Purchasing Executive and Consultant for Fine Chemicals, Inks, Polymers and Chemical Processing Operations
Technical Consultant #1590
- Senior purchasing executive in the chemical industry with a solid financial background and cost administration experience.
- Experience in logistics, manufacturing, supply chain optimization, global purchasing coordination and SAP implementation.
- Vendor negotiations and vendor reduction programs.
- Assisting small to mid-size manufacturing companies in reducing costs and improving purchasing and supply chain processes.
Independent Consultant, 2003 - Present
BASF Corporation, 1989 - 2003
Director of Purchasing, Coatings, Fine Chemicals, and Polymer Additives, 2000 - 2003
- Directed activities of a group that managed $650 million per year of raw material purchases supporting BASF's coatings, polystyrene, vitamins and agricultural chemicals businesses.
- Led the expansion and application of the Continuum Project, a program designed to remove cost from the supply chain, to four additional BASF businesses.
- Applied vendor reduction program and similar supply chain cost saving techniques to four other businesses with savings of over $8 million in two years.
- Integrated purchasing activities of acquisitions to maximize cost efficiencies; saving over $10 million.
- Participated on Leadership Team overseeing NAFTA wide re-engineering of the purchasing function, resulting in improved purchasing efficiency while reducing operating costs.
- Led NAFTA participation in expanding Global Sourcing initiatives within the BASF Group.
- Developed sourcing strategy and negotiated global supply agreements to create significant value.
Director of Purchasing, Coatings, Polymer Additives, and Custom Manufacturing, 1997 - 1999
- Directed activities of six, managed $350 million per year of raw material purchases including resins, plastics, rubber, chemicals, solvents, pigments and custom manufacturing.
- Designed, implemented and managed NAFTA-wide supply chain management program to support BASF's Coatings Business, resulting in $43 million cost savings over 6 years and became a prototype for a BASF-wide initiative.
- Coordinated purchasing opportunities with counterparts in Europe and Brazil to optimize BASF worldwide leverage.
Manager of Purchasing, Resins, Plastics, and Rubber, 1994 - 1996
- Team leader managing $100 million per year of raw material purchases.
- Represented Purchasing Department in customization of SAP purchasing modules.
- Certified by Rummler-Brache as facilitator for re-engineering process.
Purchasing Manager, Resins, Waxes, and Oils, 1992 - 1993
- Managed $75 million per year of raw material purchases.
- Negotiated several five-year supply agreements resulting in $8 million per year in cost savings.
Purchasing Consultant, 1989 - 1992
- Performed contract evaluations and produce/buy analyses.
Independent Consultant, 1987 - 1989
- Projects included plant cost accounting, financial reporting systems, inventory reduction and business planning.
M&T Chemicals, Inc. (now part of Atofina), 1974 - 1987
General Manager, Purchasing and Material Control, 1985 - 1987
- Total responsibility for corporate purchasing, materials management and automated order entry/invoicing; supervised staff of sixty.
- Negotiated key raw material long-term supply contract resulting in $1.5 million savings over 2 years.
- Managed internal truck fleet generating $250k in annual savings versus commercial carriers.
Director of Financial Analysis, 1982 - 1984
- Directed corporate financial analysis and cost accounting groups, administered corporate capital appropriations program, performed economic review of all spending requests, coordinated development and analysis of annual budgets and five year strategic plans, performed acquisition/divestiture studies and coordinated monthly and year-end closings.
- Negotiated two successful joint ventures with Japanese companies, one resulting in a $30 million capital investment in U.S. manufacturing.
- Developed and coordinated corporate inventory control program resulting in a 10% inventory reduction without effecting customer service levels.
Manufacturing Manager, 1980 - 1981
- Developed plant consolidation plan resulting in $600k annual cost savings.
- Developed 5 year strategic plans for manufacturing to support long-range business plans.
- Resolved scheduling conflicts in multi-product, multi-plant environment.
Financial Analyst, 1974 - 1979
- Various planning, budgeting and financial assignments.
ARCO Polymers, Inc., 1968 - 1974
- Project Manager: Design and construction of new process facilities for polyethylene and polystyrene.
- Process Engineer: Conducted process studies aimed at quality improvement and more efficient capacity utilization.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers
- Institute of Supply Management
- MBA University of Pittsburgh
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, Case Western Reserve University