- Directional Infrared countermeasures (DIRCM) including aircraft protection against heat seeking missiles.
- Infrared and optical sensor systems for reconnaissance and weapon guidance.
- Sensor systems for ballistic missile defense.
- Electronic warfare flight trials, test and evaluation.
- High energy laser directed energy weapons.
- High power microwave directed energy weapons.
- Operational effectiveness of weapons and countermeasures and technology transfer programs (TTP).
- GPS jamming and operational effectiveness.
- Camouflage effectiveness and human perception trials.
NATO C3 Agency, The Hague, NL 1993 - 2006
Principal Scientist, Sensors and Surveillance Branch, Electronic Warfare Branch
- Infrared signatures and countermeasures analysis (IRCM). Developed instrumentation van and conducted IR signature trials for the E - 3A and other aircraft.
- Participated in several NATO air trials of IR countermeasures and evaluated decoy effectiveness for large aircraft.
- Developed model of directional infrared countermeasures (DIRCM) effectiveness against IR missile seekers and provided advice on DIRCM installation on wide body aircraft, including the NATO E - 3A Airborne Warning and Control System (AWACS).
- Vulnerability reduction against man-portable air-defense systems (MANPADS).
Ballistic Missile Defense
- Sensor systems engineering: Provided expert advice in NATO missile defense feasibility studies and managed sensor study sub contracts.
- Conducted performance analysis and requirements definition for orbital sensor systems.
- Analyzed the concept of Airborne Infrared for Early Warning sensor performance for High Altitude Long Endurance (HALE) sensor platforms.
- Evaluated system level performance of the Airborne Laser system and its integration into the missile defense battle space.
- Provided support on Ballistic Missile Defense (BMD) command and control and battle management issues.
- Produced a major study for NATO military command on directed energy weapons. The report included analysis of non - linear propagation effects from high power laser pulses that can form the basis for spectral remote sensing techniques in chemical weapon detection.
- Project Manager for the NATO ISS (Imaging Seeker Surrogate), an advanced infrared sensor with real time image processing functions.
- Studies of multi spectral camouflage. Co-chair of NATO RTA (Real-Time Analysis) symposium on camouflage, concealment and deception evaluation techniques at the US Defense Intelligence Agency.
Alenia Aerospace, Project Engineer, Rome, IT 1989 - 1993
- Project engineer for a fiber optic guided missile. Responsible for major missile system contract, responsible for project planning, cost estimates, system engineering plan and work breakdown structure.
- Sensor integration, Avionics Division. Duties included integration and modification studies for laser designator targeting pod for an Italian Air Force project.
- Analyzed atmospheric effects on sensing performance.
- Modified LOWTRAN software to produce additional outputs required.
Aerojet Electrosystems, Sensor Systems Engineer, Los Angeles, CA 1984 - 1989
- Design and testing of infrared seekers for smart munitions and anti-air seekers. Included arranging and executing flight trials, analysis of weapons effects depending on hit point location.
- Developed design of IR seeker for Standard Missile 2. Developed specifications for advanced sensor - fused munitions.
Honors & Publications
- Member SPIE.
- Active security clearance US TS; NATO COSMIC CTS/A; Italy N.O.S.
- B.S. Physics, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- M.S. Systems Engineering, West Coast University, Los Angeles, CA