Display System Consultant and Expert Witness for LCD Architecture, LCD Technology and TFT Semiconductor Technology
Technical Consultant #1605
- 25 years of technology achievements in display system research, development, and manufacturing.
- Patent law, expert witness and technology investing related to display systems, LCD, LCoS and HT-poly TFT.
- 15 years experience in semiconductor technology.
- Diverse skill set with research and development manufacturing experience in display systems developing many novel display architectures.
- Process design and installations for microdisplay LCD foundry.
- Development of LCoS (LC on Silicon), HT-poly TFT, and amorphous TFT LCD display types in LC and semiconductor device physics and modeling.
- Process development for yield, test, and display performance improvement.
- Solid functional background in all display types, applications, and process technologies.
Undisclosed Company, 2005 - Present
Display system architectures from optics to electronics.
- Optical design and performance optimization.
- Active matrix application design, new product, and business opportunity development.
- Specialist in LCD display technology and architecture.
Patent law consulting / expert witness testimony.
- Key technology patent interpretation. Briefs, opinions, applicability, IP landscaping and mapping, claims analysis and citation analysis for prior art.
- Key technology and applicability seminars and presentations.
Contract consulting in all aspects of LC technology development.
- All aspects of LC design, performance, and functionality.
- All LC operating modes: VAN, TN, novel nematic and smectic modes.
- Digital and analog semiconductor design and processing.
Philips Electronics, Components Division, 1991 - 2005
Director of Special Projects, LCoS Operations Department, Germany, 2003 - 2005,
- Expatriate assignment in LCoS Operations Department.
- Responsible for definition of technology path for entire LCoS business line.
- Directly responsible for design specific process installations in Philips Germany microdisplay LCD foundry.
- Responsible for new LCoS business initiatives: 2nd semi fab sourcing and supply chain definition of specialty items; evaluation of CMOS foundry compatibility with design specific requirements and business models (TSMC, SMIC, UMC); and manufacturing capability assessments of new LC assembly contract manufacturing partners.
- New product design and manufacturing: Device performance and manufacturing improvements - design for test and yield; and innovative tooling and process controls for improved LCD manufacturability and performance.
LCoS Microdisplay Systems, Briarcliff Manor, NY, 1991 - 2003
Manufacturing Engineering Manager, 2001 - 2003
- Manufacturing engineering responsible for a multinational team of 8-10 engineers and technicians in a growing group for LCoS manufacturing.
- Responsible for full process installation, maintenance, and testing with contract manufacturers: Hana and Varitronix.
- Sourced and sponsored component innovations from external vendors and universities: Glass coatings, retarder foils, LC (Merck) and alignment layers.
- Responsible for the technical direction and achievement of the entire LCoS manufacturing team: Yield improvement (problem solving); project management; process engineering, development, and modifications for yield; and failure analysis and corrective action.
Technology Manager, 1999 - 2001
- Responsible for technology and new product development for entire LCoS display system.
- Improved product lifetime 4x.
- Developed novel test equipment development.
- Defined and initiated performance improvements projects: Fast LC modes for single panel systems; and novel LC addressing techniques and system architectures.
- Managed multiple external development contracts and JDAs: Merck, Rolic, Schott, University of Stuttgart, Kent State University, Hana Ohio, Philips Semicondutors and Philips Research.
Senior Member Research Staff, Research and Development, 1991 - 1999
- Integral to the initiation of LCoS business group in Philips Components Division.
- Developed a multi-divisional technical network which successfully introduced LCoS production (Research, Semiconductors, Components, Lighting).
- Research into high performance LCD modes for single panel applications.
- Experimental and theoretical (simulation) performance benchmarking for multiple LCD effects.
- Developed 4x4 Mathematica based simulation with Poincare sphere propagation representation in complex birefringent media.
- Technical contributions integral in the development of medium voltage semiconductor process technology enabling use of high performance LCD modes.
- Discovered and published novel physical LCD behaviors integral in developing high-speed LCD display applications.
Optron Systems, Inc., Bedford, MA, Senior Research Scientist, 1990 - 1991
- Principle investigator for U.S. Government SBIR contracts. Responsibilities included generating proposals and reports, monitoring daily technical progress, and budgeting.
- Conducted research to advance the application of liquid crystals in electro-optic signal processing systems.
- Designed and fabricated adaptive and active optics systems, neural nets, optical interconnect systems and video systems.
- Responsible for concept, development, fabrication, and optimization of LCD, crystal and MEM based device prototypes.
General Electric, Research and Development, Schenectady, NY, Senior Product Engineer,1987 - 1990
- Key development engineer for Aircraft Instruments using the first amorphous-silicon, active matrix, liquid crystal, flat panel display for the pilot line, worldwide.
- Responsible for understanding and correcting failure of all LCD units and developing pilot line manufacturing processes to eliminate failures.
- Efforts included troubleshooting a number of problems affecting display optical performance in both the TFT and LC-assembly areas.
- Performed research and directed efforts in all areas of LCD's to improve overall device performance and manufacturability.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Senior Grade Member Society for Information Display (SID).
- Many leadership positions at SID.
- Steven's Institute of Technology - Business and Technology Program Committee.
- SUNY New Paltz - Liquid Crystal Technology short course.
- Optical Society of America.
- Society for Information Display.
- Liquid Crystal Institute, Kent State University.
- Liquid Crystal Institute Executive Committee (elected position).
- 17 U.S. patents issued.
- Ph.D. Degree, Chemistry, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH
- B.A. Degree, Chemistry, Houghton College, Houghton, NY