Summary: Senior research scientist known for creative, practical and goal oriented work and education in organic chemistry. Extensive experience in pharmaceuticals and fine chemicals research and development and pilot plant design and operation. Research career involves chemical process design, product development and optimization and scale-up of APIs and fine chemicals.
- Synthesis of steroids and steroidal intermediates, APIs related to hormone replacement therapy (HRT).
- Synthesis of protected amino acids and amino acids linked to resins.
- Custom synthesis of protected nucleosides.
- Synthesis of flavoring and fragrance compounds.
- Synthesis of heterocycles drug intermediates.
- Spectroscopy (UV, IR, FT-NMR, MS).
- Chromatography (GC, HPLC, TLC and Column).
- Handling of moisture-sensitive and pyrophoric compounds.
- Parallel synthesis using Design of Experiments (DOE).
- Knowledge of lyophilisation, nanofiltration and spray drying techniques.
Independent Consultant, Present
Organics LLC, (Organics/LaGrange acquired by Solvay Pharmaceuticals in 2005), 1998 - 2010
- Positions: Sr. Research Scientist, 2005-2010; Synthetic Research Manager, 1999 - 2005; Senior Research Chemist, 1998-1999.
- Developed a novel new process for one of the intermediates required in the API manufacturing.
- Achieved several new products synthesis for new customers resulting in new revenue for the company.
- Supplied high quality standards for USP and internal use.
- Gather and interpret published information that lead to the resolution of synthetic pathways of new API products.
- Plan and perform experiments designed to determine the best options for new product synthesis.
- Analyze test results of various materials to determine chemical and physical properties.
- Investigate new equipment and developing processes incorporating the new equipment into existing processes.
- Work with other departments, notably Quality Assurance, in performing qualification of new equipment, raw materials, process changes, or other technical problems that may arise.
- Prepare standards and specifications for processes and products.
- Evaluate work of outside laboratories.
Chem-Impex International, Wood Dale, IL, Manager, Production/Quality Control, 1991 - 1998
- Involved in setting up of the manufacturing facility analytical laboratory.
- Supervised the manufacturing of protected amino acids, resins and protected nucleosides.
- Developed a 1000 chemicals catalog.
- Trained many coworkers and reports with purification techniques involving preparative HPLC.
- Involved making the yearly budget, writing the SOPs and reports, ordering the chemicals and the instruments for the lab.
Reckitt & Colman of India Ltd., Hosur, India
- Manager of Analytical/Quality Control Lab.
- Senior Scientist
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Member of American Chemical Society
Honors and Awards.
- Winner of Solvay Pharmaceuticals Pioneer Award.
- Several Team, select and celebration awards at Solvay Pharmaceuticals.
- Awarded Senior Research Fellowship and Junior Research Fellowship by Council of Scientific and Industrial Research of India.
- Merit Award at Reckitt & Colman of India.
- Dissertation: "Synthetic Studies in Steroids."
- Post-doctoral Fellow, University of Texas, Austin.
- Research Associate, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore.
- Post-doctoral Fellow, University of South Carolina, Columbia.
- Post-doctoral Fellow, Boston University, Boston.
- Fourteen publications in international journal.
- Twelve process patents for pharmaceutical and fine chemicals.
- Ph.D. Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India
- M.Sc. Bangalore University, Bangalore, India
- B.Sc. Bangalore University (With Honors) Bangalore, India