Organometallic Catalyst Consultant: Propylene and Hydrocarbon Ammoxidation, Acetoxylation Catalysts and Acrylonitrile Production
Technical Consultant #1589
- Organometallic chemistry, particularly as applied to catalysts.
- Acetoxylation catalysis.
- Oxidation and ammoxidation of hydrocarbons.
- Acrylonitrile, HCN (hydrogen cyanide) and acetonitrile commercial production.
- Acrylic acid, acrolein and methacrylic acid manufacturing technology.
- ADN (adiponitrile), caprolactam and organic isocyanates production.
- Fluid bed reactor and catalyst technology.
- Conversion of methane to liquid hydrocarbons.
- Solid state chemistry, fuel cells, inorganic synthesis, MEA's (Membrane Electrode Assembly) and bipolar plates.
- Expert in plant support and for twenty years providing assistance to BP and worldwide licenses for the production of acrylonitrile and optimum reactor performance.
- Holds key patents in propylene ammoxidation, fluid bed vinyl acetate process and in the emerging area of catalytic conversion of alkanes to chemicals, and acrylonitrile production from propane feedstock.
- Vinyl acetate monomer manufacturing technology.
Independent Consultant, 2006 - Present
- For clients: Production of acrylonitrile (and its by-products), acrylic acid, adiponitrile, acetonitrile, hydrogen cyanide, caprolactam, organic isocyanates, bipolar plates for fuel cells, and carbon fibers.
BP Chemicals, Research Scientist, (6 different levels), 1977 - 2006
- Invented several fluid bed catalysts of commercial significance for propylene ammoxidation to acrylonitrile, resulting in millions of dollars of annual profits.
- Discovered, developed and commercialized catalyst for the production of HCN.
- Invented catalyst for the production of acetonitrile.
- Provided plan to support to BP's acrylonitrile reactors (as well as to all licenses around the world) for the optimum catalyst and reactor performance.
- Discovered novel catalyst for converting alkanes to chemicals.
- Contributed to the invention of the LEAP process, a most significant breakthrough in vinyl acetate monomer manufacturing technology.
- Invented a novel microspheroidal silica support used in the preparation of fluid bed vinyl acetate catalysts. This support has been used commercially.
- Developed catalysts for the production of acrylic and methacrylic acid.
- Proposed conductive composites for bipolar plates used in fuel cells.
- Proposed carbon nanotubes for preparation of MEAs used in fuel cells.
- Directed research for converting methane and/or natural gas into more readily transportable material.
- Designed, implemented and executed extremely cost effective bench and pilot plant scale experiments with an excellent safety track record.
- Supervised and directed research team compromised of chemists, engineers, co-ops and interns.
Honors & Publications
- Member of BP's Inventors' Hall of Fame
- BP Chemicals Innovation Award
- Outstanding Performance Award
Publications and Patents
- 53 U.S. patents and numerous foreign patents.
- Key patents in propylene ammoxidation; fluid bed vinyl acetate process; and in the emerging area of catalytic conversion of alkanes to chemical feedstocks.
- Ph.D. Chemistry, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH
- M.S. Chemistry, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH