Medicinal Chemist Consultant: Atherosclerosis, Allergy Respiratory and Inflammation Therapies
Technical Consultant #1423
- Experienced medicinal chemist. Delivered 17 active pharmaceutical compounds into development with the most advanced currently in Phase 2 trials.
- Served 6 years on clinical development teams and co - chaired the HIV protease development team.
- Sustained record of delivering quality API clinical candidates for atherosclerosis, infectious disease, allergy respiratory, inflammation, and cardiovascular therapies.
- 8 years of pharmaceutical discovery management, including utilizing external chemists, restructuring portfolios, and mentoring 50 chemistry colleagues.
- Experienced with most pharmaceutical target types including: Enzymes, proteases, kinases, GPCRs, nuclear hormone receptors, ion channels and projects of unknown mechanism.
- Developed and implemented a chemistry department performance management philosophy and career development process as a member of the chemistry executive leadership team.
- Licensing team contributor for 8 years performing due diligence on drug candidates.
Pfizer Pharmaceuticals, Groton, CT and Ann Arbor, MI, 1999 - 2007
Senior Director Cardiovascular/Atherosclerosis Chemistry, Ann Arbor, MI
- Led a group of 35 - 50 chemists working on FXa, HMGCoA reducase, PPARs, renin, and other targets delivering multiple clinical candidates per year.
- Chair of the CV Athero discovery team responsible for therapeutic area deliverables, scientific diligence, project entry and termination, cross discipline alignment and portfolio progression.
- Implemented exploratory chemistry meetings that enhanced the scientific rigor of chemical matter triage, reduced project time lines and improved alignment with partner lines.
Inflammation Chemistry: Parallel Synthesis Lab, Groton, CT
- Managed a group of approximately 30 (11 Ph.D.) chemists working on P2X7, P38, MMP13, Glucocorticoid Receptor Modulators, and other targets that delivered a clinical candidate per year.
- Improved the zone parallel synthesis lab impact by ensuring full integration into project teams.
- Stopped a compound from entering development due to unnecessary safety risks.
Manager Allergy and Respiratory Chemistry, Groton, CT
- Managed a group of 18 (6 Ph.D.) chemists working on PDE - 4, VLA4, CCR - 3, and other targets that delivered a clinical candidate per year.
- Implemented exploratory chemistry meetings enhancing chemical matter diligence, improving biology, chemistry, drug metabolism alignment, and ensuring a sustained portfolio.
Parke - Davis Pharmaceuticals, Ann Arbor, MI, 1989 - 1999
- Coordinator of Antiviral chemistry: Worked with the Infectious Disease management team to prioritize projects targeting HIV, HSV, and CMV.
- Coordinated 11 chemists (3 Ph.D.) working on targets including Fab - I, Non - peptide HIV - protease, HIV - integrase and others.
- Coordinator of the HIV - protease project.
- Built a highly functional anti viral chemical team that went from mass screen hits to nominating several development compounds.
- Atherosclerosis chemical coordinator of the 15 - lipoxygenase project
- Worked on CNS-CCKB antagonists and radical scavengers for Atherosclerosis.
Schering - Plough Pharmaceuticals, Kenilworth, NJ, 1987 - 1989
- Experience with atherosclerosis (ACAT inhibitors) and CNS (dopamine D - 1 antagonists).
Honors & Publications
- American Chemical Society; Organic and Medicinal Chemistry Divisions; IUPAC; Sigma Xi, AAAS
- 22 publications and co-publications. Details available upon request.
- 20 patents. Details available upon request.
- Post - Doc., Yale University, New Haven, CT
- Ph.D., Organic Chemistry, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI
- B.S., Chemistry, ACS Certified Degree, Andrews University, Berrien Springs, MI