Chromatography and Spectroscopy for Pharmaceutical, Medical Devices and Medical Packaging
Technical Consultant #1577
- Controlled environmental agriculture – growing plants using aeroponic vertical columns.
- Determination of plant extracts (vitamins) using HPLC.
- Analytical chemistry problem solving - chromatography, spectroscopy, wet chemistry.
- Analytical methods development - chromatography: HPLC, GC, GC/MS, LC/MS, GPC, SFC, SEC, and IC.
- Ancillary analytical techniques: ICP, FTIR, TGA, NMR, AA, SEM, and XRF.
- Analytical testing: Pharmaceuticals, polymer extractables and environmental contaminants.
- Extractable and leachables from elastomer/polymer components of drug vial stoppers, IV set injection ports, IV bag ports, and baby bottle nipples.
- Medical device elastomeric component product development and manufacturing.
- Drug packaging: Parenteral drugs, vial closures, IV sets and bags.
- Medical components manufacturing.
- Process analytical chemistry using fiber optics, NIR, chemometrics and flow injection analysis.
- Medical diagnostic blood testing focused on malaria.
- International experience: Fulbright Scholar Ukraine, US Army German linguist in Berlin.
- Training: Corporate Pharma Elastomer, Chemistry Instructor -University of Akron and Kent State University.
B.L.L.C., Research Scientist, 2020 - Present
- Conducted research on new aeroponic and hydroponic growing systems.
- Conducted research in controlled environment agriculture in a shipping container.
Undisclosed University, Professor of Chemistry, 2018 - Present
- Instructor; Chemical Research Methods in Aeroponics.
- Author of new curriculum and Instructor of the new course, ‘Introduction to Aeroponics.’
Aero Development Inc., Malvern, PA, Research and Development Director, 2018 - 2020
- Conducted research and development projects related to aeroponic vertical farming.
Uganda Christian University, Mokono, Uganda, Fulbright Specialist, 2014 - 2019
- Course Instructor at Makekere on HPLC analysis of vitamins in butter.
- Organized a student team to build a greenhouse to grow tomatoes using irrigation.
- Taught students how to grow tomatoes using aeroponic tower technology.
- Assisted in writing a curriculum for teaching chemistry in East Africa.
- Assisted students applying for internships in the U.S.
Fulbright Scholar, 2012 - 2013
- Taught labs for food and biochemistry to Agricultural Science majors.
- Taught intro chemistry course to Nursing students.
- Founded a student-run soil analysis lab for Ugandan farmers.
MWL, Technical Consultant, 2006 - Present
- Consulting in the area of analytical science related to polymers and pharmaceutical applications.
- Taught Introductory Chemistry at several universities.
- Conducted Pharma Elastomer University seminar for two pharmaceutical companies as part of a consulting contract.
- Awarded Phase I SBIR grant by the U.S. Army to develop a method to diagnose malaria.
Institute of Single Crystals, Kharkiv, Ukraine, Fulbright Senior Research Scholar, 2007
- Conducted research on hydrogen bonding using microwave energy to acetylate several model iminocoumarines, molecules are known to have biological activity.
- HPLC and NMR were used to analyze the reaction products.
- Worked at the Institute of Single Crystals, Kharkiv, Ukraine, which is a post-Soviet government laboratory established in 1955.
Abbott Laboratories - Hospira Inc., Ashland, OH, 1992 - 2006
Technical Director, 2004 - 2006
- Directed five groups - Rubber, Plastic, Latex, Process Engineering, and Tool Engineering.
- Provide overall direction for the research and development activities at the plant.
- Responsible for developing new polymeric materials, products, processes, and supporting existing manufacturing processes.
Manager Rubber Technology , 1993 - 1995
- Managed chemists and technicians including the analytical lab.
- Responsible for development of new pharmaceutical /health care rubber products, primarily elastomeric closures, stoppers, reseals, baby bottle nipples, sponge, golf ball centers and hot water bottles.
- Managed the implementation of several conversion programs from natural rubber based compounds to all synthetic polyisoprene compounds for baby bottle nipples and IV elastomeric components.
- Presented seminar on isoprene polymers synthetic vs. natural.
- Managed the implementation of rubber injection molding technology for the production of pharmaceutical stoppers, syringe plungers, and IV components, sleeves, flashbacks, and septa.
- Coordinated drug closure programs for several generic drug programs at Corporate Research and Development.
- Developed program to extrude and cure polyisoprene compound into tubing for use in irrigation surgical sets.
- Upgraded the analytical lab with the purchase of a HPLC (DAD) with heart-cutting capabilities into a GC/MSD for characterization of rubber stopper impurities.
- Managed the development of a streamlined GC-TEA method for the determination of nitrosamines in baby bottle nipples.
Senior Analytical Chemist, (QA department) , 1992- 1993
- Managed technicians and provided analytical support for the production of rubber and plastic medical and consumer products.
- Conducted audits in the research and development department.
- Supported corporate QA audit of the manufacturing plant.
- Developed new analytical testing instrumentation using fiber optics technology for QA release test for an acrylic clear multicuvette for clinical chemistry.
ICI Americas, Wilmington, DE, Group Leader, Separation Science, 1991-1992
- Responsible for analytical support for several businesses within the Separation Science Division.
- Managed 2 professionals and 6 technicians.
Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. , Akron, OH, Section Head, Methods Development, 1982-1991
- Managed a professional team of Ph.D.s and technicians.
- Responsible for developing analytical methods using GC, HPLC, GC/MS, GPC, IC, NMR, IR, NIR, UV, AA, pyrolysis MS, fiber optic UV/NIR, flow injection analysis (FIA) and wet chemistry.
- Initiated company sponsorship of the Center for Process Analytical Chemistry (CPAC) at the University of Washington, Seattle.
- Represented the company on the CPAC (Corrosion Prevention and Control) advisory board.
- Developed programs and expertise in process analytical techniques - fiber optic remote spectroscopy, near infrared reflectance, chemometrics, FIA, process GC, and pulsed NMR.
Senior Research Chemist, 1976 - 1982
- Developed over 30 new analytical methods for organic chemicals and polymers used in the rubber and chemical industry, trace analysis, air pollutants, wastewater, and FDA-required analyses of extractables in polyester beverage containers.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Chemical Society
- Fulbright Senior Research Scholar (Ukraine); Fulbright Scholar (Uganda)
- U.S. Army in Germany
- German Linguist
- English-Parental Language
- Published two books.
- Authored many journal articles and given numerous presentations.
- Ph.D. Degree, Chemistry, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH
- B.A. Degree, Chemistry, Houghton College, Houghton, NY