- Ph.D. in Molecular Chemistry with advanced technical skills (collection, analysis, characterization, interpretation), managing environmental and occupational health projects.
- Senior consultant/chemist with over fifteen years of experience conducting and managing full-scale environmental projects for governments and agencies across Canada and internationally.
- Experience in laboratory design and effective management of project teams, Chemists, and Lab Technicians.
- Expert in water and inorganic trace analysis.
- Technical expertise with ability to manage scientific projects from planning through budgeting, resource management, and completion. Additional experience in laboratory design.
- Strong Access database development skills.
Undisclosed Company, Project Manager Regulatory Affairs, 2010 - Present
- Managing role for permitting, reporting and compliance projects for both environmental, health and safety within assets.
- Responsible for projects involving fleet of approximately 50 power plants.
- Specific tasks/projects include:
- Title V permitting requirements for sites in the United States.
- Environmental compliance for United States and Canada.
- Greenhouse gases emissions calculations for the carbon disclosure project.
- Implementation of an environmental management system.
Department of National Defence, Toronto, Ontario, Scientific Officer, 2001 - 2009
Financial Management Officer, 2009 - 2010
- Senior scientific role directing full scale environmental health risk studies ranging from air/water analysis to mold assessments, and mercury and chlorine surveys.
- Managed project teams, liaised with internal client groups, and presented final reports. Concurrently managed the Deployable Health Hazard Assessment Team.
- Select projects include:
- Compressed Breathing Air Program - managed the air quality program for all diver tanks. Analyzed samples for trace particulates and contaminants and forwarded corrections.
- Water purification systems - assessed the efficacy of portable water purification systems used by infantry soldiers.
- Artillery Emissions - characterized gaseous emissions (metals, lead propellants) during live artillery gun firing and evaluated health effects on artillery soldiers.
- Mold and air quality projects - completed a variety of site-specific assessments to identify/measure mold, noise, and mercury/chlorine levels for the City of Toronto.
- Oversee and manage all land forces operations across Ontario with a budget of $360 million. Credited with turning around budget allocation and compliance processes and held full accountability for all expense claims investigations, and reporting.
Environment Illimite Inc., Montreal, Quebec, Environmental Chemist, 2000 - 2001
- Planned and executed comprehensive environmental studies for municipal, utility, and corporate clients across Canada and in the U.S. project highlights include:
- Developed an Access database on fish sampling in the Lewiston Reservoir and Niagara River for the New York Power Authority.
- Analyzed sampling equipment and analytical techniques for identification and measurement of greenhouse gases (Hydro Manitoba).
- Completed water, sediment surveys and prepared reports on sampling and filtration protocols for water systems throughout Quebec, including Riviere Romaine, Bay of Gaspe, and Canal Lachine.
Tekran Inc., Toronto, Ontario, Environmental Chemist, 1998 - 1999
- First in-house Chemist hired by the company to assist in the development of state-of-the-art continuous mercury monitoring systems.
- Advised on methods to optimize analysis and performance, calibrated instruments, and trained international governments, universities, and environmental labs on sampling and analysis techniques.
- Installed and managed clean laboratory.
Department of Fish & Game, Monterey, California, Environmental Consultant, 1998
- Completed a project to analyze mercury and selenium levels in the Sacramento River system.
- Collected and analyzed samples and developed method for selenium analysis.
St. Lawrence Centre, Montreal, Quebec, Environmental Chemist, 1992 - 1998
- Hired into this scientific role to manage the mass balance of organic and inorganic contaminants in the St. Lawrence River and its input and output waters (project part of the St. Lawrence Action Plan).
- Based on technical knowledge and leadership, given full project and management control over new lab and mercury programs.
- Project Manager for Phases I and II of the St. Lawrence Action Plan: Studies measured the mass balance and seasonal patterns of contaminants and industrial effluents with the goal to determine sources.
- Assisted in the design and installation of the new laboratory for mercury and methyl mercury analysis, a world-class facility and clean room that quickly attracted international clientele.
- Served as Lab Manager for all inorganic trace analysis.
Honors & Publications
- Canadian Certified Environmental Practitioner (CCEP)
- Environmental Site Assessment: Phase I Associated Environmental Site Assessors of Canada
- Risk Communication, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (South Carolina)
- Leadership & Ethics, Department of National Defense
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods, Transport Canada
- WHMIS, St. Lawrence Centre
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Environmental Professional, Canada
Publications and Patents
- Author and Co-author of over twenty environmental studies and technical reports.
- Ph.D. Molecular Chemistry, University of Nantes, France
- M.H.Sc. Occupational & Environmental Health, University of Toronto, Canada
- M.Sc. Food Engineering, University of Dijon, Dijon, France