Healthcare Technology Consultant - Specializing in Medical Devices Used in Hospitals
Technical Consultant #1865
- 37 years of national expertise managing the selection, maintenance and safe and effective use of medical equipment and systems used in hospitals.
- Medical device failure discovery evaluation in various circumstances; determine patient misuse, clinician errors, and root and secondary causes.
- Mitigating risks through independent test labs and working with healthcare providers and manufacturers.
- Through clinical and hospital administrative experience, able to convey a broad technical perspective allowing discussions for patient safety improvements and reducing risks.
Expert Witness Experience
- Case evaluation determining the strength of claim.
- Compose medical device reports.
- Provide laboratory analysis of medical devices, case timeline, and technical observations.
Undisclosed Company, President, 2011 - Present
- Provides technical assistance to user facilities, users, manufacturers, and/or regulators of medical devices in the following areas:
- Clinical engineering
- Forensic engineering
- Patient safety and risk management
- Systems integration
- Device design and improvement.
Christiana Care Health System, Director, Clinical Engineering, 1989 - 2011
- Led development of Clinical Engineering program, responsible for all Healthcare Technology Management at the organization.
- Led effort to select and install flexible monitoring system that encompassed major changes in clinical practice and tight interface with system-wide Information Services computer network.
- Selected to lead team evaluating and implementing new Smart IV Pump technology.
- Member, Patient Safety Committee - Selected by committee to lead efforts to comply with National Patient Safety Goal on Clinical Alarms.
- Member, Environment of Care Safety Committee - Selected by committee to be primarily responsible for compliance with Joint Commission patient care equipment standards.
- Member, Technology Management Committee responsible for evaluating and approving all new major medical technologies.
- Co-Chair, Medical Products Implementation Committee responsible for passing on education and implementation plans for new medical products.
- Member, Corporate Value Analysis Committee responsible for evaluating new medical products for cost effectiveness and clinical suitability.
Waterbury Hospital,Director, Clinical Engineering, 1973 - 1989
- Started Clinical Engineering program from scratch.
- Clinical Engineering began servicing all imaging equipment, one of the first Clinical Engineering programs in the country to do so.
- Chosen to head several interdisciplinary teams to evaluate and select a vendor for major clinical systems, such as patient monitoring, infusion pumps and nurse call system.
Honors & Publications
- Washington University in St. Louis, MO, Special Certificate: Health Care Technology.
- Professional Engineer (PE) - State of Delaware, License
- Certified in Clinical Engineering (CCE) by Healthcare Technology Foundation
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP) by Board of Certified Safety Professionals
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation, (AAMI)Serving positions:
- Co-Chair - Standards Board
- Editorial Board of Biomedical Instrumentation
- Technology Management Council
- Electrical Safety Committee
- Infusion Devices Committee
- Medical Device Alarm Committee
- Fellow, American College of Clinical Engineering, (ACCE)
- American Society of Professionals in Patient Safety, (ASPPS)
- Medical Device Innovation, Safety and Security Consortium, (MDISS)
- National Fire Protection Association, (NFPA). Chair and Technical Committee on Medical Equipment.
- Clinical/Biomedical Engineering Achievement Award from Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation.
- Patient Safety Award from American College of Clinical Engineering
- Author of numerous, journal articles in Biomedical Instrumentation and Technology, and presented at AAMI national meetings around the United States.
- M.S. Electrical Engineering, Washington University in St. Louis, MO
- B.S. Electrical Engineering, University of Maryland, College Park, MD