Analytical, CMC and Specification Consultant for Pharmaceutical Drug Substance and Drug Product Development
Technical Consultant #1620
- Assessing specification and CMC analytical development for pharmaceutical drug substances and drug products.
- Analytical project planning and strategies for early, mid and late stage development programs.
- Writing, editing, and reviewing analytical technical reports.
- CMC and regulatory submission documents for Health Authority and FDA responses.
- HPLC method development, validation and transfer.
- Subject matter expert for the isolation and identification of synthetic impurities and degradation product unknowns.
- Contract Research Organization (CRO) management.
- Analytical Investigations.
- Due diligence preparations.
- Analytical life cycle product support; competitor analysis.
- Improving Analytical Partnerships - organizational development.
Schering-Plough Research Institute, Summit, NJ, Senior Principal Scientist, 1989 - 2009
- Leadership of global analytical teams supporting drug substances and drug products in development (toxicological drug substance release through NDA post-submission support).
- Managed and developed groups of up to 9 scientists in both research and GMP environments. Managed CRO relationships.
- Proposed broad analytical strategies and executed specific tactical plans for drug substance and drug product analysis, excipients, equipment cleaning, dissolution testing, physical-chemical analysis, and microbiological analytical inputs.
- Key CMC author for regulatory submissions using the common technical document (CTD) format.
- Led a thrombin receptor antagonist analytical program from Phase I to Phase III.
- Served as Analytical Team Leader for the reformulation of temozolomide capsules.
- Led the analytical program for a priority CNS compound from pre-Tox to Phase I.
- Led global matrixed analytical teams, with partners in Puerto Rico, Ireland, Finland, Switzerland, Belgium, Singapore, and Japan.
- Developed and validated test methods following ICH Guidelines.
- Supported drug substance and product development. Quantified impurities, degradation products, and potentially genotoxic compounds.
- Assured critical quality attributes, and chemical, physical, and performance stability.
- Applied advanced expertise in HPLC method development, achieved difficult chiral and isomeric separations.
- Leveraged specialized stationary phases, alternate detection modes, and LC-MS to overcome scientific challenges and to isolate and identify chromatographic unknowns.
- Subject matter expert for the isolation and identification of synthetic impurity and degradation product unknowns.
- Responded rapidly to health authority and FDA regulatory questions.
- Proposed, justified, and implemented drug substance and drug product specifications.
- Analytical subject matter expert for FDA meetings, and SME for due diligence evaluations.
- Authored approved CMC content for: Elocon Cream, Claritin-D 12 Hour Tablets, Azium Powder, Azium Solution, Claritin Syrup, Clarinex-D 24 Hour Tablets and Temodar Capsules.
- Co-validated registration drug substance testing methods with the commercial manufacturing site saving time and technology transfer costs.
- Thorough knowledge of GMPs and quality systems for drug substance and drug product testing.
- Discovered and implemented three novel analytical techniques including a simple performance test of petrolatum to predict the potential for future ointment bleeding.
- Implemented efficiency initiatives including automated sample preparations, partnered QbD product development, UPLC applications and simplified testing of process ranging samples.
- Championed Consent Decree culture change by drafting and revising SOPs and participating in several important process re-engineering projects.
- Co-authored two training modules (isolation and identification of unknowns; and, specification development) for a CMC Fundamentals training course designed to develop junior staff in the pharmaceutical sciences.
Purdue Frederick Research Center, Yonkers, NY, Research Scientist, 1987 - 1989
- Developed and validated HPLC and dissolution methods supporting product development, and release and stability testing.
- Created a Reference Standard system and standardized formatting of test methods.
Warner-Lambert, Lititz, PA, Associate Analyst, 1984 - 1987
- Tested excipients, intermediate materials, pharmaceuticals, consumer health products, and stability samples in the QC laboratory. Backup LIMS System Manager.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists
- North Jersey Chromatography Group
- Chromatography Forum of Delaware Valley - Life Member
- Finalist for the Desty Award for Innovation in Separation Science
- 17 publications, posters, and presentations
- M.S. Industrial Pharmacy, Long Island University, Brooklyn, NY
- B.S. Chemistry, Juniata College, Huntingdon, PA