- Physical chemistry and behavior of semi-crystalline polymers and amorphous polymers and pharmaceutical solids.
- Thermal analysis of polymers using TSC (Thermally Stimulated Current) instruments.
- Electro initiated polymerization as a potential coating technique.
- The chemistry of UV curable monomers and resins for coatings.
- Kinetics and mechanism of trioxane homopolymerization and copolymerization, particularly in the production of acetal copolymer engineering plastics.
- Kinetics and mechanism of poly(acrylonitrile) conversion to carbon fiber, synthesis of elastomeric acetal polymers, crystallization kinetics of poly(phenylenesulfide), and fundamental studies on the development of mechanical properties liquid crystal polymer (LCP) fibers and LCP materials.
- Polymer physics including methods of thermal analysis, SEM, dynamic mechanical analysis, dielectric relaxation, kinetic methods and ion beam technology.
- Kinetics of polymerization and thermodynamics of polymerization.
Independent Consultant, 2002 - Present
Undisclosed University 2002 - Present
- Visiting scientist and technical consultant in molecular materials science and thermal analytical methods.
TherMold Partners, LP, Senior Research Fellow, 1999 - 2002
- Manufacture of TSC (Thermally Stimulated Current) instruments.
- Responsible for maintaining technical viability, developing technical strategy and technical interface with customers.
Hoechst Celanese Corporate Research and Technology, Senior Research Associate 1972 - 1998
- Responsible for aligning, directing, and implementing technical programs. Involved in full range of technology process including laboratory research, product development and technical management.
- Defined the mechanism and kinetic scheme to describe copolymerization reaction of trioxane and co monomers such as ethylene oxide in the the production of "Celcon" acetal copolymer resin.
- Management Training: Completed multi-year corporate leadership program designed to enhance skills at strategic planning, project implementation and group management.
- Leadership: Led a 10 member team that developed a high temperature, dimensionally stable PET molding resin for the IMPET product line. Developed test procedures for customer molding trial evaluation.
- Technology Innovation: Invented techniques to study freeze-dried proteins and frozen sucrose solutions by Thermally Stimulated Current (TSC). Methods addressed important problems in pharmaceutical processing and product stability.
- Industrial Research: Formulated mechanism and kinetic scheme to describe copolymerization reaction for the production of "Celcon" acetal copolymer. This description was incorporated into a numerical model of the production reactor. This mechanism is often referenced in monographs on acetal resin polymerization.
Honors & Publications
- Inventor or co-inventor of 25 U.S. patents.
- Author of 21 publications.
- Ph.D. Polymer Physical Chemistry, State University of New York College of Forestry at Syracuse University, Syracuse, New York
- B.A. Chemistry, Occidental College, Los Angeles, California