development initiatives developing new products and licensing,, increasing efficiency, solving problems and reducing costs
- Intellectual property portfolio development - bio-polymer based products.
- Custom chemistries for various industries: Polymers, adhesives, coatings, personal care products and Medical devices.
Undisclosed Company, Principal Scientist and President, 2000 - Present
- Established a contract research and development consulting and technology licensing company, serving multiple industries.
- Current areas of research and development include bio-based polymers and nano-particles, polyurethane, polyurethane elastomers, Isocyanate chemistry, nano-clay particulates in polymer systems, oral care (denture) adhesive development, surgical adhesives thermoset composites, cross-linked thermoplastics, coatings for roll covering, reactive hot melt adhesives, hydrophobic and lipophobic coatings, wood adhesives, and coatings for industrial pumps and motors.
- Successes include a new bio-based hybrid adhesive technology for industrial and commercial applications, an elastomer product line for a roll covering company, development and commercialization of an optical brightening solution for inclusion in adhesive formulations, several new wood adhesives for engineered lumber applications, a denture adhesive based on nano-composite technology, and the development of new polyurethane polyol technology that has broad application in a variety of polyurethane industries.
- Worked with several industrial and financial services companies to evaluate new technologies from a technical and market potential perspective and providing recommendations for market penetration.
Bio-Polymer Technologies, Ltd., NJ and, Israel, Principal Scientist, 2006 - Present
- Principal Scientist for a technology development and licensing company specializing in biobased products derived from waste agricultural meals for use in adhesive, oil sequestering, emulsification, and personal care products.
- Laboratory product development, pilot plant scale-up, and manufacturing plant implementation of adhesion technology for the wood based composites portfolio sector.
- Devised and executed the technical strategy and commercial discussions with decision makers in prospective companies and with large investment banks.
ICI / Huntsman Polyurethanes, West Deptford, NJ, 1993 - 2001
Scientist and Technical Manager
- Responsible for a technical team of 24 people and an operating budget of over 4 million dollars.
- Defined research projects conducted by our international research and development group for the Americas Wood Composites Business.
- Further responsibilities included: scientific and technical liaison between customers, universities, and technical organizations; facilities management; intellectual property management; industrial hygiene coordination with customers; technical marketing and defining business strategy based on technical developments.
- Focused and streamlined technical efforts, reduced costs by one million dollars over a three year period while increasing sales 5 to 10 percent annually, via new product introduction over this same time frame.
Senior Technical Associate
- Responsible for outlining and coordinating research efforts pertaining to the fundamental chemistry of isocyanate based adhesives for structural and engineered lignocellulosic composites in the Adhesion Science Group.
- Managed collaborative research efforts between international research and development and several universities and research institutions.
Beloit Manhattan, Inc., Clarks Summet, PA, 1983 - 1986
Analytical Chemist and Polyurethane Specialist
- Responsible for the development and testing of new and existing roll covering compounds (polyurethane and conventional elastomers).
- Designed, specified, and scaled-up from research through manufacturing.
- Responsible for the operation, maintenance, and supervision of all analytical instrumentation.
- Supervised laboratory technicians.
- Responsible for the testing and analysis of elastomeric and composite materials utilizing spectroscopic, thermal analytical, and microscopic methods as well as wet chemical methods of analysis.
- Development of bio-based polymers for industrial applications.
- Study physicochemical behavior of nano-clay particulates in polymer systems and how these physicochemical interactions affect the polymer physicalproperties of these nano-composites.
- Development of structure/property relationships for polyurethanes and other polymeric systems via molecular spectroscopy and dynamic physical property measurements.
- Development and analytical characterization of reactive polyurethane hotmelt adhesives, cold curing polyurethane adhesives, and heat cured, thermosetting polyurethane and epoxy resin adhesive systems.
- Adhesion mechanisms operative within lignocellulosic and other composite materials studies.
- Analytical characterization of the chemical and physical properties of wood.
- Characterization of the mechanism of water permeation in polyurethane elastomers, and the study of the morphological characteristics of polyurethane elastomers utilizing solid state NMR.
- Molecular diffusion in elastomeric, laminated, and composite materials study.
- Molecular mechanics and molecular modeling studies of model polymer systems for the purpose of design and analysis.
- Implementation and development of solid-state NMR techniques for the study of polymeric systems.
Honors & Publications
- Pennsylvania Professional Teaching Certification, King's
College, Wilkes-Barre, PA
- Short Course Instructor, Pittcon, "Industrial Problem Solving Using Thermal Analysis"
- Short Course Instructor, Pittcon, "Language and Matter: Technical Writing for Industrial Scientists and Managers"
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Chemical Consultants Network
- American Chemical Society (ACS)
- Forest Products Society (FPS)
- Adhesion Society
- Sierra Club (New Jersey Chapter)
Publications and Patents
- Author of educational text books, pier reviewed journals, and presentations.
- Over ten U.S. Patents.
- Ph.D. Chemistry, The University of Akron, Akron, OH
- M.S. Chemistry, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH
- B.S. Chemistry and Biology, King's College, Wilkes-Barre, PA