Automotive Electronics Systems Consultant and Expert Witness
Technical Consultant #1578
- Automotive electronics systems development of over 40 years.
- Engineering of complex automotive systems, such as: "OnStar" telematics systems, navigation systems, satellite audio and data systems, forward looking active safety systems, automobile night vision and electric vehicle components.
- Advanced mobile multi media automotive systems.
- Supply and demand for electronic components for auto system in the Asia Pacific region.
- Successful consulting in automotive electronics enabling clients to win substantial business for multiple vehicle manufacturers.
- Display technology for automotive applications and integrated circuits for automotive applications.
- Navigation and real time traffic automotive applications, telematics and TSPs (call centers).
- Design, manufacturing and distribution of automotive components, component and sub-system development.
- Electronics, displays, and touch, appearance and lighting.
- Electric vehicle components and systems.
- HMI (Human Machine Interface issues for automotive electronics, displays and touch, appearance, lighting (TAL) devices.
- International experience in dealing with vehicle manufacturers and suppliers in Japan, China, Korea, Australia, India, Germany, North America and Europe.
- Mentoring entrepreneurial privately held start-ups with unique technology.
- Providing legal advice and expert witness testimony for automotive electronics systems.
- Leading and driving technically rooted companies with strategy and supporting tactics leading to focus in winning new business and/or investing in critical new technology.
- Creating technology development organizations from scratch and leading them to success and stability.
Expert Witness Experience
- Expert witness reports for invalidity, non-infringement, and obviousness
- Assisting in Claim Construction and Markman hearings
- Skilled in reviewing and searching for appropriate prior art
- Participated in writing and reviewing Expert Witness reports
- Aided in creation of IPR documentation (Declarations and Petitions)
- Instrument Clusters
- Automotive primary and secondary displays
- Center stack displays and subassemblies
- Human factor design and guidelines
- Automotive user interfaces
- Automotive sensors and transducers
- Vehicle telematics
- Infotainment systems
- GPS systems
- On-board and off-board diagnostics and prognostics
- Complex safety systems
- Automotive cameras and multi-camera vision systems
Undisclosed Company, President and Founder, 2001 - Present
- Started company to support automotive suppliers doing business in North America with clients based in Europe, USA, Canada, Japan and China.
- Focused on complex electronic systems including "OnStar" type telematics systems, active safety systems, electric vehicle charging electronics and international business strategies.
- Served as expert witness for numerous legal cases involving automotive electronics.
- Experienced as advisor and consultant for dozens of private equity and venture capital groups searching for analysis and investment opportunities world wide.
Delphi Delco Electronics Corporation, Mobile Multi Media Products, Product Line Manager, Kokomo, IN, 1997 - 2001
- Responsible for all deliverables, from technology planning through sales, and product strategies and to ensure on-time delivery of products within budget.
- Won $2.2 billion revenue of new business over 18 months, across three major product lines, and five separate vehicle manufacturers. Customers were headquartered in Japan, Europe and North America.
- Typical programs are on a commercial cycle time of 6 to 15 months, spec to SOP with automotive high quality.
Vice President of Engineering, Delco, Singapore, 1994 - 1997
- Responsible for all engineering design and deliverables for all Asia/Pacific customers worldwide.
- Business grew by 30% to 40% per year with revenue at $250 million in 1996, across six product lines, eight customers and OEM facilities in six countries.
- Responsible for application engineering and design centers in Asia/Pacific region.
- Initiated, grew and supported new engineering facilities in Bangalore, India and Shanghai.
Advanced Development/Systems Integration, Director, Kokomo, IN, 1989 - 1994
- Responsible for all product development for $5 billion electronics business, in seven departments, covering integrated circuit fabrication through automotive safety systems.
- Created and lead area since its inception in 1989.
- Budget in 1994 was over $50 million with 450 people world wide.
- Developed new products now in production: Forward looking radar, solid state YAW sensors, advanced airbag system electronics, head up displays, RDS audio for North America, IR-based night vision, electric vehicle power electronics and telematics.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Cornell University Council.
- Part time lecturer in the Department of Material Science at Cornell University.
- Advisory Board, Indiana Economic Development Corporation.
- Board of Advisors, Active Safety Institute Consortium.
- Accredited Member of Ceramic Engineering Education for the Accreditation Board of Engineering and Technology.
- Member, Industrial Advisory Board, Department of Electrical Engineering, Northwestern University.
- Vincent Bendix Automotive Electronics Engineering Award for Outstanding Society of Automotive Engineers Paper.
- Arch T. Colwell Merit Award for Outstanding Society of Automotive Engineers Technical Presentation.
- "Boss" Kettering Technical Award (internal GM)
- Elected Fellow, American Ceramic Society
- Delphi Innovation Hall of Fame
- Executive Management Program-University of Illinois
Publications and Patents
- Numerous papers, invited presentations and keynote speeches.
- Three US patents.
- Ph.D. Ceramic Engineering/Material Science, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ
- MBA Strategy and Operations, University of Michigan, Flint, MI
- B.S. Electrical Engineering, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY