- Cell culture/bioprocess, protein expression, protein purification, and surface sciences.
- Significantly improved recombinant protein yields (>10x to >1 g/L) in E. coli cultures by rational medium design and bioprocess optimization.
- Extensive cell culture experience for a wide range of cell types (e.g. mammalian cell lines, primary cells, bacteria and fungi).
- Specialized in cell selection, cultivation, characterization and recovery.
- Protein purification processes and protein purification strategies.
- Expertise spans from upstream cell and protein production to downstream product purification for both mammalian and bacterial cells, including the development of novel bioanalytical assays.
- Provide supports for proposal writing and drafted progress reports for research grants.
- Cell Culture: Medium optimization; strain selection; bioprocess development; automated bioreactors; bench-top fermenters; flow cytometry and FACS; magnetic cell sorting; blood gas analyzer; YSI glucose and lactate analyzer; Nova Biomedical analyzer; osmometer; Coulter counter; histological staining; cell banking, cryopreservation; sterile techniques (BL1 & 2); fluorescence and confocal microscopy.
- Protein & DNA: Molecular cloning; PCR; protein expression and protein purification; HPLC (RP, SE & IE); SDS/native PAGE; Western blotting; ELISA; MALDI-MS; peptide mapping; radio labeling (P32, I125 and H3); protein conjugation and immobilization; ligand binding and cell adhesion assays; FRET.
- Surface Sciences: BIAcore SPR, XPS, AFM, QCM and ellipsometry; clean room experience; metal evaporation; lithography techniques; micro-contact printing; microfluidics; SAMs; polymerization.
Biotechnology Firm, Senior Research Scientist 2006 - present
- Sustain and improve the performance of a key technology platforms.
- Develop, troubleshoot and standardize SOPs for biochemical assays. Maintain lab safety standards.
- Optimize surface chemistry and immobilization techniques for proteins and nucleic acids.
- Design, characterize and troubleshoot microfluidics and bio-MEMS devices.
- Secure and maintain relationships with CMOs, vendors and oversea suppliers for biological materials.
Duke University, Dept. of Biomedical Engineering & Center for Biologically Inspired Materials & Material Systems (CBIMMS), Post - doctoral Researcher 2003 - 2006
Biomolecular Engineering: Improved Production of polypeptide based materials.
- Significantly improved recombinant protein yields by medium design and bioprocess optimization.
- Developed a GFP based detection system with flow cytometry and fluorescence microscopy to monitor protein expression and purification efficiency in batch and fed-batch shaker flask cultures.
Surface Science: Surface initiated Enzymatic Polymerization of DNA for Biosensing.
- Successfully developed patterning / lithography techniques on a non-fouling polymeric layer.
- Quantitatively evaluated the performance of a novel biosensing technology using various surface characterization techniques (AFM, XPS, SPR, ellipsometry and contact angle goniometry).
Northwestern University, Dept. of Chemical Engineering, Graduate Research Assistant 1997 - 2003
- Evaluated cell culture performance, cellular responses and signaling events of hematopoietic stem cells/cell lines with flow cytometry, histological assays, western blots and pulse-chase assays.
- Immobilized protein molecules on surfaces, characterized conjugated protein, and determined surface density, conjugation efficiency and binding/desorption kinetics.
- Developed mathematical models for ligand receptor trafficking in a mammalian cell line and oxygen transfer in the bone marrow hematopoietic compartment.
- Coordinated research activities of 2 masters students and 3 junior doctoral students. Trained and supervised 3 undergraduate students on research projects.
Honors & Publications
Authored, co-authored or presented:
- 2 US patents
- 7 peer-reviewed articles
- 4 review papers/book chapters
- 2 invited presentations
- 10 conference abstracts and proceedings
Most cited 2006 paper in Biotechnology Progress.
Ph.D., Chemical Engineering, Northwestern University
M.S., Chemical Engineering, Northwestern University
B.S. with Highest Distinction, Chemical Engineering, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Burroughs Wellcome Fellowship finalist, Duke University
- Distinguished BME Postdoctoral Fellowship finalist, Johns Hopkins University
- Northwestern University Terminal Year Dissertation Fellowship, 2001, Northwestern University Murphy Fellowship