Polymer Expert for Plastics, Composites, Polymer Alloys and Reactive Grafting for Building Materials, Packaging and Automotive Uses
Technical Consultant #1624
- Polymer and elastomer technology, including structure-property relationships, polymer composites, polymer alloys and technology of the interface.
- Polymer reactive extrusion and grafting of thermoplastics for compatibilization of polymer alloys, reinforced composites and tie-layers to achieve oxygen, moisture and flavor barrier properties and adhesion and release.
- Polymer compounding with fiber reinforced, nano-materials, mineral and cellulose filled thermoplastics polymers and polymer alloys.
- Packaging films, sheets and containers including multi-layer co-extrusion cast and blown films.
- Plastic forming processes, injection molding, sheet extrusion, rotational molding, blow molding, thermoforming, lamination and extrusion coating.
- Patent disputes, product liability and intellectual property issues.
- Product positioning and strategic marketing and business development.
- Stage-Gate product development pipeline process, development project portfolio analysis, technology assessment and licensing.
Independent Consultant, 1992 - Present
- Developed proprietary PET-LCP alloys and TPVs based on PP-EPR, PP-NBR, and PP-SBR and numerous thermoplastic elastomer products and engineering plastics compounds for client companies for new markets.
- Served as expert witness in four product liability lawsuits, one in automotive TPOs, two in polyolefin and ABS injection molded parts as involved as expert witness in four patent disputes.
- Developed cardiology catheter and an elastomer tubing for single pump housing for medical device companies with new annual sales of $300 million.
- Developed several applications using cellulose fibers for various markets.
- Provided due diligence (technical and commercial assessment) for numerous financial, strategic and investment ventures.
- Characterized cryo-ground recycled tire rubber and developed compounds based on this ultra-fine ground powder.
- Developed compounds with inter-polymers for a large multi-national chemical company.
Crane Plastics Siding LLC, Columbus, OH, Innovations Director, 2007 - 2008
- Research director of all exterior building products based on PVC, polyolefins, expanded polystyrene (EPS), polyurethane, concrete and stone products technology.
- Responsible for intellectual property development, long term technical strategic planning, new business development and Stage-Gate process in the building materials industry.
- Filed 3 patent applications.
PolyOne Corp., Avon Lake, OH, TPV and Reactive Polymers, Technology Leader, 2002 - 2006
- Led product development, technical service, market development and plant support for filled and reinforced polyolefins, moisture crosslinked silane grafted polyolefins, thermoplastic elastomers (TPE) and vulcanizates (TPV) and wire and cable compounds.
- Developed many new reactive processed polymer alloys, blends and composite compounds for new applications resulting in profitable new annual sales of $50 million.
- Filed 8 patent applications for new value-added compounds, resulting in multi-million new annual sales.
- Provided technical service to customers and provided training to sales and marketing staff.
FiberTech Polymers, Inc., Newport Beach, CA, Chief Technology Officer and Senior VP, 2001 - 2002
- Carried out product development, marketing, business development, and customer technical service for this startup plastics compounding business.
- Conceived new cellulose fiber polyolefin master batch additives based on paper industry fiber waste and recycled polyolefins.
- Developed and marketed proprietary cellulose fiber polyolefin master batch additive for injection molding, profile and sheet extrusion and thermoforming.
International Paper, Ohio and New York, 1995 - 2001
Project Manager, Loveland, OH, 2000 - 2001
- Initiated and developed technology for the use of cellulose and wood fiber reinforced polymer and plastic composites for various applications.
- Demonstrated technical and commercial feasibility for two applications in housing and construction and several applications in packaging.
Manager, Applied Polymer Science Group, Tuxedo, NY, 1995 - 1999
- Led technical corporate research group to develop and commercialize products that provide value related to the use of polymers and coatings in packaging and other markets.
- Provided technical expertise in the area of polymers, films and advanced packaging materials.
- Initiated projects in the areas of fillers, blends, composites, release, sealing and adhesion, co-extrusion and innovative designs.
- Applied for 26 patents, commercialized $25 million in new products for packaging (solid, liquid, high barriers), construction, non-wovens and release liner markets.
BP Chemicals, Hackettstown, NJ, 1986 - 1992
General Manager, POLYBOND Products (Chemtura), 1988 - 1992
- Responsible for developing many products produced by chemical reactive grafting process that significantly enhance performance of compounded polymer alloys, blends and composites and as adhesives for polymers and metals.
- Grafted products generally used by compounders' for automotive, appliance, carpeting, business machines, diaper, housing and construction, medical devices, business machines and packaging industries.
- Grew business 9 times in 6 1/2 years and increased market share from 17 to 70%.
- Duties included P & L responsibility, budget preparation and monthly financial reporting for this specialty polymer product line. Handled purchasing negotiations and sales contracts with customers.
Technical and Development Manager, Automotive and Specialty Products Group, 1982 - 1987
- Directed the research and product development, plant support and product marketing activities of a team to take thermoplastic elastomers and grafted products to commercialization.
- Developed many new TPO products (non-crosslinked and partially cured) to customer specifications for automotive, gasket and diaper applications by compounding.
- Provided technical service to customers.
- Instrumental in selling off the TPR® business along with 4 new inventions for a premium.
Air Products and Chemicals, Allentown, PA, Senior Principal Applications Engineer, 1984 - 1986
- Developed a proprietary polyvinyl alcohol (PVOH) based copolymer oxygen barrier for flexible and rigid food packaging market and demonstrated its technical and commercial feasibility.
- Purchased, installed and operated a multi-layer co-extrusion and thermoforming pilot plant unit.
Chemplex Co., Rolling Meadows, IL, ( Lyondell-Basell), Research Scientist, 1979 - 1984
- Conducted new product development, scale-up, technical service and application development for polyethylene and Plexar® (polyolefin-based specialty extrudable adhesive product line) as tie-layers in multi-layer co-extrusion blown and cast film and sheet.
- Developed many new high margin products for FDA compliant applications resulting 11 patents and several hundred million in new sales.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Member of the American Chemical Society (ACS) Polymer Materials & Rubber Divisions.
- Senior Member of the Society of Plastics Engineers (SPE).
- Member of TAPPI; co-founder, Technical Program Chairman and Chairman of High Barrier Packaging Committee of Polymers, Laminations, Adhesives, Coatings & Extrusion.
- McIntire Entrepreneurial Executive Institute now called "The Virginia Management Program" (Executive mini-MBA) Univ. of Virginia Darden School of Business, Charlottesville, VA.
- Over 65 patent applications filed, 26 granted, resulting in over $1 billion of new annual business.
- Several technical and commercial papers published in Journal of Polymer Science, Journal of Radiation Curing, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, Polymer Letters, TAPPI Journal, Engineering Plastics, Plastics Engineering, Journal of Thermoplastic Composite Materials.
- Presented over 45 technical and marketing papers and moderated sessions at many national and international conferences.
- Ph.D. Chemistry / Polymer Science and Engineering, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN
- B.S. Chemistry, University of Bombay, Bombay, India