Pigment Consultant and Expert Witness
Technical Consultant #1465
- Expert in effect pigments, pearlescent pigments and organic pigments.
- Testified as an expert witness on pearlescent pigments. Holds 6 U.S. patents and numerous international patents.
- Invented a new class of effect pigments.
- Experience in leading global research and development organizations related to pigment materials, analytical services, technical service, product scale up and manufacturing support.
- Skilled at aligning product development with market needs and manufacturing capabilities, assessing, developing new technologies, managing intellectual property, completing strategic alliances and acquisitions.
- Strong management skills related to integration of new acquisitions into existing organizations.
Independent Consultant, 2008 - Present
Mearl Corporation/Englehard Corporation/BASF, 1976 - 2008
- Technical Director, Effect Materials
- Technical Director, Effect Pigments
- Director of Research and Development, Pearlescent Pigments
- Assistant Director of Research, Pearlescent Pigments
- Research Group Leader, Pearlescent Pigments
- Research Chemist, Pearlescent Pigments
Harmon Colors/Mobay Corporation/Bayer A.G., 1976 - 1984
- Research Group Leader, Organic Pigments
- Research Scientist, Organic Pigments, Leverkusen, Germany
- Research Chemist, Organic Pigments
Professional Skills and Accomplishments
- Leader of a global technical organization with laboratories in the U.S., Europe and the Asia-Pacific, accountable for the research and development of new products, the process optimization and scale-up of new and existing products, analytical services, application testing and technical service.
- Technology contributor and manager of pigment development including pearlescent pigments and effect materials.
- Championed the use of cross - functional teams and a stage gate process for managing projects.
- Established new laboratory facilities and staffing in Korea and China.
Business Management and Strategic
- Leader of a team for a business with annual revenues of $700 million.
- Continuously interacted with all of the functional leaders to insure business growth and profitability.
- Promoted the use of strategic alliances with universities and corporate partners to broaden the technology base for the business.
- Established and managed alliances with universities and industrial partners in the U.S. and internationally.
Acquisitions and Divestitures
- Identified acquisition targets, conducted due diligence assessment and recommended acquisition targets with values up to $750 million.
- Integration of research groups from new acquisitions into the existing organization.
- Presentations to acquisition teams from interested parties in the sale of businesses.
Intellectual Property (IP) Management
- Championed the value of intellectual property for the business.
- Leader of an intellectual property team while developing the IP strategy and managing the IP issues for the business.
- Aligned the IP portfolio with the market needs, raising the percent of patents with demonstrated commercial value from 30% to 75%.
- Planning and complex problem solving sessions.
- Recognized as an expert on pearlescent pigments and effect materials.
- Invented a new class of effect pigments.
Site and Facility Management
- Managed day-to-day operation for two stand alone laboratory sites.
- Responsible for employee safety and air emissions, water and solid waste discharges and regulatory compliance.
- Implementation of significant improvements to sites including, new HVAC systems, new heating systems, and the refurbishing of the laboratories and offices.
Honors & Publications
Patents and Presentations
- 6 U.S. Patents related to pearlescent pigments and effect pigments.
- Prepared and delivered numerous presentations to audiences including scientists, senior corporate executives, investment bankers, alliance partners and acquisition teams.
- Presented training programs to scientists, sales people, marketing teams, and key customers.
Ph.D., Chemistry, Seton Hall University, Analytical Chemistry emphasis
M.S., Chemistry, Stevens Institute of Technology, Physical Chemistry emphasis
B.S., Chemistry, Stevens Institute of Technology