- Chemical Process Safety Analysis - qualitative and quantitative analysis: fault tree analysis, failure mode and effect analysis, HAZOP, "What if...?" and checklist methods; consequence analysis (all types of explosions and fires, and toxicity), acceptability criteria (F/N and FAFR); training.
- Explosion Hazards Analysis - explosives; bursting containers; BLEVE's; dust/air, vapor/air, and unconfined vapor cloud explosions; explosion venting; blast effects; barricade design and evaluation; inerting; suppression; relief-valve and rupture-disk application and sizing, stability testing.
- Toxic Vapor Cloud Analysis - quantitative analysis; calculation of release size, vaporization rates; dispersion; toxicology assessment; mitigating factors (evacuation, escape, havens, and medical treatment); prevention; intervention; counter-measures; protection; and acceptability criteria; computer programs (TRACE, WHAZAN, CHEMS-PLUS, Lotus, etc.).
- Safety Assessments - Compliance with OSHA (1910.119), Clean Air Act (40 CFR 68), API (RP 750), CMA (PSM Code); work practices and performance prediction; emergency preparedness; safety-management audits; "OSHA" - type audits; incident investigations.
- Fire Protection - Testing of fire pumps, fire mains, sprinkler and deluge systems; fire- brigade drills; layout of sprinkler and fire main systems; evaluation of conformance with Fire Codes and loss potentials.
- Electrical Hazards Analysis - static electricity; electrical classification; electric-shock hazards.
- Risk Assessment - Probability assessment of risks involved in processes and proposing remedies.
Independent Consultant, Chemical Process Safety Consulting, 1973 - Present
For various clients executing specific positions and expertise for the following:
- Instrument Engineer, Process Control Systems
- Explosion Hazards Engineer Tests,Instrumentation
- Electrical Engineer, Static Electricity; Explosives
- Process Engineer, Pilot Plant Supervision
- Research Engineer, Applications of Ultrasonics
- Safety Survey Engineer, Chemical Plant Safety Audits
- Safety Consultant, Safety and Fire Protection
- Process Safety Consultant, Hazards and Risk Evaluations
Center for Chemical Process Safety - (AIChE), 1986 - 1985
- Staff Member
E.I.DuPont De Nemours & Co.,1985 - 1994
- Safety and Environmental Management Services
Engineering to Consultant, 1955 -1985
- Serving and Advising in Various Departments: Explosives, Organic Chemicals, Safety and Fire Protection, And Engineering.
U.S. ARMY, Expert, 1983 - 1986
Expert Panel-SAIC and MITRETEK Activities
- For the National Research Council proposed program for destruction of nerve gases by the U.S. Army requested a quantitative risk assessment (QRA) be conducted on the proposed operations, with peer review by an independent organization.
- Served as Mitretek's expert, that was contracted by the U.S. Army under an "Expert Panel" to oversee the QRA, which SAIC was contracted to perform.
Tooele, UT Project, 1984 - 1996
- One of the five members selected for the Tooele (Utah) Panel, and was again selected (with one other member of the original Panel) to oversee the on-going QRAs of the Anniston (Alabama) and Umatilla (Oregon) nerve-gas destruction plants.
- Activities involved visits to the plant sites, two day QRA-update meetings about four times per year, and occasional telephone conferences, with chairmanship of the meetings revolving among the Panel members.
Military Service, 1952 - 1954
- U. S. Air Force, Air Rescue Service Radio & Radar
Honors & Publications
- Nuclear Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Biomedical Engineering, Drexel Institute of Technology
- Business Law, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA
- Chemical Engineering, University of Delaware, Newark, DE
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers
- Safety and Health Division
- National Fire Protection Association
Publications and Patents
- Author of Domestic and international presentations, seminars and professional papers-Topics:
- 'Improved F/N Graph Presentation and Criteria'
- 'Loss Prevention in the Process Industries
- 'Quantitative HAZOP Analysis'
- 'Guidelines for Vapor Cloud Mitigation'
- 'Quantitative Risk Analysis'
- 'An Overview of Mitigation Techniques', in 'Toxic Release Assessment & Control'
- Loss Prevention - 'Practical Application of Fault Tree Analysis' and 'Safety and Accident Prevention in Chemical Operations'
- U.S. Patent - Electrical appliance and receptacle tester
- M.S. Chemical Engineering, Stevens Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA
- B.S. General Science, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA