- Chemical engineering expert for specialty amines and alkanolamines process and manufacturing facilities.
- Chemical process design, development and engineering.
- Steady state and dynamic process modeling and simulation.
- Expert in Aspen modeling and simulation.
- Developing and implementing process control strategies.
- Energy integration and optimization.
- Chemical process and project option evaluations.
- Process troubleshooting, plant, unit operation and project startup.
- Operations management and personnel training.
- Experienced in processes like catalytic hydrogenation, ethoxylation, amination and esterifications.
- Process safety management, hazards and consequence analysis.
- Experienced in Process Hazard Analysis Software Tool (PHAST) for safety and environmental modeling.
- Certified to lead Process Hazard Analysis per OSHA Process Safety management (PSM).
Independent Consultant, Present
Undisclosed Firm, Senior Principal Process Engineer, 2006 - 2010
- Technology expert for specialty amines and alkanolamines business; supporting amines and alkanolamines plants in Florida, Louisiana, Michigan, and Germany.
- Completed plant scale-up and startup for two new amine products in Pace, FL.
- Completed process package for $24 million expansion (7 alkanolamine products), St.Gabriel, LA.
- Led process hazard reviews of 7 plant units in Riverview, MI (certified PHA leader).
- Developed energy integration project for major chemical facility in Leuna, Germany utilizing detailed Aspen process simulation modeling.
- Provided technological consultation across the organization for process scale up, new products and process research and development.
- Developed in-house physical properties databank for process modeling and design.
Air Products and Chemicals, Allentown, PA, and Wichita, KS, 1994 - 2006
Senior Principal Process Engineer and Team Leader Project Manager
- Supported polyurethane intermediates and amines facilities in Texas, Louisiana and Florida world scale DNT, TDA, SA plants.
- Sulfuric acid plant rates, carbon treatment and steam system (Geismar, LA).
- Sulfuric acid quality, nitric acid, dintrotoluene, carbon and steam system OPHR (Pasadena, TX).
- Support for world scale methylamines, ethylamines, isopropylamines and higher amines plants (Pensacola, FL, St Gabriel LA).
- Developed new process for cyclohexylamine and commercialized diamylamines.
- Invented and implemented monoamylamine process (Pensacola, FL)
- Methylamines storage safety "Fault Trees" (Pensacola, FL)
- Waste water treatment - design of tank aeration and sludge filtration project (St. Gabriel, LA).
- Global business development and engineering projects planning.
Support and Consultation
- Large scale alkylamines and alkanolamines facilites in Teeside, U.K., and Chocques, France.
- Methylethanolamines aqueous process, isopropanolamines quality, product ratio and debottlenecking plant improvements, dimethylethanolamines non-aqueous process, distillation redesign and implementation in Chocques, (France).
- Dimethylethanolamine quality, ethylene oxide emissions, storage and handling, Teeside (U.K.)
- Batch hydrogenation process specialty amines manufacture in Wichita, Kansas and various toll units.
- Led de-bottlenecked a facility from 9 million lbs/year to 25 million lbs/yr.
- Conceptualized, championed and executed numerous technological and business process changes over 5 years to turn around the specialty amines business from an under-performing assets to a 20% PBIT business.
- Team lead for cobalt dimethylaminopropylamine (DMAPA) turnaround, also 1,8-Diazabicyclo [5.4.0] undec-7-ene (DBU) and N-Ethyl-1,2-dimethylpropylamine (EDMPA) improvements.
- Commercialized a new $15 million potential product co-ordinating a team research and development, manufacturing, engineering and marketing personnel for aminopropyldiethanolamine (APDEA).
- Champion of new technologies and new product committees, key inventor for applying supercritical hydrogenation, reactive distillation, mini-plants for existing and new products.
- Technology leader for European methyls and derivatives in UK and France (supporting Teeside and Chocques FR plants) in Chem PST.
- Technology coordinator for Monolith PACM (Para-AminocyClohexylMethane)hydrogenation research and development program in Chem IPP.
Monsanto Company, Nitro Plant, WV and Research Center, Akron, OH, 1989 - 1994
Senior Process Technologist and Lead Process Engineer
- Led process development and design, managed projects through scope development, funds appropriation, detailed design, construction, start-up, operator training and troubleshooting.
- Developed project proposals to modify existing processes for optimizing costs, quality, yields and pollution performance. Interfaced with environmental agencies, consultants, and contract engineering.
- Participated in vendor and customer quality audits.
- Developed new procedures and standards for process safety management and ISO 9000.
- Retrofitted two processing operations involving 20 new pieces of equipment, 150 instrument points, and Provox distributed process control. Completed $1.5 million project resulting in $400,000 per year costs savings and 70% reduction in solid waste.
- Implemented a major process redesign project reducing SARA Title III air emissions by 90%, which required emissions testing, process modifications, containment and recycling designs, and new equipment.
- Demonstrated breakthrough process improvement insights into 20 and 30 year old commercialized rubber chemical processes which led to a complete redirection in the respective process improvement programs.
Felton Worldwide Inc., Brooklyn, NY, Process Development Engineer, 1987 - 1989
- Developed scale up methods for laboratory processes for more than 15 organic chemical products used in sunscreen cosmetics, flavors and fragrances.
- Responsible for pilot batching of new or improved product formulations.
- Gained extensive experience with analytical chemistry instruments such as GC, HPLC, ion chromatography, IR/UV spectroscopy and mass spectrometry.
- Achieved a step improvement in quality and a 15% yield improvement in a sunscreen chemical manufacturing process.
Hindustan Lever Ltd., Research Center, Bombay, India, 1982 %u2013 1987
- Filled positions: Process Research Engineer (Bioprocesses), Jr. Research Engineer (Detergents).
- Responsible for scaling up laboratory processes to pilot production scale, while providing process development expertise at the research stage.
- Performed feasibility studies, planned and supervised experimental designs, established key scale up parameters, and prepared project proposals for commercialization.
- Developed a complete manufacturing process from fermentation to product recovery for organic acids (lactic acid, propionic, butyric), which involved numerous inventions for process improvement.
- Achieved a breakthrough in a fungal enzyme (tyrosinase) recovery process which led to successful product development after nearly ten years of previous attempts.
- Demonstrated a production scale enzyme catalytic (lipases) process which led to commercial success.
- Tested and developed new detergent additives, fillers, bleaching agents, and foaming agents.
- Studied physical processes and techniques such as microencapsulation and supercritical extraction.
Honors & Publications
- Certified in lead Process Hazard Analysis per OSHA Process Safety management (PSM).
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE)
- American Chemical Society (ACS)
- ABS Consulting Certified Process Hazards Review Leader
- Winner of Technology Excellence Award and PACM team leader Award.
Publications and Patents
- Author of educational text, presentations, of peer reviewed articles and a public speaker.
- 1 U.S. patent.
- M.S. Information Systems and Management, Marshall University, Graduate College, WV
- B.Tech. Chemical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay, India