- Systems Engineer with experience in most areas of telecommunications, networking, and information technology, understanding the interrelationships between the equipment and processes of all of these areas as well as their role in business operations.
- Specializing in systems integration, systems, diagnostic, systems engineering and design.
- Focused on data: Voice, video, multimedia and image telecommunications.
- Expert experience with radio and wireless systems.
- Demonstrated expertise in intellectual property.
Expert Witness Experience
- Expert witness areas: Contracts, IP, and antitrust matters.
- Court reports preparation.
- Deposition and trial testifying experience.
- Prepared a 12,000 sample multinational survey and directed the statistical analysis for a European antitrust matter and determined the gross revenue tax owed two Missouri cities by a major cellular provider. Both were favorably settled.
Undisclosed Consulting Firm, President, 1988 - Present
- Reviewed over 150 patents, specific areas: Advanced Intelligent Network (AIN), Asynchronous Transfer Mode - ATM, cabling systems, call center/ACD/UCD functionality, calling cards, customer acquisition and billing systems, database merging, data networking, image processing, internet reservation services, language translation systems, MPLS, network management functionality - wired and wireless, network security, optical amplifiers, paging systems, public address systems, search engine - financial products, TCP/IP, VoIP.
LOCATUM, Chief Operating Officer
- A start-up company providing critical first response information on line for ready access by safety services.
- Prepared the business plan and technical specifications of the system, oversaw its implementation, and oversaw the daily operations of the business.
- Utilizing networking and web technology to put building floor plans and other critical emergency information online for ready availability by emergency services.
- Prepared business plans for several municipal electric utilities to enter the telecommunications business.
- Designed the networks, included switching, routing, and transmission equipment.
- Costs applied to operations and administrative components.
- Provided telecommunications strategic planning as well as managing the planning, engineering, and implementation of new systems and services.
- Re-cabling all corporate facilities; renegotiation of IXC and LEC networking contracts; installation of a corporate data network, network management center, and FDDI ring at its corporate headquarters; re-engineering of processes within the IT department; assessing current employee capabilities; developing a networking organization structure, and hiring of a networking manager.
CANTEL, (Rogers Wireless), Consultant
- Performed an in-depth audit and review of an internal multimillion-dollar software development program for a new customer acquisition, care, and billing system for Executive Management, and procured a new system and re-engineered IT processes.
Department of Treasury, Consultant
- Developed the voice-data-image strategic communications plan.
- Provided a comprehensive technology review, developing a computerized baseline of Treasury's current facilities, recommendations of services to be used, hardware architectures, and direction for managing the systems.
- Engineered, procured, and implemented a PBX/ACD/voice processing system for headquarters.
- Engineered, procured, and managed the implementation of a new call center and moving voice, call center, and data telecommunications facilities during relocation.
- Reviewed books for and others, papers for the IEEE, and grants for the National Research Council of Canada.
University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI; Adjunct Instructor
- Taught teletraffic theory, including cellular and wireless.
Coopers & Lybrand, Maine and New York, National Director Network Consulting, 1983 - 1988
- Directed the development and implementation of an integrated office automation and voice-data-image telecommunications network for the Massachusetts Port Authority.
- The desktop office system included fully network office functions to all information workers.
- Other projects included shared tenant and intelligent building services for Logan Airport and the State Transportation Building, comprehensive emergency communication systems, Phase 5 alarm systems, and voice messaging and audiotex systems for Logan Airport.
- The networked office information system was the largest non-research and development system in the world when built.
- Prepared a five-year telecommunications plan and implementation program to provide all voice, data, SCADA, office automation, and video communications for Boston Edison Company. The project evaluated the use of fiber and microwave networking between facilities.
- Provided the County of Sacramento, CA with the technical documentation necessary to successfully pursue a multi-million dollar claim against a delinquent network vendor.
Northeastern University, Boston, MA, Instructor and Program Coordinator, 1976 - 1992
- Developed Northeastern University's curricula in telecommunications that included an Associate's Degree program, the world's first and largest continuing education program in telecommunications, contract programs with major corporations, and certificate and programs offered via television.
- First to teach office automation, network administration, and voice data-image network planning courses at an American university.
- Other courses taught, include data communications, and telecommunications systems engineering.
GTE Corp., Needham, MA, 1973 - 1983
- Filled the positions of Senior Telecommunications Systems Engineer and Technical Director.
- Technical Director for the $25,000,000 Westinghouse WESDIN network program, the world's first successful synchronous integrated voice-data-image communications network.
- This was the first: Competitive local exchange carrier, Use of CATV transmission between digital switches, structured premise distribution system, and centrally managed network.
- Prepared the Operations Manual for the WESDIN network.
- Member of the corporate oversight committee for the development of the GTD-5 central office switch.
- Member of the final audit team for GTE's acquisition of the pioneering packet carrier, Telenet.
- Directed the preparation of the network management plan for the Defense Communications Engineering Center for all military communications (voice, data, and image; secure and non-secure) between Washington and Diego Garcia.
- Performed basic research that developed the technique to estimate the error rate of data signals.
Honors & Publications
- Distinguished Lecturer at Northeastern University
- Professional Engineer (Ontario)
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- IEEE Life Senior Member
- Member, Professional Engineers of Ontario
- Francis Crowe Award as distinguished alumnus of the University of Maine
Publications and Patents
- Over 2 dozen patent projects and over 150 patents reviewed and reported.
- Ph.D. Electrical Engineering; Queen's University at Kingston; Kingston, Ontario
- M.S. Electrical Engineering; Tufts University; Medford, MA
- B.S. Electrical Engineering (with Distinction); University of Maine, Orono, ME