- Process Engineering Manager: Inventor of new, patented processes for converting hazardous chemicals to either salable or benign species.
- Managed and installed over 200 capital projects in proprietary flavor and fragrance, and precious metal industries.
- Chemical reactor design, extraction, distillation, scrubbers, maintenance management, quality control and security.
- TSCA design for hazardous locations, Class I, Division flammable systems.
- Separations design for organic and inorganic chemicals.
- Program national labs Labview data acquisition system.
- Designed and installed instruments and process systems for small scale experimentation.
- Clean Air Act, New source review consulting.
- Permitting meeting California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) standards.
- Solar thermal panel design and process consulting.
Undisclosed Company, President, 1999 - Present
Reactive Separations Technology Development and Licensing
- Developed new scrubbing technology for ozone depleting alkyl halides; license technology to fumigators and exporters for ozone layer protection.
- Scrubbing technology judged BACT (Best Available Control Technology) for State of California for destroying methyl bromide (3 patents and 2 pending ).
- Federal contractor, 5 SBIR Awards, U.S. Dept of Energy for removing anions from wastewater.
- Chemical synthesis development for carbon fibers.
- Designed and built custom 3,000 sq. ft. lab space for process development.
Johnson Matthey, Inc., West Deptford, NJ, Process Engineering Manager, 1991 - 1998
- Managed capital programs resulting in 50% ROI in 5 years.
- Production expansion for extraction, filtration, high temperature ovens and rhodium octanoate process overhaul.
Capital Project Manager
- Overseeing 7 engineers, 3 supervisors and 35 maintenance.
- Introduced first principals approach to evaluating processes and projects.
- Automated precious metal refinery, including: Reactor design, crystallizers, precious metal filtrations, corrosion design, installed continuous processes for gold removal and precious metal recovery.
- De-bottlenecked effluent plant via ammonia removal.
- Eliminated most of historical precious metal loss of $1.5 million per year.
- Installed first non-PGM plant material balance.
- Conceived and installed automatic titrators for absolute pH control of scrubbers.
- Negotiated and implemented comprehensive contractor policy and overtime system in conjunction with union representatives.
Hercules Inc., 1980 - 1991
Technical Superintendent, Middletown, NY
- Scale up of fermentation processes to make natural butyric acid and high pressure esterifications to produce ethyl butyrate.
- Designed and started up ultra filtration and reverse osmosis operations for 20,000 gallon continuous fermenter.
- Developed process safety review and HAZOP.
- Negotiated and Implemented toll processing contracts and technology transfer packages to tollers for continuous liquid-liquid extraction of flavor compounds.
Quality Control Director
- Conceived and installed statistical analysis of customer complaints.
- Head of quality improvement team charged with root cause problem solving. Resulted in 45% fewer customer complaints.
- Set manufacturing protocols and was the "receiver" of all new research and development processes for implementation into the chemical plant.
- Orange oil distillations, supercritical vanilla extraction, spray drying, high pressure autoclave esterifications.
- Managed installation of all capital projects.
Chemical Engineer, Wilmington, DE
- Pilot plant process research on continuous "bulk" polypropylene pilot plant.
- Solved catalyst flow and iso-kinetic polymer transfer problems.
- Supervised 2 engineers and 12 operators for a 24 hours, seven days a week operation.
Honors & Publications
Publications and Patents
- Peered reviewed publications and authored conference proceedings.
- 2 U.S. patents.
- MBA Business Administration, Columbia University, New York, NY
- M.S. Chemical Engineering, U Cal. Berkeley, CA
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, Northeastern University, Boston, MA