- Cosmetic and consumer product development consultant, specializing in hair care, skin care, sun care, manufacturing and formulation.
- Introduction of new consumer products.
- Development of new ingredients for household, personal care and pharmaceutical products.
- Hair care, skin care, antiperspirant, household cleaning product and detergent products as well as raw materials related to each.
- REACH regulations and chemical ingredient product development.
- Development of polymers and surfactants for use in these various products.
- "Green" products and processes.
- Global research and development management experience. Managed labs in U.S., U.K., Germany, Turkey, China, Singapore and Brazil.
Undisclosed Company Director of Research and Development, Present
- Develop a line of hair care products for their initial product launch in India.
- Initial prototypes and were moving quickly forward.
- Joined the founding group and act as Technical Director and Owner
- Continue to be the development and evaluation of our products, resolving technical issues and helping the group make needed contacts within the global personal care industry.
- Launched 2 product lines so far and are planning for the company's future.
HKKC, LLC, President and Chief Technical Officer, 2014 - Present
- Support, assist and consult cosmetic, consumer goods and chemical industries firms needing help in various areas such as hair care, skin care, cosmetic, household cleaning and other consumer products development, formulation, and research and development.
- Work with companies around the world providing broad-based knowledge related to cosmetic ingredients, nomenclature (INCI), REACH regulations, and product testing requirements.
- Implementing extensive contacts throughout the cosmetic, consumer products and chemical.
L'Oreal USA, Assistant Vice President, 2001 - 2010
- Led the U.S. Department that identifies new raw materials to deliver new end benefits for company's global development efforts.
- Built the department by addition of staff with key technical strengths to support all of the business areas in personal care and to cover a broad array of technologies.
- Guided the transfer of technology from numerous unrelated industries into personal care.
- Managed the formal documentation of all new materials from an American based suppliers and the implementation of the new European "REACH" rules.
- Represented company's two CTFA committees - the International Nomenclature Committee and the Chemical Identification Committee.
International Specialty Products, Inc., 1992 - 2001
Senior Director of New Product Development, 1999 - 2001
- Responsible for the new product development program aimed at significantly increasing ISP's proportion of sales coming from new products. Current portfolio of new products will more than double the percent of sales coming from new products.
- Launched 8 new products.
- Led the Rohm & Haas/ISP Alliance New Product Team and served on the Alliance Business Team.
- Acquisition and licensing efforts. Negotiated for ISP and its customers a license of 2 patents held by Proctor & Gamble to permit the sale of Rohm & Haas's thickeners for use in several patented applications.
Global Director, Hair Care Technology - Senior Director Europe, Research and Development, 1998 - 1999
- Based in the London area to manage ISP's 3 European laboratories (Guildford, UK; Cologne, Germany, and Istanbul, Turkey) for all 7 of ISP's business areas and to lead the global hair care technology in these labs along with those in Singapore; Shanghai, China; Sao Paolo, Brazil; and Wayne, NJ.
- Member of both the Personal Care Business Team and the European Management Team.
- Reported to the VP/Business Director, Personal Care as well as to the VP Research and Development.
Director, Personal Care Research and Development Technical Service, 1992 - 1998
- Led the activities of seven personal care research and development laboratories, globally.
- Responsibilities include developing new applications for ISP's products, defining new product opportunities, and coordinating technical service for our customers.
- Restructured the Personal Care Technical Service and Research and Development Department to make it the leading support group among the Personal Care industry's suppliers.
- Coordinated the Research and Development role in the creation of the alliance between ISP and Rohm & Haas.
- Currently these two entities are jointly developing new products based on the combination of both companies' technologies.
- Worked with the business team to develop and implement the global research and development strategy and budget.
- Guided polymer research and applications work, which has led to a major breakthrough on 55% VOC hair spray. (Achieved this using Quality Function Deployment (QFD) techniques.)
- Led development of novel sunscreen for hair - Escalol® HP-610. This entailed defining the effects of the sun on hair, developing test methods to prove the impact of the sun, and developing the chemistry to deliver a substantive UV absorber to the hair from conventional conditioning products.
- Served as General Manager of ISP-Van Dyk, a newly acquired, $40 million subsidiary, and led its integration into ISP's main business unit (11/93-8/94).
- Initiated major cost saving project for key sunscreen chemical that yielded multimillion-dollar annual savings.
- Traveled extensively and made technical presentations to key customers and at symposia in 38 countries.
Clariol, Inc., (Bristol-Myers Squibb) Director, Hair and Skin Care Product Development, 1992 - 2001
- Provided technical direction for the development and launch of new and improved hair and skin care products.
- Scope included product definition and formulation, close interaction with marketing, consumer use testing, fragrance development and coordination with Process Development and Manufacturing.
- Hair and skin care sales-$200 million with a research and development budget of $2 million. Managed a research and development staff.
- Realigned the hair and skin care department and built up staff to better meet Clairol's new product development needs.
- Added 4 very effective chemists all of whom have since moved up to senior positions at Clairol and at Revlon.
- Member of Clairol's quality council, was trained for this at the Crosby Quality College. By reducing quality problems, this program led to savings equaling about 3% of sales.
- Was Clairol's representative to the Bristol-Myers Squibb Product Development Forum to build links between the 3 consumer goods divisions (i.e., Clairol, Drackett, and Bristol-Myers Products). Conducted a 3-day technical symposium for 200 representatives of the consumer goods divisions.
- Led development of the Condition® 3-in-1 Shampoo line and a 28 SKU Condition HTML styling product line for the retail market and a similar expansive line called Logics® for the salon market.
- Formulated and launched a new styling product line under the Final Net brand name. This was based on a novel, natural polymer system.
- Directed the formulation of a preferred, low-VOC hair spray. This yielded savings of over $1 million per year.
- Managed a high level of new product activity leading to more than 58 new formulas ready for launch in one year. Over 100 formulation projects were managed concurrently.
The Andrew Jergens Company, Cincinnati, OH, Director of Project Development, 1985 - 1987
- Provided overall product development leadership for hand lotions, body lotions, bar soaps and hair care products.
- Built a strong, positive working relationship between Product Development and Marketing.
- Built a strong working alliance between research and development and Jergens Marketing Department. This provided an opportunity to jointly develop a significant new product development program.
The Proctor and Gamble Company, Cincinnati, OH, 1970 - 1985
- Section Head of Product Development in the Beauty Care Division.
- Responsible for process and product development for numerous hair and skin care brands including Sure, Secret, Head & Shoulders, Ivory and Pert.
- Defined Sure and Secret antiperspirant development program, leading to a successful restage.
- Guided the technical and process support for upgrades of several existing hair care brands.
- Managed the design and construction of a versatile new pilot plant for hair care products.
- Developed low and non-phosphate formulas for Tide, Cheer, etc. based on Zeolite A; managing the construction of a pilot plant to produce Zeolites; refining the detergent-making process; starting test market of these formulas; and acting with Purchasing to negotiate Zeolite supply contracts. Received several U.S. patents for this work.
- Optimized a novel surfactant system and using it to formulate P&G's first non-phosphate detergents; providing process development support to the non-phosphate start-up task force that launched these products (e.g., Tide, Oxydol, Dash).
- Served as Research and Development Campus recruiter at Carnegie-Mellon for 10 years.
Honors & Publications
- Cosmetics, Toiletries, and Fragrances Association - Scientific Advisory Committee.
- Society of Cosmetic Chemists - Past Chairman National Communications Committee.
- Member of the Committee on Scientific Affairs, past Connecticut Chapter Chairman.
- Member, Product Development and Management Association, certification as a "New Product Development Professional" by PDMA.
- Post Graduate Technical Programs at Imperial College London and University of Lund, Malmo, Sweden
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Served as board member- Chairman of TRI Princeton, a consultancy which serves the hair care and textile industries (board of trustees).
- Editorial Advisory Board Member, Cosmetics and Toiletries Magazine.
- Member, Carnegie-Mellon University Admissions Council.
- Founding President, Association of Formulation Chemists; chaired the AFC's inaugural meeting, (Attended by 280 formulators from 19 countries).
- Personal Care Products Council (Cosmetics, Toiletries, and Fragrances Association) - Scientific Advisory Committee, Nomenclature Committee-INCI
- International Cosmetic Ingredient Dictionary and Handbook (INCI) Editions-Contributor
- Product Development and Management Association - Awarded certification as a "New Product Development Professional" by PDMA.
Publications and Patents
- Numerous technical publications including a book chapter on hair conditioners.
- Authored Chapter on "Hair Conditioners" being published in Allured Publishing's Chemistry and Manufacture of Cosmetics (Revised Edition).
- Speaker at the CTFA Annual Scientific Symposium and at HBA Annual Meeting.
- 7 U.S. Patents.
- MBA Marketing, Xavier University, Cincinnati, OH
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA