Industrial Microbiology Consultant: Microbial Fermentation, Microbial Physiology and Protein Production
Technical Consultant #1580
- Microbial physiology and biochemistry.
- Microbial fermentation development for natural products, anti-infectives, whole-cell biocatalysis and heterologously expressed proteins.
- Development of high-throughput microbial screening platform.
- Cell culture for producing therapeutic proteins by transient transfection.
- Diverse bioprocess development in microbial strain improvement using classical techniques and automated screening.
Undisclosed Company, Owner/President, 2008 - Present
- Industrial microbiology, fermentation and biotechnology consulting.
- Therapeutic protein laboratory production.
- Business and product development from the end-user point of view.
- Subject matter expert on microbial technology for document review and due diligence.
Merck Research Labs, Bioprocess Research and Development, Rahway, NJ, Senior Investigator, 1991 - 2008
- Established and led a small scale protein production team which provided 10 - 100 mg of preclinical therapeutic proteins for evaluation.
- Utilized transient transfection, hybridoma cultivation, and Pichia pastoris expression systems.
- Led microbial fermentation and strain improvement efforts for a variety of anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, statins, ion-channel inhibitors, and immunoregulant natural products produced by actinomycetes and filamentous fungi.
- Led development of the Glarea lozoyensis fermentation process for producing "Cancidas" caspofungin acetate, first in class systemic anti-fungal.
- Established a robust, high-throughput (1000 - 2000) microbial screening platform using 24 deep well plates, commercially available liquid handing equipment (TECAN), bioassays where applicable, and high-throughput HPLC.
- Whole-cell biocatalysis for the production of chiral intermediates.
- Pseudomonas putida dioxygenase bioconversion process converting indene to the corresponding chiral diol, an intermediate in "Crixivan" indinavir sulfate.
- Oversaw outsourcing of R&D activities to US and emerging market vendors.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Editorial Board, Journal of Industrial Microbiology and Biotechnology
- Editorial Board, Enzyme and Microbial Technology
- Board of Directors, Society for Industrial Microbiology
- Program Chair, Society for Industrial Microbiology Annual Meeting and Exhibition
- Program Chair, Recent Advances in Fermentation Technology (RAFT V)
- Contributing author on numerous peer-reviewed papers and book chapters.
- Conference abstracts.
- 3 U.S. Patents.
- Ph.D. Microbiology, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
- B.S. Biology (Chemistry Minor), Norwich University, Northfield, VT