- 35 years of experience in research and development of electrochemical energy storage systems.
- Battery expertise for aqueous primary (i.e., non-rechargeable) battery systems, including carbon-zinc, alkaline-manganese, zinc-air, zinc-oxygen and magnesium-manganese dioxide type of batteries.
- Valve-regulated lead-acid secondary (i.e., rechargeable) battery technology.
- Experienced with other battery systems including nickel-cadmium, nickel-zinc, nickel-hydrogen, zinc-bromine, zinc-chlorine and molten salt lithium-iron disulfide battery cells.
- Contributions have included new battery product development, battery product and battery process improvements, methods development and personnel training and development.
- Experience includes technical support to battery users, battery sales and marketing support and manufacturing plant operations and quality control.
- Expert witness on battery issues related to the use and intellectual property.
- Battery expertise: All forms of Zn-MnO2 batteries, Zn-Air/O2 batteries, Valve-Regulated Lead-Acid batteries, Ni-Cd, Ni-Zn, Ni-H, Sn-Br, Zn-C12, Li-SO and Li-FeS and FeS2 (molten salt versions).
Management, Principal Scientist, Research and Engineering with responsibilities that include:
- Battery technology and battery development.
- Technical oversight of research and engineering staff and related battery projects.
- Liaison with national laboratories and overseas research institutes focused on the strategic impact assessments of battery energy technologies.
Employment experience with the following companies:
- The Gates Corporation
- Gates Energy Products
- GNB Technologies, Exide
- PowerGenix Systems Inc
- Designed and built 7.5 lb, 1.5 KWh, Zn-O2 cell as part of a Navy development contract.
- Redesigned a carbon-zinc battery resulting in a $40 million order.
- Redesigned heavy duty carbon zinc cell resulting in a cost savings of $25 thousand a day.
- Identified flaws in Mg-MnO2 production equipment resulting in zero defects for the next 3 years.
- Developed a mold coating for use on motive power strap molds.
- Developed a coulometric titration method for PbO2 quantitative analysis rate up to 50 samples/shift.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- The Electrochemical Society
- International Society of Electrochemistry
- American Academy of Sciences
- Supplemental engineering courses at Illinois Institute of Technology.
- Additional Study: Electrochemistry, statistics, Taguchi Design-Of-Experiments and Kepner-Tregoe problem analysis methods.
- B.S. Chemistry - St. John's University, Collegeville, MN