Nonwoven Consultant: Lycra®, Nylon, PET Spunbonded, PP Spunbonded and PET Nonwoven Fabrics, Specializing in Cleanroom and Fiber Shedding
Technical Consultant #1638
- Forty years technical experience in nonwovens and fibers (PET staple, Lycra® nylon, PET spunbonded, PP spunbonded, PET and PET/woodpulp spunlaced).
- Design of Cleanroom fabrics having low particles and fiber shedding.
- Analytical methods development for characterization of nonwovens, (fiber shedding, particle generation, dynamic wiping efficiency, cleaning ability, rate of sorption).
- Spunlaced processing, entanglement, including three product and one process patent.
- Method development of Finish-on-Fiber analysis in staple form.
- "Instant" method development for deduction of finish level of fibers while still in bale.
- Lab equipment/method development for testing and evaluating PET fibers.
- Image analysis for determination of fabric uniformity and texture/texture retention.
- Worked with PET fiber producers in U.S. and Asia to develop and optimize staple performance in spunlaced nonwovens.
Independent Consultant, 2009 - Present
DuPont, Old Hickory, TN and Wilmington, DE, Research and Development, 1967 - 2009
Senior Research Associate, Research Fellow, Sontara® Spunlaced, 1991 - 2009
- Developed PET from U. S. and Asia sources for Sontara® nonwoven.
- Invented angled jet technology to achieve balance of physical properties in spunlaced nonwovens, which resulted in increased isotropy.
- Developed method to determine "edge effects" for fiber shedding and particles an cleanroom fabrics.
- Demonstrated superior hydrophilic PET from Asia in nonwovens.
- Developed novel and then-standardized test for fiber shedding from nonwovens.
- Developed novel and then-standardized test for fiber Dynamic Wiping Efficiency and Particle Removal Ability in fabrics.
- Developed a new method to determine rate of sorption of fabrics.
- Discovered and developed "instant" method for finish-on-fiber analysis (in-bale, in-situ).
- Developed method for antistatic protection level with new Log R technique.
- Characterized industrial and household wiping materials, both dry and wetted with solvents.
- Assessed wiping materials for their propensity to generate particles (characteristic curves).
- Invented fabric using abaca long-fiber cellulose for reduced particles in cleanroom fabrics.
- Invented apertured nonwovens composed of woodpulp/PET.
- Evaluated alternate PET suppliers for Sontara® spunlaced fabric.
Product Development, PP Carpet Fiber, Research Chemist, Research Associate, 1988 - 1991
- Evaluated the use of amphipathic additives to improve frictional characteristics and soiling in PP BCF carpet fiber.
- Developed non-gas-fading polypropylene (PP) for bulk continuous fiber (BCF) carpet.
- Studied crushing and matting of PP carpets impact of melt blends and temperature.
Process Development, Typar® Spundbonded and polypropylene (PP) fiber, 1976 - 1988
Senior Research Chemist
- Process development for low denier polypropylene (PP) spinning.
- Developed improved UV stability of low denier PP spunbonded fibers.
- Low bonded Typar® for needling applications.
- Developed tan secondary carpet backing.
- Investigation of Ducris PP BCF in Japan.
- Spinning evaluation of controlled rheology (CR) PP.
- Scouting of PP staple production on Typar® equipment.
Supervisor, Plant Technical PET Staple, First Line Manager, 1973 - 1976
- Managed daily production of PET staple.
Technical Service, Lycra® and Nylon, Senior Chemist, 1971 - 1973
- Tricot and Rachel knitting technical service.
- Effect of Stuffer Box temperature on Antron® cross section.
Process Control, PET Staple, Senior Chemist, 1969 - 1971
- Invented and developed/commercialized fasciated tow band for long fiber elimination in PET staple.
- Contributed to yield improvement programs and increased capacity spinning for PET staple.
- Developed air splicing of PET tow bands to eliminate tied spices (loose end reduction).
Analytical Research, Area Chemist, 1967 - 1969
- Zone fractionation techniques to concentrate and identify contaminates in dimethyl terephthalate (DMT) via gas chromatography.
- Developed and installed on-line DMT analyzed using UV spectroscopy.
- Gel permeation chromatography of low molecular PET oligomers.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- ASTM D13.63 Nonwovens sub-committee of Textiles (4 years)
- Working Group 004 of Contamination control division of the Institute of Environmental
- Sciences and Technology (seven years)
- INDA Standard Test Committee (six years)
- Industry Advisory Group (Hydroentangling) to North Carolina State University (one year)
- Winner, Best Paper Award, INTC, Baltimore
- Visiting lecturer, Characterization Methods for Nonwovens/Wiping Efficiency, North Carolina Research Center, NC State University.
Publications and Patents
- Seven (7) publications and 13 presentations in the fields of wiping materials, rate of sorption of fabrics, methods to determine rate of sorption, particle generation from fabrics under stress, cleanroom fabric functionality and cleanliness, fibrous debris/fiber shedding from fabrics, dynamic wiping efficiency and particle removal ability of cleanroom fabrics, and wipe-dry.
- Four (4) patents granted in the fields of absorbent cleanroom wipes, patterned/apertured fabrics containing woodpulp or abaca, and method to increase fabric isotropy and increase CD or XD strength. Other Notices of Invention Filed, not yet public.
- M.S. Analytical Chemistry, University of Arkansas, Little Rock, AR
- B. S. Chemistry, Hendrix College, Conway, AR