Maritime Consultant and Expert Witness: Master Licensed Pilot, Oil Tanker and Port Operations and Maritime Regulations and Safety Consulting
Technical Consultant #1596
- Expert witness to Admiralty-Maritime Industry: Federal and State court, judicial arbitration and mediation services.
- Represented both Plaintiff and Defense in over 900 cases, including 52 trials, (Blue/Brown water, Jet Skis/Super Tankers/Pleasure Crafts, Tugs & Barges).
- Consultant to the United States Coast Guard.
- President and founder of maritime consulting company, designed to market the safety expertise learned as a captain for Exxon Shipping Company, U.S.A.
- Outstanding tanker safety operational record both at Exxon and as a Los Angeles Harbor Pilot.
- Written and/or consulted on Safety and procedural manuals for numerous shipping companies.
- Retained in over 2,000 blue/brown water cases across the nation from jet skis, to pleasure crafts, to super tankers.
- Testified in over 68 Trials.
Independent Consultant, 1991 - Present
Los Angeles Harbor Pilot, 1988 - 1991
- Safely piloted oceangoing vessels of any size and tonnage upon the waters of the Port of Los Angeles, to and from their berths and anchorages in accordance with local and national laws.
- Authorized to act as Chief Pilot during the latter's absence.
Exxon Shipping Company, U.S.A, 1975 - 1988
Sailing as Master Licensed, 1984 - 1988
- Exxon Galveston, Exxon New Orleans, Exxon San Francisco, Exxon North Slope, Exxon Philadelphia, Exxon Houston.
Chief Mate Licensed, 1979 - 1984
- Exxon Galveston, Exxon New Orleans, Exxon Baton Rouge, Exxon Houston, Exxon Philadelphia, Exxon Benicia.
Second Mate Licensed, 1977 - 1979
- Exxon Galveston, Exxon Newark, Exxon New Orleans, Exxon Washington, Exxon Philadelphia, Exxon Baton Rouge.
Third Mate Licensed, 1975 - 1977
- Exxon Newark, Exxon Houston, Exxon Philadelphia, Exxon Boston, Exxon Baton Rouge, Exxon Washington.
- Supervised shipyard operations on these vessels.
- Cited for testifying on the International Safety Management (ISM) Code during the Maritime Torts Committee Meeting of the Maritime Law Association's (MLA) Continuing Legal Education seminar.
- Testified in court during successful litigation of ergonomic issues on an uninspected fishing vessel.
- Consultant and Expert Witness to Florida Board of Pilot Commissioners for administrative law hearing and pilot examination.
- Consultant to State of Florida Attorney General.
- Testified on safety issues for the Board of Maritime Pilots of the State of Oregon (Columbia River Bar/River Pilots).
- Featured speaker on International Safety Management (ISM) Code.
- Law Section, Association of Trial Lawyers of America (ATLA) Conventions.
- Represented U.S. Coast Guard during administrative hearing regarding largest oil spill in Boston Harbor history.
- Advised non-profit environmental organization, Blue Water Foundation during successful effort to force four major cruise lines to comply with California's ballast water laws.
- Received letter of appreciation from R.E. Kramek, Admiral, U.S. Coast Guard Commandant for dedicated service on the Navigation Safety Advisory Council (NAVSAC) to ensure the safety of U.S. waterways.
- Updated ARCO Marine, Inc. Oil Spill Prevention Plan for the State of Washington.
- Appointed by the Secretary of the U.S. Department of Transportation to serve on the Navigation Safety Advisory Council (NAVSAC) to counsel the Department of Transportation on matters relating to the prevention of collisions, allisions, and groundings.
- Consultant to the ARCO Marine, Inc. task force to evaluate 33 CFR Part 157, "Structural and Operational Measures to Reduce Oil Spills from Existing Tank Vessels Without Double Hulls; Proposed Rule making," and propose alternative operational oil spill prevention measures to the U.S. Coast Guard.
- Consulted to the Glosten Associates, Inc. regarding a maritime project involving an aerospace firm.
- Performed marine accident investigation for the Safety, Health, and Environmental Protection Department of ARCO Marine, Inc.
- Defined the scope of, and consulted on, a major study of human factors in shipping accidents and incidents with Battelle Human Affairs Research Center and Rennselaer Polytechnic Institute on behalf of the Regional Citizens' Advisory Committees for Prince William Sound and Cook Inlet, Alaska.
- Created a Safety and Health Manual based on the International Loss Control Institute model and the International Petrochemical Safety Rating System for West Coast Shipping Company, the shipping division of Unocal Corporation.
- Updated the 1982 National Academy of Sciences regional evaluations of marine salvage capability for Alaska, Hawaii, and Washington on behalf of ARCO.
- Provided outlines defining the scope and detail needed in bridge organization and deck operations manuals for the Washington State Office of Marine Safety as a benchmark for evaluating the policies of shipping transiting State waters.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Member, Navigation Safety Advisory Council, Council of American Master Mariners
- Marine Underwriters of Southern California
- Propeller Club of the United States
- National Safety Council, International Marina Institute
- Offshore Marine Service Association
- American Boating & Yacht Council
- National Fire Protection Association
- The Marine Society of the City of New York
- Unlimited Master Mariner's License
- Extensive Pilotage License
- Written safety and procedural manuals for numerous shipping companies.
- B.S. Nautical Science
- Unlimited Master Mariner's License.
- Texas Engineering Extension Service, College Station, TX: Completed marine fire fighting strategy and tactics course.
- Port Ravel, Grenoble, France: Completed courses in handling offshore storage and treatment vessels, general ship handling maneuvers including anchoring, docking, single point mooring, bank effect, shallow water effect, transiting narrow channels and canals,and special maneuvers.
- Leith Nautical College, New York, NY: Completed inter gas systems and crude oil wash courses.
- National Safety Council Occupational Safety and Health Services Unit, Job Safety Analysis and Preventing Slips and Falls.