- Plastic market analysis, including thermoplastic olefins, elastomers and vulcanizates products.
- Plastic market analysis, including plastic pipe and conduit products, markets and technology.
- Plastic products business development, including markets, competitive analysis and acquisitions.
- Plastic product development including HDPE, PP, PVC, CPVC, PEX, filled and reinforced compounds.
- Plastic product standards development and revisions, including ASTM (American Society for Testing and Materials).
- Market penetration strategies of the polyolefin film industry and opportunity for a new film material.
- Plastics processing forming technology, including extrusion, thermoforming and injection molding.
- Expert witness - forensics, evaluation of plastic failures; patent litigation and commercial litigation, related to plastic applications and uses.
President and Independent Consultant, 1996 - Present
- Providing technical and business consulting services for the chemicals and plastics industries for business development projects including strategic planning, market penetration analysis, market research, competitor analysis, product introductions, investment analysis, acquisition analysis.
- Assistance to entrepreneurial start-ups, as well as research and development consulting and expert witness.
- Technical consulting in plastic materials, compounding, failure analysis and stabilization.
- Analyzed the North American industries: High-density polyethylene and polypropylene; polyethylene film and film additives industry; compounding industry.
- Conducted a market analysis of the polyolefin industry and analyzed additive demand.
- Conducted a review of the U.S. engineering thermoplastics industry.
- Conducted a market penetration analysis for a new Metallocene polypropylene.
- Analyzed the North American markets: Thermoplastic olefins, elastomers, and vulcanizates; plastic pipe industry and projected growth; drainage piping and sanitary sewer; trenchless technology and high-temperature piping; electrical and telecommunications conduit.
- Analyzed sanitary sewer pipe market and evaluated competitive threats.
- Analyzed the polyolefin film industry and developed market penetration strategies for a new film material.
- Analyzed the plastic pipe industry and developed market penetration strategies for a new piping material.
- Analyzed the telecom industry, identifying critical drivers and projected demand for plastic conduit.
- Developed a long-term growth strategy for a thermoplastic pipe manufacturer.
- Surveyed and compared polyethylene pipe compounds for a gas utility for a $30 million contract.
- Conducted an assessment of new technologies for the trenchless pipe rehabilitation market.
- Identified and analyzed thermoplastic pipe fittings producers for possible acquisition.
- Identified and analyzed for possible acquisition: Thermoplastic elastomer producers; polyethylene plastic pipe producers; rigid container manufacturers.
- Conducted a market analysis for a new additive for modification of the surface properties of plastics.
- Conducted a strategic analysis of business development options for an engineering plastics producer.
- Consulted on the degradation and stabilization of plastic products.
- Consulted on the stabilization of plastic piping for hot water applications.
- Prepared design and plant layouts for PVC and HDPE pipe manufacturing plants for overseas clients.
- Developed new ASTM standards, (and/or revised existing standards) for new sewer pipe rehabilitation products; reinforced composite piping products; new drainage piping products.
- Provided expert consulting for plastics failure cases and civil litigation.
- Provided expert opinions for patent infringement litigation.
Plastics Pipe Institute, Executive Director, 1993 - 1996
- Managed the operations of a trade association representing the North American plastic pipe industry.
- Spokesperson for the industry and managed relations with federal and state regulatory agencies, national and international standards organizations, regional and national code bodies and independent certifying organizations.
Solvay Polymers Inc., 1980 - 1993
Business Development Specialist (Small Business Unit Manager) - Engineered Compounds Group
- Responsible for the development, including profit and loss, of a small business unit consisting of four engineering plastics product lines.
- Identified and developed new applications with potential sales of more than $12 million in 12 months.
- Developed marketing programs, publicity, advertising, press releases and technical literature.
- Managed participation in industrial trade shows and direct mail marketing programs.
Group Leader for Polypropylene Extrusion Applications - Product Development
- Product development and technical services for film, fiber, sheet extrusion and thermoforming and specialty applications.
- Developed and commercialized over fifteen new resins from 1987 - 1990.
- Sales of polypropylene for film and extrusion applications grew by 12 times.
- Discovered a potential patent infringement issue and reformulated all standard rheology fiber resins. In 1992, sales of these reformulated products were over 50 million lb. ($20 million).
Group Leader for Polyethylene Extrusion and Injection Molding - Product Development Dept.
- Managed a team for product development and technical services for polyethylene pipe, sheet, thermoforming, injection molding, rotomolding and geomembranes.
- Developed and commercialized over twenty new polyethylene resins from 1984 - 1987.
- Sales of all extrusion compounds grew by 5 times in 6 years, exceeding 225 million lbs.
Other positions held during tenure at Solvay Polymers:
- Research Chemist - Polyethylene Pipe and Sheet Applications - Product Development Dept.
- Research Chemist - Polypropylene Research and Development Department.
- Chemist - Polypropylene Research and Development Department.
Honors & Publications
- 2007 - The Award of Merit from the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM)
- 2007 - Fellow of the American Society for Testing and Materials
- 2003 - Honored Service Member Award from the Society of Plastics Engineers
Academic and Professional Affilations
- Member of the American Chemical Society (1971-present)
- Member of the American Society of Testing and Materials (1984-present)
- Member of the Pipeline Rehabilitation Council (1998-2006)
Ph.D.,Chemistry, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
B.S., Chemistry, Boston College