- Eight (8) years of experience in biotherapeutic drug discovery and development with a focus on neurobiology, hemostasis, thrombosis and autoimmune diseases.
- Drug discovery research for hemophilia and in critical bleeding indications.
- Development of therapeutics for spinal cord injury, multiple sclerosis and other central nervous system disorders.
- Experienced with molecular and cellular pharmacology, cell-based assays with central nervous system (CNS) and immune cell types, immunohistochemistry and thrombosis pathology, animal models.
Undisclosed Company, Manager, Molecular Pharmacology, 2007 - Present
- Focus on drug discovery research for hemophilia and in critical bleeding disorders: Leader of tissue biology section.
- Managed and supervised histology and cell biological studies.
- Managed research contracts with academic collaborators testing neuroprotective compound for stroke and traumatic brain injury.
Staff Scientist, 2005 - 2006
- Managed preclinical discovery project.
- Performed in vitro testing of neuroprotective compounds.
- Coordinated animal testing with external collaborators.
Acorda Therapeutics, Scientist, Hawthorne, NY, 1999 - 2005
- Start-up biotech company specializing in the development of therapeutics for spinal cord injury, multiple sclerosis and other central nervous system disorders.
- Led multidisciplinary teams conducting animal models for multiple sclerosis and spinal cord injury, pharmacological testing, biological assays and analytical characterization.
- Worked with consultants and CROs in defining toxicology studies for FDA approval of therapeutic.
- Coordinated research with academic and corporate collaborators.
- Interacted with patent attorneys for due diligence analysis.
- Supported drug discovery and development efforts by designing and implementing numerous functional assays.
- Established cell-based assays for pre-clinical testing of drug candidates.
- Designed and implemented tests for anti-inflammatory compound, including cytokine analysis.
- Prepared technical reports and SOPs for pre-clinical projects.
The Rockefeller University, Research Associate, 1993 - 1998
- Contributed to the understanding of basic principles underlying cellular specification in the developing mouse cerebellum.
- Characterized the functional consequences of a mutant K channel in mouse cerebellar granule cells.
- Conducted primary neuronal and non-neuronal cell culture.
- Applied the technique of SAGE (Serial Analysis of Gene Expression) to analyze cerebellar gene expression during development.
- Used a variety of molecular techniques including DNA cloning, DNA purification, PCR , Sequence analysis using BLAST.
Yale University, Postdoctoral Associate, 1991 - 1993
- Studied developmental synaptic plasticity in the rodent CNS.
- Analyzed the regulation of glutamate receptor genes during the development of the rat visual system.
- Conducted DNA cloning, DNA purification, Northern blot analysis, RT-PCR, in situ hybridization.
- Performed primary neuronal cultures.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- EMBO Long-Term Postdoctoral Fellowship
- Authored many publications.
- Ph.D., Neurobiology, Max-Planck Institute for Psychiatry, Munich, Germany
- B.S., Biology, Technical University, Munich, Germany