Water Electrolysis Expert for Hydrogen Generation, Zinc-Air Fuel Cells and Air Electrode Technologies
Technical Consultant #1781
- 25 year career in the battery industry, moving from a senior engineer to director level responsibility in zinc air battery development and products.
- Authority on water electrolysis for hydrogen generation, zinc-air fuel cells and air electrode technologies with 50 related patents, (issued and applied for).
- Expert in battery, fuel cell, and hydrogen generation related industries.
- Develop components and designs, resulting in longer-life batteries. Creating over four times the energy density of alkaline cylindrical cells, and many tens of times higher energy, than many rechargeable batteries.
- On site laboratory provides flexibility and support for consulting on the electro chemistry and design of gas electrodes, building cathode machines and very high rate electrolysis apparatus.
- Skilled with metal-air fuel cells and hydrogen production through water electrolysis utilizing nano-scale catalysts and unique designs.
- Current work in renewable energy related fields including electrodes for batteries, metal-air fuel cells and hydrogen production through water electrolysis.
- Guest lecturer on university campuses and at technical associations including the National Hydrogen Association and Sandia National Laboratories.
Independent Consultant, 2002 - Present
- Research centered on hydrogen generation from water electrolysis, fuel cells and air-breathing batteries.
- In the last four years, 14 patents have been filed assigned to three clients.
- Develop gas electrodes specific for applications.
- Develop battery and fuel cells from custom-made cathodes.
- Current work on nano Nickel/Cobalt catalysts are proving to be nearly as active as Platinum for oxygen reduction at a fraction of the cost.
- Electrochemical testing and evaluation of gas electrodes produced elsewhere for functionality and failure analysis.
- Client and consulting work includes: A major battery company (new electrodes and failure analysis); catalyst making corporation (verification of their catalyst); research and development firm (new proton-permeable electrode for a thermal battery); small battery company (failure analysis and solution suggestions); major research and development company (line evaluation and suggesting improvements); and, two National Laboratory projects and mentoring of young scientists.
Electric Fuel Corporation, Biet Shemesh, Isreal 1997 - 2002
- Director of Research - New Products, Manager of Marietta, GA, Laboratory
- Built a zinc air battery research laboratory in Marietta, GA.
- Designed and developed a gas-electrode manufacturing machinery and many other components for Zinc Air batteries.
- Electrochemical studies for failure analysis and product improvement.
Rayovac Corporation, Madison, WI, 1979 - 1997
Rayovac Position history and accomplishments:
- 1979 Project Engineer
- 1980 Lead Project Engineer
- 1984 Sr. Project Engineer
- 1991 Sr. Staff Engineer
- 1994 Principal Engineer (Highest technical level at Rayovac)
- Major contributor to the overdeveloped of the zinc air battery product line.
- Holds 34 patents in zinc air batteries and related areas.
- Major inventor of air cathode design and related battery manufacturing machines.
- Co-managed 18 engineers and technicians.
- Principal Investigator for two government CECOM SBIR grants worth $2.2 million.
Project Engineer, Upjohn Corp. North Haven, CT, 1974 - 1979
- At the D. S. Gilmore Fire & Flammability Research Laboratory studied the physics of fire.
- Flammability research as it pertained to urethane foams.
- Invented many pieces of test equipment for flammability studies including electronics for bench tests and full-room burns.
- Helped develop computer testing models of large fires.
- Patent for HCN detector system which is ten times more sensitive than standard tests.
Honors & Publications
- Electrochemical Society (ECS) since 1980, have held offices including Local Section offices, National Ways & Means Committee, Council of Local Sections and Local Section Rep. to the Board of Directors.
- Continuing Education: Case Western Reserve, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI.
Publications and Patents
- Many publications and papers.
- Inventor or co-inventor of more than 50 patents.
B.S., Biology, University of Wisconsin, Stevens Point, WI