Metals/Oxides, Semiconductors, and Polymers Analytical Chemist Consultant
Technical Consultant #1455
- Analytical chemistry, including identification of "unknown" materials.
- Chemical synthesis and testing laboratory.
- Chemical equilibria and ion activity in concentrated and corrosive solutions.
- Physical chemistry, thermodynamics, reaction kinetics and electrochemistry.
- Materials chemistry, processing and physical properties.
- SEM, IR NMR, GC, HPLC and Microprobe elemental analysis.
- Microprobe elemental analysis.
- Magnetic materials chemistry, structure and magnetic property measurements.
- OSHA regulatory compliance, including "Hazard Communications" and "Laboratory Standards."
- Technical staff training, laboratory and instrument operation.
- Market research and business plan development.
Independent Chemical Consultant, 1999 - Present
Selected list of projects
- Biochemical manufacturer: Ensured import/export, Home Land Security (DHS), state, and local regulatory compliance.
- Stainless steel processor: Developed methods to monitor etching bath composition with atomic absorption spectroscopy of trace metal ions, pH analysis and modeling of sulfuric and chromic acid solutions.
- Trained analytical laboratory staff.
- Auto parts manufacturer: Identified "unknown" industrial adhesives by FT-IR spectroscopy.
- Testing laboratory: Developed testing methodology for measuring corrosive gases at ppm and ppb concentration using mass spectrometry.
- Chemical manufacturer: Analyzed customer shipment issues by FT-IR spectroscopy and SEM electron microscopy.
- Silicon semiconductor processing: Optimized the composition of silicon wafer cleaning solutions and developed a chemical equilibrium model for hydrofluoric acid (HF/NH3/HCl/H2O) solutions for class 1 clean room protocol.
University Faculty, Analytical and Physical Chemistry, 1987 - 2007
- Instructor: Chemical equilibria, laboratory analysis, thermodynamics, spectroscopy and HPLP and GC chromatography, including laboratory safety.
- Research interests: Magnetic materials and single crystal metal oxide crystal growth.
Chemical Studies and Guidance in the Following Areas
- Agriculture & Food Processing Chemistry
- Acid/Base/Buffer Chemistry
- Chemical Hygiene & Safety
- Chemical Synthesis & Purification
- Crystal Structure
- Customer Reports on Chemical Analysis
- Identification of Suppliers
- Magnetic Materials
- OSHA & Safety Compliance
- Oxidation/Reduction Reactions
- Process Optimization
- Properties of Materials
- Radon & Radiation Monitoring
- Semiconductor Processing
- Waste Disposal
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Chair of County Local Emergency Planning Committee
- Treasurer of American Chemical Society Local Section
- Program Chair and Councilor of American Chemical Society Technical Division
- Author of referred publications and conference presentations on magnetic susceptibility, magnetic anisotropy, resistivity, laser fluorescence and photoionization, and chemical equilibrium.
- Ph.D. Chemistry, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK
- B.S. Chemistry, Carrol College, Waukesha, WI