Chemical Process Engineer Consultant: Polymers, Refinery Operations, Chemical and Biochemical Products
Technical Consultant #1493
- Chemical engineering consulting for 38 years with extensive global experience in the process industries, primarily related to polymers, refinery operations, chemical and biochemical products.
- Supervising start up and commissioning of new chemical plants.
- Lead chemical engineer of many projects, with responsibility for all aspects of planning, process design and supervision of other engineers.
- Process engineer on a nuclear waste disposal project in the United Kingdom.
- Experienced in fast track front-end process engineering.
- Pharmaceutical plant process design.
- Experienced with biofuels industry projects and the chemical engineering of green chemistry, including corn processing.
- Safety audits of batch chemical processes.
Recent Consulting Projects
- Nuclear projects for Costain Engineering in the United Kingdom.
- Process study on corn processing facilities around the world.
- Lead process/mechanical engineer for a new process to produce biodiesel from waste grease.
- Lead process/mechanical engineer for a new diagnostic product; production process replicated a similar plant in Scotland, United Kingdom.
- Lead process Engineer for a flare gas recovery project at the Eagle Point, N.J., Sunoco Refinery.
- Project lead for a air emissions study and oxidizer evaluation on a batch specialty chemicals plant at a pharmaceutical company in Grand Bahama.
- Process/mechanical lead for project to relocate and upgrade two cosmetic production plants.
BI Chemicals, Petersburg, VA
- Supervising commissioning engineer for a specialty chemicals plant.
- Worked with a variety of process equipment including reactors, heat exchangers, dryers, centrifuges, scrubbers, fans and pumps.
Rohm & Haas, Bristol, PA
- Chemical engineering projects included printer ink manufacture, polymers, dyes and general chemicals.
- Lead engineer for the upgrade and retrofit of a plant manufacturing magnesium oxide and magnesium hydroxide.
Roche Pharmaceuticals, Boulder, CO
- Lead engineer for a project requiring the retrofitting of a new bulk drug process into an existing operating plant.
- Project was a site-based assignment involving the re-use of certain existing vessels, and columns, the installation of new equipment and routing of new pipework within a constrained space.
Texasgulf, Aurora, NC
- Conducted an internal audit for OSHA 1910 compliance at a large fertilizer manufacturing facility.
PFC Bahamas, Freeport, Grand Bahama
- Responsible for air emissions assessment and control, together with off-sites and utilities for bulk pharmaceutical facility in Bahamas.
- Plant-wide upgrade to change product that involved redesign of existing reactors and other equipment, and the addition of new filter/dryers in a new building.
- Analysis of the new batch sheets with new raw materials, that included studies of tank farm operations and of batch and continuous solvent recovery operations.
Syntex, Mexico and Ireland
- Process design of a pharmaceutical plant in Mexico involving upgrades to several operating areas of the plant, including chilled water, brine, and waste management.
- Lead process/mechanical engineer for a site-based team at a large bulk chemical manufacturing facility in Ireland. Established a multi discipline team; completed and commissioned a number of upgrade and expansion projects; responsible for air emissions modeling, and evaluation of control options; and, lead process/mechanical engineer for a project to upgrade the wastewater plant.
Shell Oil Company, Lakeland, FL
- Responsible for system by system safety study at a batch organic chemicals plant.
- Recommended several plant modifications to bring the plant in line with OSHA regulations and good safety practice.
British Nuclear Fuels, Sellafield, United Kingdom
- Supervising process engineer on a major multi-million nuclear waste disposal project.
- Designer of active ventilation systems; author of commissioning procedures for the project.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Fellow, Institution of Chemical Engineers, United Kingdom
- Senior Member, American Institute of Chemical Engineers
- Chartered Engineer, United Kingdom; Chartered Scientist; Chartered Environmentalist
- Member of the American Chemical Society
- Process Intensification Network in the U.K.
- B.S.c., Chemical Engineering, University of Manchester, United Kingdom