Food and Beverage Packaging Consultant
Technical Consultant #1462
- Food science and related food packaging materials and systems.
- Aseptic food packaging.
- Product and package interaction.
- Barrier plastic packaging.
- PET bottles filling above 190 F.
- Development of deep draw thin gage polypropylene block copolymer thermoformed trays for baked products.
- Retortable and hot fill plastic packaging; retortable microwavable shelf stable plastic packaging.
- Packaging technology assessment and commercialization.
- Consumer Packaging/Product Development. Certified by the Society of Packaging and Handling Engineers
- Expert Witness related to food packaging, food packaging equipment and packaging materials.
Independent Consultant, 2006 - Present
- Food science and packaging materials and systems, including horizontal and vertical packaging technology.
Campbell USA, 1987 - 2006
Director of Packaging, 2004 - 2006
- Lead a department of 30, responsible for all structural package, design, development, materials specification, and new package commercialization for Campbell's $4 billion North American consumer products division.
- Implemented multi million dollars of cost savings annually across a broad spectrum of materials, products and packaging systems.
- Developed a "packaging innovation pipeline'" which resulted in a steady stream of cost effective packaging innovation over the next 5 years.
- Research and development, representative to supply chain.
Research and Development, VP Food Service, 1999 - 2004
- Lead Campbell's research and development for their $500 million Away From Home Division (Food Service), with focus on unique customer centric go to market behavior and products.
- Developed technical and business strategies for innovative frozen, refrigerated and shelf stable soups, sauces and baked goods, which generated double digit increases in the top and bottom line.
- Managed the reformulation and transfer of manufacture of over 100 SKU's representing over $100 million in sales from Canadian plants to the U.S. in six weeks, in response to BSE crisis.
- Implemented annualized savings of $16 million over the five year time frame.
Director, Senior Manager of Packaging, Campbell's Beverages, 1987-1999
- Designed and implemented organizational changes which aligned resources with the business, and led to dramatic increases in departmental productivity and customer satisfaction.
- Co-Lead large technical teams responsible for implementing major programs such as EZO end conversion across the entire US canned soup business, and installation/qualification of aseptic broth capability in the US and Canada.
- Led the development of the first PET bottles filled above 190 F and drove the 100% conversion of Campbell's beverages (V8, TJ, and Splash) out of glass and into hot filled PET bottle.
- Led the team that developed and commercialized the revolutionary Soup at hand concept.
- Led the first successful introduction of low acid food products in retortable microwavable shelf stable plastic packaging at Campbell Soup Co., in both heat sealed and double seamed containers.
- Led the team that developed and commercialized the revolutionary "Soup at hand concept" and the first successful introduction of low acid food products in retortable microwavable shelf stable plastic packaging.
- At the direction of the CEO, led a groundbreaking market research study on the "wet soup package of the future," which resulted in new techniques in market research, as well as valuable consumer direction.
RJR Nabisco, 1976 -1987 Senior Engineer, Manager of Corporate Packaging, 1981 -1987
- Developed the first deep draw thin gage polypropylene block copolymer thermoformed trays for baked products for improved organoleptic and distribution performance.
- Installed the first CAD system for designing and specifying packaging materials and specifications.(CPB and Nabisco).
- Developed flexible packaging strategies representing savings of $5 million in flexible packaging applications on horizontal wrapping applications.
Packaging Engineer, TJ Lipton 1978 - 1981
- Developed retail and food service packaging for Tea concentrate, Wishbone salad dressing, dry soup, Iced tea mix, tea bags, etc.
- Conducted beverage experiments on the first aseptic Tetra line in the USA.
Beverage Chemist, TJ Lipton 1976 - 1978
- Developed formulas for canned, dry and fountain iced tea.
- Packed tea concentrate on the first tetra machine in the USA.
Honors & Publications
- Led teams who won over 20 packaging awards for innovation in the last 15 years, including 5 Du Pont awards, two package of the year, 3 clear choice, and Food Packager of the year in 2005.
- Certified by the Society of Packaging and Handling Engineers.
M.S. Industrial Engineering with a Specialization in Packaging, Rutgers University
B.S. Food Science, Rutgers University