Executive with Expertise in Sales, Marketing, and Finance of Technical Industrial Products
Technical Consultant #1748
- Executive with over twenty years of industrial materials and technology businesses ranging in size from pre-revenue to $350 million.
- Engineering, sales, marketing, and operations experience in effecting change in a union manufacturing environment.
- New product development.
- Joint venture management.
- International strategic analysis.
- Global contract negotiations.
Independent Consultant, 2002 - Present
- Developed a global business plan for VC funding of a JV (start-up and current business) for supplying consumables to the solar and semiconductor industries.
- Examined global impact of U.S. bioethanol markets and policies for Japan government.
Consulting and Business Acquisitions Search, 2002 - 2004
- Operations and marketing consulting for various businesses.
- Business consultant to Cara Plastics, which develops and manufactures 70% renewable material bio-based polymers.
- Explored over 30 businesses for purchase or equity position.
Edgelink, Camden, NJ, Senior Advisor to Chief Executive Officer, 2004 - 2008
- Early Stage software company that has developed a platform for the integration of voice, data, and video telecommunication for security and incident management.
- Signed up U.S. Coast Guard as client and received U.S. Congressional Caucus award.
- Executed channel partner agreement with ADT Security Services.
- Developed financial business model and constructed PPM for investors.
Cabot Corporation, Serving Several Positions, 1995 - 2002
- Director - Commercial Products, 1998 - 2002
- Business Manager, 1997 - 1998
- Marketing Manager - Aerogels, Corporate Development, 1995 - 1997
- A $1.7 billion specialty chemicals company with headquarters in Boston, MA, maintaining over 40 sites in 21 countries, a world leader in the technology and production of high performance tantalum.
- Tantalum powder, wire and mill stock are used for electronic components and semiconductor fabrication.
Management and Strategic Planning
- Directed all marketing, sales, profitability, and long range strategic planning for a $350 million division.
- Led operations via product line managers and Sales & Operations Planning (S&OP).
- Utilized TQM and other quality processes to effect change and improve product quality and safety performance by over 50% in a union environment.
- Held interim positions as Research and Development Director and CFO. Board member and main liaison to Japan and German joint ventures.
- Developed market and business plans for two new businesses.
Marketing and Sales
- Negotiated and executed several six- and five-year international sales contracts ($1.6 billion) for 85% plant capacity.
- Total account responsibility for international accounts and distributors.
- Restructured relationship with European sales agent to reduce costs by 10% and reduced corporate financial exposure.
- Increased margins by over 30% per year for two years by conducting supply and value chain analyses.
- Led research and development employing Stage Gate product development to double new product sales each year.
- Constructed excel value analysis and business models to determine key product features and price points.
- Investigated several application technologies and determined full-scale new product manufacturing costs.
- Utilized sensitivity analyses and positioning focus to redirect corporate strategy.
Plastic Materials Company, Milford, DE, Assistant General Manager, 1994 - 1995
- Privately owned plastics compounder with 65 employees and sales of $10 million.
- Headed all marketing and sales, utilizing 15 distributor companies and 2 sales representatives.
- Grew business by 15% by conducting analysis of resin, toll compounding, and color businesses and restructuring product mix.
E.I. DuPont de Nemours, Inc., 1978 - 1994
- A global chemical, polymer, and materials manufacturing company with 24 billion in sales.
- Positions held:
- Director of Marketing, Ecochem, Wilmington, DE, 1991 - 1994
- Engineering Polymers Senior Market Development Specialist, Wilmington, DE, 1987 - 1991
- Mechanical Testing Supervisor, Wilmington, DE, 1984 - 1987
- Plastics Designer, Wilmington, DE, 1982 - 1984
- Area Engineer, Orange, TX and Ilion, NY, 1978 - 1982
Management and Strategic Planning
- Developed a global marketing strategy for a degradable (polylactide) polymer.
- Negotiated over 40 ten-year secrecy and development agreements with global potential partners to baseload a 100 million lb. commercial plant.
- Wrote business plan and started-up marketing of all engineering test services to outside companies.
- Responsible for technical program coordination, capital forecasting, and salary administration for 13 exempt and non-exempt personnel. Annual billings exceeded $1 million. Coordinated site training for 100 people.
Sales and New Product Development
- Developed and implemented market plans for new appliance component designs of DuPont polymers into major and small appliance segments ($2 million new sales).
- Secured two global customer contracts ($7.9 million).
- Provided technical design services to support sales.
- Critiqued customer designs and estimated tooling and part costs.
- Conducted on-site customized design seminars to Ford Motors and other customers.
- Led product and processing development for new market applications in degradable (polylactide) polymer.
- Coordinated technical and field activities of 11 unionized crafts for process equipment and facilities construction.
- Managed capital projects of $12 million and over 100 work requests during 3-week shutdown.
- Developed and implemented comprehensive site energy management program.
- Exceeded energy reduction goals by 30%.
Honors & Publications
- Business Case Studies, Harvard Business School
- U.S. Congressional Caucus award.
- MBA Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering, Carnegie Mellon University