Food Safety Expert In Surveillance, Outbreak Investigation, Prevention and Control Strategies, Risk Management, and Consumer Behavior
Technical Consultant #1873
- Health hazards of ready-to-eat foods.
- Standards for poultry processing.
- Harmonization of food safety regulations.
- Food safety policy.
- Significance of temperature for microbial growth in foods.
- Canned food methodology and post process leakage.
- Outbreaks of botulism in northern communities.
- Detection of foodborne pathogens in various foods.
- Epidemiology of disease and costs caused by seafood toxins (PSP, DSP, domoic acid, ciguatera, tetramine).
- Dose-response and detection of seafood toxins.
- Surveillance and economics of foodborne disease.
- Foodborne and waterborne disease outbreak investigation and reporting.
- Risk assessment of foodborne disease in pathogen food combinations, e.g., E. coli O157 in hamburgers, Salmonella Enteritidis in eggs, E. coli O157:H7 in lettuce, L. monocytogenes in cabbage and ready-to-eat foods, and Vibrio vulnificus in oysters.
- Transfer coefficients for Listeria and E. coli O157:H7.
- Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP) systems.
- Aquaculture food safety issues.
- The spread of foodborne infections by food workers.
- Hand hygiene.
- Consumer perceptions and behavior on food safety issues.
Expert Witness Experience
- Served in 22 cases as expert witness with 13 cases settled, subjugated a Daubert judgment as an expert witness in an appeal to which the case was settled.
Undisclosed Company, Owner, 2011 - Present
- Independent Consultant
Health Canada, Health Protection Branch, Ottawa, Canada, 1968 - 2001
- Research Scientist (RES-1 through RES-5, most senior level)
University of Glasgow, Department of Bacteriology, 1965 - 1968
- Assistant Lecturer
- Head, Methodology/Contaminated Foods Section
- Chairman, Foodborne Disease Reporting Centre
- Co-chairman, Botulism Reference Centre
- Joint Chief of the Research Division
- Director, National Food Safety and Toxicology Center
- Director, Food Safety Policy Center
- Professor, Large Animal Clinical Center
- Professor, Advertising, Public Relations and Retailing
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Chairman, Research Scientists Group (SE-RES) and Research Group (RE), Professional Institute of the Public Service of Canada.
- MSU University Outreach & Engagement Directors' Advisory Team
- Director, National Alliance for Food Safety and Security (NAFSS) Center for Risk Analysis and Policy
- NSF Council of Public Health Consultants (NSF International, Ann Arbor, Michigan)
- Associate Editor, Journal of Food Science
- American Association for the Advancement of Science, Fellow
- Editorial Advisory Board for Encyclopedia of Food Safety, Elsevier, Oxford, UK
- Editor in chief, Encyclopedia of Food Safety, Elsevier, Oxford, UK
- International Association for Food Protection, Honorary Life Membership
- Citation Award from the International Association of Milk, Food and Environmental Sanitarians for many years of devotion to the ideals of the Association.
- Distinctive Service Award for extraordinary teamwork and support to the Science and Technology Community (management of human resources in the Canadian federal government science departments), Ottawa.
- Excellence in Science Award - the first to be awarded by Health Canada
- Deputy Minister's Award of Team Excellence - for the work done in promoting the 'Fight BAC!' campaign in Canada
- International Association for Food Protection Fellows Award Minneapolis
- Professional Institute of the Public Service of Canada Gold Medal for Pure and Applied Science (awarded to one scientist in a government department every second year).
- NSF International Lifetime Achievement Award
Publications and Patents
- Author of more than 120 peer-reviewed papers and 52 book chapters, contributed to 62 national and international reports, and developed 11 laboratory methods.
- 400 national and international presentations on food safety research at industry conferences and regulatory meetings.
- Ph.D. Bacterial Systematics University of Glasgow, United Kingdom
- B.Sc. Bacteriology, (With Honors) University of Glasgow, United Kingdom