- Drug discovery research; organic and medicinal chemistry research and research planning.
- Design, multi-step synthesis and characterization of novel compounds for biological evaluation that lead to drug candidates.
- Lead optimization, structure-based drug design and structure activity relationships (SARs).
- Solid and solution phase combinatorial library and parallel synthesis.
- Library of multi-functional peptide molecules as protein capture compounds towards proteomics research.
- Enzymatic resolution/separation of various chiral compounds and asymmetric synthesis.
- Practical and efficient routes to drug candidates for pre-clinical studies.
- Bioconjugate techniques involved in peptide, protein and lipid biochemistry.
- Supervising synthesis and purification of small molecule programs.
- Analytical instrumentation for characterization of small molecule drugs, peptides, proteins and their biophysical properties: NMR, HPLC, LC-MS, IR, UV-Vis spectrophotometers, fluorescence spectrophotometers, Parallel synthesizer.
- Multi-gram through pilot plant scale preparation of active pharmaceutical agents, synthetic route design and implementation, reaction trouble-shooting and optimization.
Undisclosed Medical Research Center, 2007 - Present
- Medicinal chemistry research.
Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, San Diego, CA, 2006
- Total synthesis of natural products (bulatacin).
- Synthesis of anticancer agents.
Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, 2004 - 2005
- Department of Medicinal Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology, School of Pharmacy, Cancer Center
- As Researcher: Design and synthesis of anticancer agents.
- Synthesis and mechanistic evaluation of anticancer drugs.
- Chemical probes for protein prenylation.
- Synthesis of carbon-13 labeled farnesyl transerfase inhibitors for cancer.
University of Washington, Department of Chemistry, Seattle, WA, 2001 - 2003
- Solid and solution phase peptide synthesis, parallel or individual
- Solid phase organic synthesis, small molecule drug discovery for cystic fibrosis.
- Small molecule libraries, each composed of a variable aromatic ring, one of four heterocyclic /spacer moieties, and a hydroxamic acid.
- Evaluated the LpxC inhibition of these compound against P. aeruginosa enzyme.
- Several novel compounds demonstrated in vitro IC50 values less than 1 micro molar (key: peptide coupling, oxazine, oxazoline, DAST-cyclization, amino acids, in vitro assay).
- Investigated another class of peptide based inhibitors against P. areruginosa LpxC that demonstrated IC50 values 2-50 nm ranges (Key: peptide coupling, Suzuki reaction, Sonogashira reaction, reductive amination, in vitro and vivo assay).
National Taiwan University, Department of Chemistry, Taipei, Taiwan, 1999 - 2000
- Developed methods for synthesis of sulfenyzed acylsilanes and aldehydes, as the intermediates in organic synthesis (Key: silylation, alkylation, acylsilane).
- Tandem radical cyclization of acylsilane towards construction of triquinane skeleton, a natural product. (Key: Acylsilane, Grignard, radical cyclization, exo/endo, bicyclicbicyclic and tricyclic compounds formation).
Jadavpur University, Department of Chemistry, Calcutta, India Doctoral Researcher, 1993 - 1998
- Convenient synthesis of several types of nitrogen, oxygen and selenium containing heterocyclic compounds.
- Synthesis of naturally occurring flavanoids compounds (Key: Nitrone formation, hypervalent iodine chemistry).
- Research a convenient route to pyrrole derivatives, a class of potentially biologically active compounds (key: Hetro-Diels-Alder reaction).
- Research a new route for construction of azatricyclic compounds (Key: hypervalent iodine reagent, Diels-Alder).
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Senior Research Fellowship, University Grants Commission (UGC), Government of India
- Junior Research Fellowship, University Grants Commission, Government of India
- Indian Science Congress, life member
- American Chemical Society
- Member of Royal Society of Chemistry (MRSC), UK
- Reviewer for Journal of Organic Chemistry, Organic Letters, Tetrahedron Letters, Tetrahedron, Synthesis, Synlett, European Journal of Organic Chemistry, Journal of Molecular Catalysis, Canadian Journal of Chemistry, Langmuir, Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry Letters.
- Biography published in America in Science and Engineering
- Author and Co-Author of over 48 publications in peer review medical and chemical journals, manuscripts and 9 presentations.
- Ph.D. Organic Chemistry, Jadavpur University, Calcutta, India
- M.S. Organic Chemistry, Kanpur University, Kanpur, India
- B.Ed. Midnapore V TT College, Vidyasagar University, Midnapore, India
- B.S. Chemistry (With Honors), Vidyasagar University, Midnapore, India