- Pharmaceutical / biomedical research scientist with 34 years of experience in the area of oncology.
- Drug discovery research in the Cancer Department at Merck Research Labs.
- Demonstrated track record identifying protein targets involved in the cancer disease process and developing small molecules that inhibit their functional activity.
- Evaluate and integrate outcomes data from a variety of sources.
- Recognized as an excellent mentor and motivator of research staff and colleagues, capable of maintaining a high level of productivity and achieve program objectives.
- Developmental biology.
- Cellular biology.
- Molecular biology.
- Animal model systems (oncology).
- Cell cycle regulation - signal transduction.
- Apoptosis/survival signaling.
- Cancer target ID and validation.
- Assay and drug development (oncology).
Independent Consultant, 2009 - present
- Target ID /validation /drug discovery and development, with clients, including Locus Pharmaceuticals and GlaxoSmithkline.
GlaxoSmithkline Research Laboratories, Collegeville, PA , Manager, 2007 - 2008
- Oncology target ID and validation cell based assay development (myc, ALK, EGFR family).
Merck Research Laboratories, West Point, PA,1982 - 2007
Senior Investigator,1999 - 2007
- AKT program (led to development of MK2206).
- IGFR program.
- PSA-conjugate program.
Senior Research Fellow, 1995 - 1999
- HPV E7 oncology program.
- Apoptosis targets (caspases, Bcl2 family members).
- Rb interacting proteins.
Research Fellow, 1990 - 1995
- Growth factors and their receptors (TGFa, HER family members).
- Transcription factor signaling.
- Ras proteins for cellular signal transduction.
National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, Research Associate, Laboratory of Molecular Oncology, 1978 - 1982
- Identification, cloning and expression of Ras family proteins.
Columbia University, New York, NY, Research Assistant, Department of Cancer Research, 1974 - 1978
- Development of two step carcinogenesis models.
- Tumor promotion by phorbol esters.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Association for Cancer Research
- Developmental Biology
- Cellular Biology
- Molecular Biology
- Animal Model Systems
- Cell Cycle Regulation - Signal Transduction
- Apoptosis/Survival Signaling
- Cancer Target ID / Validation / Drug Development
Publications and Patents
- 58 publications
- 7 patents
- M.S. Molecular Biology, American University, Washington, DC
- B.S. Biology, SUNY at Geneseo, NY